Pro96Com with USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundance

Trying to set up Pro96 with the USB bus cable & am not getting any data. I switched it to port 1 and am getting in use on the screen. The program is making requests, but I am not seeing any data. I am monitoring Denver at this time. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

seamusg

sundance said:
Trying to set up Pro96 with the USB bus cable & am not getting any data. I switched it to port 1 and am getting in use on the screen. The program is making requests, but I am not seeing any data. I am monitoring Denver at this time. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
What are you trying to do. You can only program the scanner with Pro96. The PRO96 and PRO2096 cannot be computer controled.

sundance

Correct. I want to use the Pro96Com software to decode the 9600 APCO-P25 channel info. This comes up with all kinds of interesting data on the activity of the various towers. Even shows the radio ID of the current user.

luke-1

sundance said:
Correct. I want to use the Pro96Com software to decode the 9600 APCO-P25 channel info. This comes up with all kinds of interesting data on the activity of the various towers. Even shows the radio ID of the current user.

First things first.

Denver is not a APCO-P-25 system, try monitoring one of the State DTRS P-25 towers, then we can troubleshoot from there if need be.

Luke

RISC777

Put in a control channel freq of 868.7750 or 868.9750.
Then choose a talk group ID, uh... say, 0006, 0008, 0029, 1851, 0033, 0035, 1495, 1053.
(Those are various FD dispatch TGs.)

Al42

You can't monitor data with the USB cable - you need a discriminator tap and a slicer. The USB cable is only for transferring frequencies, talkgroups, alpha tags, etc., to and from the scanner - in programming mode, not in scanning mode.

n3bxv

Al42 said:
You can't monitor data with the USB cable - you need a discriminator tap and a slicer. The USB cable is only for transferring frequencies, talkgroups, alpha tags, etc., to and from the scanner - in programming mode, not in scanning mode.

No, Actually with the Pro-96 and Pro96com program you CAN monitor 9600 baud Project-25 control channels using the cable and your computer, without a tap or slicer.

for more info -- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pro96com/

luke-1 said:
First things first.
Denver is not a APCO-P-25 system, try monitoring one of the State DTRS P-25 towers, then we can troubleshoot from there if need be.
Luke

Luke has pointed out why it's not working in this case. It only works with 9600 baud control channels.

Last edited:

seamusg

When you go to the MAN mode on the control channel the bottom line of the PRO96 must start with 96 - if not it is not a 9600 baud system. PRO96COM will only work with a 9600 baud system.

seamusg

Al42 said:
The mode for reading the control channel data is:
PC/IF PORT
REMOTE ACCESS

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
sundance said:

That's problem #1, pro96com will not decode Denver as that's not a p-25 9600 baud system, try it on the state system using one of the many control channels listed in the database and you should have better results.

Also check pro96com group on yahoo groups, for a complete list of the Colorado D1C statewide 9600 baud digital system files, talkgroups and tower files from each site.

Jim<

luke-1

And just so everyone is clear on the cable-

RS has a new usb cable that works great with Pro96Com

Luke

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Excellent

Thanks for clarifying the new USB cable does work with PRO96COM.

I just made the mistake of upgrading the home computer. :lol:

Talk about moving forward and going backward at the same time. I Wonder if they sell serial cards like they did back in the XT computer days. :p

Phil.

seamusg

scanlist said:
Thanks for clarifying the new USB cable does work with PRO96COM.

I just made the mistake of upgrading the home computer. :lol:

Talk about moving forward and going backward at the same time. I Wonder if they sell serial cards like they did back in the XT computer days. :p

Phil.
They still sell them, I have 4 serial ports on my machine. I added 2 last year.

n0nhp

I have both a serial and a USB cable for my 96,

The standard serial cable can be left in the data port while setting things up and changing channels. The USB cable will automatically place the radio in clone mode when plugged in. To get the Pro96Com to work,
set the scanner on a valid 9600 baud control channel with the manual button
press pgm - func - pgm - pgm
insert usb cable in data port on the radio
click start data read on Pro96com

if still not seeing the data, check under control panel, system, hardware, device manager, ports to see what port the computer assigned to the cable. If you change usb ports on your computer it will sometimes assign an new serial port number to the cable.
Make sure Pro96Com setup matches the assigned serial port.

sundance

Thanks Luke & everyone else. Once I learned what channel to use, all of a sudden I am getting lots of data. Hope to see everyone Sunday at the meeting.

luke-1

sundance said:
Thanks Luke & everyone else. Once I learned what channel to use, all of a sudden I am getting lots of data. Hope to see everyone Sunday at the meeting.

Great!

We'll see you Sunday, I can show you some tricks to get the most out of the software.

Luke

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
If they still have them available....

The 20-047 USB scanner programming cable is going for $17.49 at COLORADO STORES in the process of closing.

Everything in the parts drawers are at 60% off allready.

Phil.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Oh ya... And if you want the actually part drawers..... they are for sale too! =)

RISC777

abqscan said:
Oh ya... And if you want the actually part drawers..... they are for sale too! =)
Serious? I could use those, but driving to the Springs for them with gas costs what they are . . .

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
RISC777 said:
Serious? I could use those, but driving to the Springs for them with gas costs what they are . . .

Who said anything about driving to the Springs, there are lots of Colorado stores closing.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.