Problem USB Power/Data Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
This afternoon the USB cable that I use to program and power my WS-1088 stopped working. I checked the cable on my GRE-800 and it works fine.
Any suggestions on what the problem might be and how it might be fixed? I can still use the scanner with regular alkaline batteries, but can no longer charge the batteries in the scanner or program it. Thanks in advance for any help.
jimg

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
You can pick it up on Whistler, Amazon or eBay for $10-20, until you order a new one just share it with the 800. Just like the charging cable for your cell phone, they wear out.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
This afternoon the USB cable that I use to program and power my WS-1088 stopped working. I checked the cable on my GRE-800 and it works fine.
Any suggestions on what the problem might be and how it might be fixed? I can still use the scanner with regular alkaline batteries, but can no longer charge the batteries in the scanner or program it. Thanks in advance for any help.
jimg
If your GRE-800 works with your cable, but the WS1080 does not, then that sounds like it's scanner, not cable, problem. If you did the "legacy upgrade" on it, then you could send it to Whistler for repair.

While this does not "fix" your 'can't charge' issue, you should be able to use a card reader to program the scanner.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, @hiegtx has the better response, I thought the cable was the issue but it sounds like the scanner is. And, using a card reader and programming direct to the SD card works a lot faster.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It's like a night and day difference on my TRX-1. If I update with the card in the scanner, you could almost get a pizza delivered before it finishes. Using a card reader instead, the process goes much faster.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
If your GRE-800 works with your cable, but the WS1080 does not, then that sounds like it's scanner, not cable, problem. If you did the "legacy upgrade" on it, then you could send it to Whistler for repair.

While this does not "fix" your 'can't charge' issue, you should be able to use a card reader to program the scanner.

That's what I was thinking as well, it's probably the port where the USB cable plugs in.
Any idea what time and cost I would be looking at if I decide to send it to Whistler for repair?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
That's what I was thinking as well, it's probably the port where the USB cable plugs in.
Any idea what time and cost I would be looking at if I decide to send it to Whistler for repair?

You really need to call them and see, they are really helpful and turn around is as quick as possible depending how many other units are ahead of yours. They do have a flat fee for repairs (I believe), but again talk to them and you might be pleasantly surprised. You can also reach out to them by email or on the forums/DM at @Whistler_Support and see what they think the problem may be. A number of issues can be corrected by messages.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
It's like a night and day difference on my TRX-1. If I update with the card in the scanner, you could almost get a pizza delivered before it finishes. Using a card reader instead, the process goes much faster.
I have been thinking about buying a TRX-1 to replace my 1088. Would you recommend the TRX-1?
jimg

jimg

Premium Subscriber
You really need to call them and see, they are really helpful and turn around is as quick as possible depending how many other units are ahead of yours. They do have a flat fee for repairs (I believe), but again talk to them and you might be pleasantly surprised. You can also reach out to them by email or on the forums/DM at @Whistler_Support and see what they think the problem may be. A number of issues can be corrected by messages.
I'll do that and thanks very much for your prompt reply!
jimg

DJ11DLN

I have been thinking about buying a TRX-1 to replace my 1088. Would you recommend the TRX-1?
jimg
I have a TRX-1 and if you like your 1088, you will probably like it too. Do you have a lot of NXDN to monitor? Because decoding NXDN is really about the only thing the TRX can do that the 1088 can't. I don't have much here but by the time I got around to buying it the 1088 was NLA.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

I've had mine for over 4 years and love it, no issues or problems. There are a number of people who report issues with simulcast systems, but I have not experienced that on mine. It has given me good reception on all modes and, unlike some, find EZ Scan a good program. And, I agree with @DJ11DLN except for the NXDN I'm just as happy with my WS1098 and PRO668 with Legacy Upgrade to WS1080.

I'll do that and thanks very much for your prompt reply!

No problem, one of the things I like about Whistler is the customer service they provide.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX-1 and if you like your 1088, you will probably like it too. Do you have a lot of NXDN to monitor? Because decoding NXDN is really about the only thing the TRX can do that the 1088 can't. I don't have much here but by the time I got around to buying it the 1088 was NLA.
"NLA" ??
jimg

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
jimg
For the TRX-1, Simulcast is it's weak point, but if you are not having any issues with simulcast on your PSR-800 or WS1088, the TRX-1 should work for you. It is a nice "hand-friendly" size to grab & go. Like most GRE & Whistler scanners, it has good sensitivity for weak signals, but not so good selectivity as far as ignoring adjacent channels. It also does not play well in an area with multiple cell towers. That can cause the scanner to desense, and thus hear less. But again, if that's not a problem for your other two scanners, then it should not be for the TRX-1 either.

The Whistler scanners do not actually track a trunked DMR or NXDN system. They simply scan the programmed frequencies & look for activity on any of the talkgroups you programmed. You can't specifically hold on a talkgroup (but you can with the Uniden scanners since they do track the system). But if the DMR or NXDN systems in your area are not heavily loaded (lots of active users), then you might not notice any issues.

If you are considering the TRX-1 to replace one of your scanners, I'd be more inclined to replace the PSR-800 than the WS1088, since it's a newer model. However, since you have a problem with the USB on the 1088, that might affect your choice.

I just noticed that I mentioned the "legacy upgrade" earlier, which actually does not apply to the WS1088. The upgrade on the PSR-800 in effect makes it into a WS1080, and adds DMR capability. I'd still see what Whistler says about repairing the WD1088's USB connection.

baker50021

Before I did anything, I would get out my trusty magnifying glass and a can of compressed air and GENTLY blow out the port on the scanner, it may be something as simple as a couple of dust bunnies living there. Then I would try a new cable. If you are still having problems I would then give Whistler a call and get their advice.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Before I did anything, I would get out my trusty magnifying glass and a can of compressed air and GENTLY blow out the port on the scanner, it may be something as simple as a couple of dust bunnies living there. Then I would try a new cable. If you are still having problems I would then give Whistler a call and get their advice.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Contact cleaner or Isopropyl Alcohol on a Q-tip can help at times also, glad you got it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.