Problem with live feed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDaddy

For the last couple of years I’ve been using a Uniden BCT15 for my streaming audio feed on RR. Recently I started using a BCD436HP for the live feed. This unit works fine using the headphone out on the hand held scanner. Now, yesterday I tried to use my BCD536HP using the headphone out on this unit. I cant get the 536HP to work with the feed – no sound, using the same cable. The unit works perfectly when I plug in a set of headphones. Is there a setting on the 536HP I’m missing? Thanks.

Live feed is here: In The Heartland - Hale, Missouri 64643 Local Weather Conditions

Thanks for any help.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
For the last couple of years I’ve been using a Uniden BCT15 for my streaming audio feed on RR. Recently I started using a BCD436HP for the live feed. This unit works fine using the headphone out on the hand held scanner. Now, yesterday I tried to use my BCD536HP using the headphone out on this unit. I cant get the 536HP to work with the feed – no sound, using the same cable. The unit works perfectly when I plug in a set of headphones. Is there a setting on the 536HP I’m missing? Thanks.

Live feed is here: In The Heartland - Hale, Missouri 64643 Local Weather Conditions

Thanks for any help.

This is a well know problem and is has been discussed on several different treads at length.

I would recommend a "search" on RR for this info and depending on how you are set up you will find about everything that can be done has been tried in about every possible way to address this problem.

You will need a "stereo" cable and probably a "Ground loop Isolator" just for starts if I remember all the info that was put out on this problem correctly.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
You will need a "stereo" cable and probably a "Ground loop Isolator" just for starts if I remember all the info that was put out on this problem correctly.

That is only if you're using the line out jack. He is not referring to the line out jack. He is using the headphone jack on the front. You shouldn't have to do anything different or special from the 436.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
That is only if you're using the line out jack. He is not referring to the line out jack. He is using the headphone jack on the front. You shouldn't have to do anything different or special from the 436.

I think that the headphone output on the x36HP radios are all stereo and a mono cable will short-out the left channel and perhaps in time do more damage to the audio amps being used.

I do not think any of the x36HP radios have a "line-out" jack perhaps you mean "speaker-out"? I think only the 536HP has a "speaker out" and I do believe it is mono so a stereo cable should not be used. However, a mono cable probably should use a mono-stereo adapter at the computer card end (for streaming audio) to protect it.

I think it would have been helpful if Uniden had included the information with these radios on how to correctly connect them to the outside world since they appear to be different from most of the radios of the past.

Hopefully, I have not misread anything here for I am a bit pressed for time here and had to respond quickly before having to leave.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
I do not think any of the x36HP radios have a "line-out" jack perhaps you mean "speaker-out"? I think only the 536HP has a "speaker out" and I do believe it is mono so a stereo cable should not be used. However, a mono cable probably should use a mono-stereo adapter at the computer card end (for streaming audio) to protect it.

You are correct, my apologies, I was referring to the speaker out. The special cable is only needed if you use that speaker out jack to record from if I understand correctly. It should have no bearing with the headphone jack on the front. As the OP stated it works fine with the 436 and it works fine with headphones on the 536 but when connected to the computer it doesn't work. I mean I could be wrong but it shouldn't matter as it is output going to an input. Works the same way with with streaming weather radios.

I think it would have been helpful if Uniden had included the information with these radios on how to correctly connect them to the outside world since they appear to be different from most of the radios of the past.

I don't believe that has been provided because that is what the internal web server and App is going to provide which is the reason for them removing the rec out jack as it won't be needed since you can use the internal web server within the scanner to do IP based streaming directly from the scanner instead of wired to a sound card.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
You are correct, my apologies, I was referring to the speaker out. The special cable is only needed if you use that speaker out jack to record from if I understand correctly. It should have no bearing with the headphone jack on the front. As the OP stated it works fine with the 436 and it works fine with headphones on the 536 but when connected to the computer it doesn't work. I mean I could be wrong but it shouldn't matter as it is output going to an input. Works the same way with with streaming weather radios.

I don't believe that has been provided because that is what the internal web server and App is going to provide which is the reason for them removing the rec out jack as it won't be needed since you can use the internal web server within the scanner to do IP based streaming directly from the scanner instead of wired to a sound card.

I think the new audio amps are significantly adversely affected if a ground is introduced (since both sides of the audio output of the x36 radios are hot) and this can result in very low or no audio (it can also damage the audio amp.). This may be happening when he plugs the audio out of the 536 into his computer. The ground loop isolator may help on this front but as I mentioned a lot of other people have had the same problem of trying to use the 536 to "stream audio" (very low or no audio when they plug the audio out into the computer), while their 996xt had worked fine in this capacity using the exact same setup.

I agree that the new App may well be why Uniden did not give instructions on how to correctly "hard wire" the 536 to the outside world but in my opinion since it is going to be several months delayed from the date of introduction of the radio it leaves the people wanting to "stream audio" in a real bind.

However, I am repeating what I have read hear on RR and have no actual real world experience with this problem so please keep that in mind when you read what I am saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.