Problem with stream - Icecast/Oddcast/TalkgroupMonitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7AS

I went to restart my stream (Clark County WA) after a power drop and got an error in Talkgroup Monitor: Unable to connect with encoder.

I checked everything (I think) including monitor.cfg, setproxy.cfg, oddcast settings, icecast settings, com port from scanner, router port forwarding, etc.

Icecast server is running ok, Oddcast says its streaming ok, setproxy has no errors. It's just that Talkgroup Monitor reports an error after every tag is displayed in it's window.

I have a no-ip hostname which has not expired yet.

WinAMP comes up when I click my link on my website. It says connecting, but then nothing is streaming.

Any ideas?

pogbobo

close everything ... then start it all back up and see if that does the trick

and see if you can connect locally using localhost:port and not the no-ip, just in case :)

Last edited:

N7AS

pogbobo said:
close everything ... then start it all back up and see if that does the trick

and see if you can connect locally using localhost:port and not the no-ip, just in case :)

I tried that including rebootint, but still the same. I did notice that Icecast does not generate the status page now. So maybee the problem lies in Icecast?

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
Check you firewall. Settings may have reverted back to original after power loss.
Did you have any exceptions in your windows firewall or do you have any port issues at your hardware firewall?
A quick way to see if it is windows firewall is to disable the firewall and then try it. Put it back afterwards.

Good luck,

Sam Cederas
K4OC
Raleigh, N.C.

N7AS

K4OC said:
Check you firewall. Settings may have reverted back to original after power loss.
Did you have any exceptions in your windows firewall or do you have any port issues at your hardware firewall?
A quick way to see if it is windows firewall is to disable the firewall and then try it. Put it back afterwards.

Good luck,

Sam Cederas
K4OC
Raleigh, N.C.

I checked windows firewall and Icecast is still listed as an exception. I disabled windows firewall and still had the problem.

pogbobo

does oddcast say its connected, and does icecast say its "running", and in the global stats section of icecast does it show that your oddcast source is connected?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
is the icecast server running on teh same PC as Monitor?

Assuming yes..
Make sure your monitor program has the correct MOUNT NAME in the cfg and the correct password (Not changeme)

If everything runs on the same pc (Icecast/Oddcast/Seproxy/Monitor) don't worry about the no-ip... just make sure everything is setup as 'localhost' as the domain.

If that does not work... turn off all firewalls on the pc and see if that works.

PM me your files as text, and I'll help set you straight.
Or, just put them in a reply on the thread.... Can't help you if we can see what's doing.

I've seen enough errors that I can guide you through almost any problems.

N7AS

pogbobo said:
does oddcast say its connected, and does icecast say its "running", and in the global stats section of icecast does it show that your oddcast source is connected?

Oddcast is connected and streaming, Icecast is running and shows source connected.
stats and stats_connections show a value of 0. I can't bring up the stats page which is generated by Icecast... I get page not found.

It was running fine yesterday.

N7AS

w2lie said:
is the icecast server running on teh same PC as Monitor?

Assuming yes..
Make sure your monitor program has the correct MOUNT NAME in the cfg and the correct password (Not changeme)

If everything runs on the same pc (Icecast/Oddcast/Seproxy/Monitor) don't worry about the no-ip... just make sure everything is setup as 'localhost' as the domain.

If that does not work... turn off all firewalls on the pc and see if that works.

PM me your files as text, and I'll help set you straight.
Or, just put them in a reply on the thread.... Can't help you if we can see what's doing.

I've seen enough errors that I can guide you through almost any problems.

The mount name and password in Monitor is ok. All the .cfg's are ok. I tried turning off the firewall and that didn't help, so I turned it back on.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
send or post the following:

Your Icecast XML (Remove Passwords)
Your Oddcast Info (screen shot would do)
Monitor.cfg (remove passwords)
Proxy.cfg (just to play it safe)

If you want, you can e-mail me the info.. I think you still have my address.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Grant,

I was thinking about this, and it sounds like a problem that I have..and just learned to deal with.

After a PC restart, I have Oddcast start automatically.. When it starts, it looks like it connect to Icecast, but its really not doing anything. I have to shut down Oddcast and restart it, and things work...

Here is what to look for
If Oddcast isn't working:
VU Meters will not show any incoming signal.
Oddcast will say "Connected" in the status window.... under Transfer Rate Header

If Oddcast is working:
VU Meters will actively show incoming signal. Double click the VU window to toggle on/off
Oddcast will show current encoder bit rate followed by the mount point under the Transfer Rate Header.

See the below attachment to show a working Oddcast status..
The "16kbps (/ncfd-west)" and "16kbps (/archive-ncfd-west)" in the Transfer Rate Column would be replaced with "Connected" if Oddcast isn't working.

oddcast two feeds.JPG

Last edited:

N7AS

Fixed now...

I got to thinking after I got a ProScan feed working that I look into this ongoing thing with Icecast/Oddcast/Talkgroup Monitor. The problem was that I changed the internal IP in the router and monitor.cfg didn't match up, so I changed monitor.cfg to match the router. Well, that didn't work, so I changed back the cfg and changed the router to match up and that worked. It was just the last set of numbers in the internal IP.

So the feed is back up at Here

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Grant,
It looks like you need to change the MIME association on your webserver.
I had the same problem.. Once I updated the MIME, all the feeds work.

Right now, if I click on your ASX or PLS file, it opens as text in my web browser

But glad the hear you got your networking issues straight!

N7AS

w2lie said:
Grant,
It looks like you need to change the MIME association on your webserver.
I had the same problem.. Once I updated the MIME, all the feeds work.

Right now, if I click on your ASX or PLS file, it opens as text in my web browser

But glad the hear you got your networking issues straight!

I had the last digits in the port forwarding set for 192.168.1.102 and in monitor.cfg it was 192.168.1.101 so I changed the cfg to 102. It didn't work, so I went back to 101 in both and it worked.

When I click on the pls and asx file it opens in WinAMP for me. That's strange that you are getting a text file..

N7AS

w2lie said:
your feed links work on IE
But I use Firefox... so its failing there.

Ok, is there a fix for Firefox? As far as MIME associations, I called GoDaddy and the guy said that it's something I have to do on my end. Is it a line I have to put in my .htaccess file? If so, what?

Tweekerbob

Try going static

N7AS said:
I had the last digits in the port forwarding set for 192.168.1.102 and in monitor.cfg it was 192.168.1.101 so I changed the cfg to 102. It didn't work, so I went back to 101 in both and it worked...
It appears that your computer is set up as a DHCP client and your router (usually by default) is set up as a DHCP server. What this means is that your computer's local IP address will change periodically (more or less depending on your particular router and settings). This is why your stream went down. The IP address of your computer changed so monitor couldn't talk with the encoder.

Go here to set-up a static ip (I make the assumption your on XP, but should be similar for other windows) for your computer so that it's LAN ip addresss never changes. Furthermore, if your encoder and monitor are on the same computer, try using 127.0.0.1 as the ip address. This is the localhost ip address and always points to the computer you are on. You will still need to tell the router to use port forwarding to the static 192.x.x.x address you set up.

Glad to see you worked it out!

Ryan

N7AS

Tweekerbob said:
It appears that your computer is set up as a DHCP client and your router (usually by default) is set up as a DHCP server. What this means is that your computer's local IP address will change periodically (more or less depending on your particular router and settings). This is why your stream went down. The IP address of your computer changed so monitor couldn't talk with the encoder.

Go here to set-up a static ip (I make the assumption your on XP, but should be similar for other windows) for your computer so that it's LAN ip addresss never changes. Furthermore, if your encoder and monitor are on the same computer, try using 127.0.0.1 as the ip address. This is the localhost ip address and always points to the computer you are on. You will still need to tell the router to use port forwarding to the static 192.x.x.x address you set up.

Glad to see you worked it out!

Ryan

I think what I was doing before my feed went down, was trying Prosan as a feed server. I must have changed the port forwarding so nothing worked. What I would really like to do is add a Proscan feed, but can't share a comm port for 2 applications at the same time as I use comm 4 for my USB-1 cable from my BCT15 to the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.