Problems, problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
OK I was scanning with one of my SDS 200 scanners. Actually, I was scanning Vanderburgh P25 and SAFE T P25 systems. Went into menu and manage favorites and I decided to delete a system (conventional) that I wasn't even scanning. When the scanner went back to the scan screen hmmmm,...NOTHING TO SCAN. The programming appeared to still be loaded you could turn on and off the quick keys. Nothing to SCAN. ALL service types enabled, GPS was active even though I was home. Had to reprogram the SD card to get the scanner to scan again.

I just tried to reproduce this by deleting systems in the scanner but now it works as it is supposed to. Thank God for backups on computer. BTW, when I went to read the SD card with Sentinel it said the programming on every system had changed. Needless to say I told it to ignore those changes, cleared user data and rewrote the card. Works fine again. I have had issues with Sentinel changing stuff but not the scanner itself.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
My SD just died the other day. Tried to reformat with both Windows and the recommended third party formatter - no dice. The curious thing was the actual profile in Sentinel was borked as well - which probably started the kill chain. New SD using another profile brought it back to life. SDs do seem like a weak link.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
And it did it yet again. Deleted a conventional system that was not loaded. It loaded into the scanner and wiped everything out. I tried to reload but nada. Gotta go redo my sd card. And it isn't an sd card problem. The card is fine.
2d17fb1e848da80c1e3e67fa0d372958.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Same scanner, scanning the same system after I redid the SD card after a deletion of a conventional system on the scanner corrupted the data.
394789f4b16a2417a67723af91f8e1ac.jpg

eaf1956

Feed Provider
And now I can reproduce this error at will. Hopefully there will be a fix in the works.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
And now I can reproduce this error at will. Hopefully there will be a fix in the works.

Tried same scenario with a different SD card and got same results. At least now I know not to do that if I am not around a computer to redo my card. Or have the spare handy...

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber

Is it always the same system when it goes nuts or any conventional system?
I can't remember which scanner but I've had this happen in the past. It would have probably been a system on a 536.
In my case, I just removed the system from Sentinel and then wrote all back to the radio with the "erase favorites lists" box checked.
The radio worked fine after that. Never had a similar problem again.
I did re-create or import the bad system again as well. My thought was something in that particular systems favorite list was corrupted at some point.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Program several systems doesn't matter p25 conventional do 4 or 5. Set scanner to scan maybe 2 p25 systems. Hit Menu then Manage Favorites pick a system that is not currently being scanned.

Hit Review/Edit accidentally it loads that system

Hit menu (squelch) to to back, scroll to delete

The original systems you were listening to try to reload but most times there is corrupted data on one or both systems. It's not the sd card I did the same thing with different cards and both ended up with corrupted data.

I accidentally found this out by trying to duplicate what happened. BTW make sure you don't read the card back into Sentinel or it will corrupt those files too.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Program several systems doesn't matter p25 conventional do 4 or 5. Set scanner to scan maybe 2 p25 systems. Hit Menu then Manage Favorites pick a system that is not currently being scanned.

Hit Review/Edit accidentally it loads that system

Hit menu (squelch) to to back, scroll to delete

The original systems you were listening to try to reload but most times there is corrupted data on one or both systems. It's not the sd card I did the same thing with different cards and both ended up with corrupted data.

I accidentally found this out by trying to duplicate what happened. BTW make sure you don't read the card back into Sentinel or it will corrupt those files too.

Wild guess.

Are you properly “unmounting” your SDS200 when you switch from “Mass Storage mode” to Serial Mode?

If the spark quenching circuit of you radio is not functioning correctly and you do not “unmount the scanner properly” it can result in corrupted data being written to your SD Card.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Wild guess.

Are you properly “unmounting” your SDS200 when you switch from “Mass Storage mode” to Serial Mode?

If the spark quenching circuit of you radio is not functioning correctly and you do not “unmount the scanner properly” it can result in corrupted data being written to your SD Card.
Since this is all being done on the scanner and not via computer, I don't even see why the question was asked. The card was installed in the scanner and all was done on the scanner via menu items. So there is no Mass Storage Mode or "unmounting" involved.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This seems to be a "wild" situation and sometimes wild situations call for wild solutions. That said, is it possible there is something mis-programmed or otherwise strange with a system that is a "sleeping giant" that gets woken-up by what you did?

I'd be tempted to do some experimenting, such as re-writing to the SD card, only changing the profile so the offending system doesn't get downloaded to the scanner. Then go through the motions that causes the problem.

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
This problem presented itself to me, as well. My particular SDS200 woes involve persistent deafness with a particular simulcast system (IDPS) when scanning (with GPS set at zero range) in two different locales - Madison and Marion Counties. While trying to configure something that would overcome the failed receive (deleting conventional system not scanned), I encountered the issue you have detailed above. In addition, I did also eventually get a corrupted SD card (OEM) which I was never able to recover for use in the SDS200 but it does work in a PC. Thankfully, I keep some PRO Endurance microSDHC cards on hand.

-cognetic

eaf1956

Feed Provider
EAF can you make your SDS100 do the same thing?
I didn't try it but I will. This has happened to me in Sentinel but not scanner programming. Just gotta be careful if you have no computer handy.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
When it corrupts the data only the FL keys remain.

I believe I've seen the same behavior in Sentinel previously, but this sounds like your issue is scanner related if I'm reading this correctly? You deleted an unused conventional system and the scanner started showing "Nothing to Scan". Was this conventional system under the same Favorite List as the trunking systems? If so, you had all systems under their own Quick Key? Just trying to go through the simple stuff first.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I believe I've seen the same behavior in Sentinel previously, but this sounds like your issue is scanner related if I'm reading this correctly? You deleted an unused conventional system and the scanner started showing "Nothing to Scan". Was this conventional system under the same Favorite List as the trunking systems? If so, you had all systems under their own Quick Key? Just trying to go through the simple stuff first.
This is what I was wondering. If you go into menu>set scan selection>select lists to monitor, what is set to "on"?

If your lists are on, while you are scanning what do you see on the F0,S0 and D0 lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.