Problems, problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
This is what I was wondering. If you go into menu>set scan selection>select lists to monitor, what is set to "on"?

If your lists are on, while you are scanning what do you see on the F0,S0 and D0 lines?
The photo above showed the scanner as it is when it is working. Ok my FL are more like System lists each system has an FL assigned. Just a lazy and quick way to shut systems off.

0 is Safe T
3 is Vanderburg

And those are mostly what are active

Department keys can be Dept or tower on Safe T .

Like 0.0.8 are a bunch of towers that even at zero still try to scan but I can't hear so I turn them off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
The photo above showed the scanner as it is when it is working. Ok my FL are more like System lists each system has an FL assigned. Just a lazy and quick way to shut systems off.

0 is Safe T
3 is Vanderburg

Like 0.0.8 are a bunch of towers that even at zero still try to scan but I can't hear so I turn them off.

all photos are blocked by IT here :/

You still didn't answer both of my questions, I am sure you have things right, but I have to start at the bottom to troubleshoot and see if there is a problem that needs to be reported.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

0 is Safe T
3 is Vanderburg

What I'm wondering....:unsure:...is when you deleted the system, the quick key was a duplicate of other systems and it deleted all systems under that Favorite List?

Favorite List is Indiana, and System 0 was both Safe-T and the conventional system so when you deleted it, deleted all Systems under Quick Key 0? I would assign a Quick Key to each system, or assign a new Favorite List to the unused conventional system.

I have similar programming in one of my "Miscellaneous Monitoring" Favorite Lists. I have a mish mash of P25, NXDN, DMR etc and assign a Quick Key to each system. I just deleted my conventional system for testing purpose (it was assigned Quick Key 5) and all other Systems are scanning but System 5 is absent. I just pressed 35.5 (Favorite List 35/System 5) and received the error beeps since nothing is there. I then pressed 35.4 and OFF appeared. I don't assign a Quick Key to the Site as only one Site is scanning, however their are 3 departments in the Conventional System. 35.5.2 (Favorite List 35/System 5/Department 2) would then show OFF or ON.

That is my work around, but I'm sure their are others. Hope you understand my programming..

eaf1956

Feed Provider
all photos are blocked by IT here :/

You still didn't answer both of my questions, I am sure you have things right, but I have to start at the bottom to troubleshoot and see if there is a problem that needs to be reported.
Wait till I am off work. I can't do much thinking on 10 minute breaks.

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
What I'm wondering....:unsure:...is when you deleted the system, the quick key was a duplicate of other systems and it deleted all systems under that Favorite List?

This is my thought as well, the QK was assigned to other systems and the delete killed them all.

His first or upper picture did not show any value on the S0 line like you saw. The second picture did show values in the S0 line but at least one digit seemed to be dimmed compared to the other values shown. Usually not enabled QKs show as an Asterisk instead of a dimmed character. I can't say I've ever seen any QKs on any of the Fx, Sx or Dx quick key display lines before that were dimmed out. They either show a fully lit number, or a hyphen or an asterisk but not dimmed like his pics show.

I'm not sure what is up with that unless it was just an artifact from the camera he snapped the picture with. Like maybe the shutter was opened right when the scanner was refreshing the screen info maybe.

I think something with QKs at one level or the other may be the cause of this problem.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
This is what I was wondering. If you go into menu>set scan selection>select lists to monitor, what is set to "on"?

If your lists are on, while you are scanning what do you see on the F0,S0 and D0 lines?

Select lists to Monitor

IN Safe T
Vanderburgh P25

F0:0--3-------
S0:0
D0:0123*5--*9

But that is normally what I monitor Dept 4 is DNR which I shut off and Dept 8 is off as it is about 4 or 5 towers I can't receive but try to scan with range at Zero

eaf1956

Feed Provider
EAF can you make your SDS100 do the same thing?

I tried my hardest to get the SDS 100 to mess up but it worked like a champ. On the other hand, I tried on my other SDS 200 and good Lord it messed up really bad. Somehow even without reading the scanner's corrupt card it corrupted my Sentinel files. They looked ok but in the scanner the dreaded NOTHING to SCAN.

Thank the Lord I have more than one computer. I was able to restore my programming from another computer.

The SDS 100 seems to be immune to this problem. Has to be some difference in firmware.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Select lists to Monitor

IN Safe T
Vanderburgh P25

F0:0--3-------
S0:0
D0:0123*5--*9

But that is normally what I monitor Dept 4 is DNR which I shut off and Dept 8 is off as it is about 4 or 5 towers I can't receive but try to scan with range at Zero
I forgot to mention that is displayed when it is scanning Safe T

When scanning Vanderburg

F0: 0--3-------
S0:0-----------
D0:012345-78*

With 3 in F0 flashing
0 in S0 flashing
And the D0 depends on what is scanning

eaf1956

Feed Provider
The SDS 100 is bulletproof. One SDS200 has an issue but the other one really has an issue. When the 2nd 200 messed up it started scanning a Kentucky system that wasn't even loaded. And the 2 that were supposed to be loaded were gone. Now I can see why there are so many Nothing to Scan posts related to the SDS200.

Odd how a GPS scanner scans a system way out of range unless I need to change the Baud rate. Which is possible because 1 is 4800 Baud and the other is 9600 Baud.

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
I tried my hardest to get the SDS 100 to mess up but it worked like a champ. On the other hand, I tried on my other SDS 200 and good Lord it messed up really bad. Somehow even without reading the scanner's corrupt card it corrupted my Sentinel files. They looked ok but in the scanner the dreaded NOTHING to SCAN.

Thank the Lord I have more than one computer. I was able to restore my programming from another computer.

The SDS 100 seems to be immune to this problem. Has to be some difference in firmware.

You sure have one heck of an odd problem here!
It does sound like it may be a possible firmware issue being as you can create the problem outside of Sentinel. But an issue that seems to only affect the SDS200.

Just as a test, have you tried cloning a good working SD card from your 100 to a new SD card or one you can lose and then stick that in the 200 and see what happens. I'm not sure you will be able to figure anything out from such a test other than your own satisfaction but it may be neat to see how that card behaves when loaded in your SDS200.

I've had issues with my SDS100 recently. I had one department in a favorite list that would not produce any talk.
I checked service types as well as made sure that departments QK was indeed enabled. All was good. The same programming worked just fine in a 436 and two 536s so why not in the SDS100. I was stumped.
I went into Sentinel and looked at that systems department QKs and it reported all were on as did when checked in the radio.
I tried unselecting the department and then saving it in Sentinel and then using the Erase Favorites from Scanner option in Sentinel, I wrote the files back to the radio. I'll be darn if a fresh read from the SDS100 into Sentinel did not show that this department was back enabled again even though I had disabled it before writing to the 100.
I also removed that favorite list from Sentinel and let the file in the radio recreate it. No matter what, this one department would not scan even though everything showed that it was enabled.
I finally decided to look at that favorites list file on the SD card with a text editor. The FL files on the SD card are stored in Human Readable ASCII format so they are very easy to read by eye.
This particular department was showing as NOT enabled when looking at the file with the text editor! I again used both the radio and Sentinel and toggled that department off and on but it had zero effect on the actual file on the SD card. And yes, I made sure and checked the box to erase my favorites when writing with Sentinel plus Sentinel warned me that my favorites would be erased.

Once I made the edit in my text editor and set the No value to Yes for the bad department, the department started working just fine plus I can now toggle the department on or off and my choice is honored plus reflected correctly in the actual favorite list file on the SD card. Sentinel also reports correctly if the department QK is on or off as well.
I have no idea why this worked but it did.
The only think I forgot to do what look at the FL ASCII file with hidden ASCII codes viewable. I had non printing or odd ascii codes hidden as a FL file should not have any anyway. It's possible that FL file did have some corrupt data and contained some hidden ascii codes.
Somewhere, I still have a copy of the file that would not work so I can still look for hidden ascii data when I have time.

One other thing I did while trying to get this department working was to copy a good working favorite list from a 536 and replace the bad file on the SDS100s SD card. That also failed and the list would show the department as enabled or on in the radio and in Sentinel when the 100 was read. Sentinel would also tell me that FL had been changed so it could see something was indeed different. I'd always tell Sentinel to read the file from the radio and overwrite it in Sentinel so Sentinel had the working file from the 536 I'd copied over to the SDS100s SD card. When I did many of these file copies from the 536 to the SDS100 card, I'd usually do manual copies without Sentinel and sometimes used a card reader.

I don't get it but I've seen it happen and I could reproduce the problem.
Is it something in the SDS100 or something in Sentinel. Like your case with your SDS200, my problem happened without even using Sentinel so my thinking is something is amiss with the FW in the SDS100 in my case.
Since I made the manual edit with the text editor, that problem department and its favorite list have been working just fine. If I unselect the department on the radio, Sentinel will now report that the department is indeed not selected as it should when I read the radio into Sentinel! Before all this, Sentinel would always report this one department as On or Enabled regardless of its Off status in the file when checked with a text editor.

I have over 90 favorite lists and am worried there may be problems in some of the others but not really knowing what to look for with a text editor, I'm kind of guessing when I try and find a similar problem in other FLs.
The best thing I can probably do is set all departments and site QKs to On in all FLs and then make sure Sentinel reports the same. Then set them all to Off and again look at each in Sentinel and make sure it again reports their true status.
Talk about a time consuming PITA!

Anyway, I do think you may be on to something here after thinking about my problem with my SDS100. Not exactly the same problem as yours but definitely something odd only on the SDS100 in my case.

Sorry for the length post but I did not know how to accurately explain what I say and what I tried as well as what I did to correct the problem.

I also now only use a copy of Sentinel on another computer with the SDS100. The 4 and 536 models use a copy of Sentinel setup just for them. No more changing the Target Type for me. I do wonder if something gets messed up when the Target Type is changed from an x36HP to one of the SDS models. That's how I did things before I found and fixed my problem, I used one copy of Sentinel for all radio types. I always have been accurate about making sure I had the Target Type set correctly before doing a read or write so that should be covered as not the cause.

Good Luck on this one!

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
The SDS 100 is bulletproof. One SDS200 has an issue but the other one really has an issue. When the 2nd 200 messed up it started scanning a Kentucky system that wasn't even loaded. And the 2 that were supposed to be loaded were gone. Now I can see why there are so many Nothing to Scan posts related to the SDS200.

Odd how a GPS scanner scans a system way out of range unless I need to change the Baud rate. Which is possible because 1 is 4800 Baud and the other is 9600 Baud.

Hey, have you tried duplicating your issue with no GPS unit hooked up at all?
For my problem, all my FLs have Use Location Control set to No or Off. I've never used any of my radios with GPS before.
Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem but may be something else to look into.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
You sure have one heck of an odd problem here!
It does sound like it may be a possible firmware issue being as you can create the problem outside of Sentinel. But an issue that seems to only affect the SDS200.

Just as a test, have you tried cloning a good working SD card from your 100 to a new SD card or one you can lose and then stick that in the 200 and see what happens. I'm not sure you will be able to figure anything out from such a test other than your own satisfaction but it may be neat to see how that card behaves when loaded in your SDS200.

I've had issues with my SDS100 recently. I had one department in a favorite list that would not produce any talk.
I checked service types as well as made sure that departments QK was indeed enabled. All was good. The same programming worked just fine in a 436 and two 536s so why not in the SDS100. I was stumped.
I went into Sentinel and looked at that systems department QKs and it reported all were on as did when checked in the radio.
I tried unselecting the department and then saving it in Sentinel and then using the Erase Favorites from Scanner option in Sentinel, I wrote the files back to the radio. I'll be darn if a fresh read from the SDS100 into Sentinel did not show that this department was back enabled again even though I had disabled it before writing to the 100.
I also removed that favorite list from Sentinel and let the file in the radio recreate it. No matter what, this one department would not scan even though everything showed that it was enabled.
I finally decided to look at that favorites list file on the SD card with a text editor. The FL files on the SD card are stored in Human Readable ASCII format so they are very easy to read by eye.
This particular department was showing as NOT enabled when looking at the file with the text editor! I again used both the radio and Sentinel and toggled that department off and on but it had zero effect on the actual file on the SD card. And yes, I made sure and checked the box to erase my favorites when writing with Sentinel plus Sentinel warned me that my favorites would be erased.

Once I made the edit in my text editor and set the No value to Yes for the bad department, the department started working just fine plus I can now toggle the department on or off and my choice is honored plus reflected correctly in the actual favorite list file on the SD card. Sentinel also reports correctly if the department QK is on or off as well.
I have no idea why this worked but it did.
The only think I forgot to do what look at the FL ASCII file with hidden ASCII codes viewable. I had non printing or odd ascii codes hidden as a FL file should not have any anyway. It's possible that FL file did have some corrupt data and contained some hidden ascii codes.
Somewhere, I still have a copy of the file that would not work so I can still look for hidden ascii data when I have time.

One other thing I did while trying to get this department working was to copy a good working favorite list from a 536 and replace the bad file on the SDS100s SD card. That also failed and the list would show the department as enabled or on in the radio and in Sentinel when the 100 was read. Sentinel would also tell me that FL had been changed so it could see something was indeed different. I'd always tell Sentinel to read the file from the radio and overwrite it in Sentinel so Sentinel had the working file from the 536 I'd copied over to the SDS100s SD card. When I did many of these file copies from the 536 to the SDS100 card, I'd usually do manual copies without Sentinel and sometimes used a card reader.

I don't get it but I've seen it happen and I could reproduce the problem.
Is it something in the SDS100 or something in Sentinel. Like your case with your SDS200, my problem happened without even using Sentinel so my thinking is something is amiss with the FW in the SDS100 in my case.
Since I made the manual edit with the text editor, that problem department and its favorite list have been working just fine. If I unselect the department on the radio, Sentinel will now report that the department is indeed not selected as it should when I read the radio into Sentinel! Before all this, Sentinel would always report this one department as On or Enabled regardless of its Off status in the file when checked with a text editor.

I have over 90 favorite lists and am worried there may be problems in some of the others but not really knowing what to look for with a text editor, I'm kind of guessing when I try and find a similar problem in other FLs.
The best thing I can probably do is set all departments and site QKs to On in all FLs and then make sure Sentinel reports the same. Then set them all to Off and again look at each in Sentinel and make sure it again reports their true status.
Talk about a time consuming PITA!

Anyway, I do think you may be on to something here after thinking about my problem with my SDS100. Not exactly the same problem as yours but definitely something odd only on the SDS100 in my case.

Sorry for the length post but I did not know how to accurately explain what I say and what I tried as well as what I did to correct the problem.

I also now only use a copy of Sentinel on another computer with the SDS100. The 4 and 536 models use a copy of Sentinel setup just for them. No more changing the Target Type for me. I do wonder if something gets messed up when the Target Type is changed from an x36HP to one of the SDS models. That's how I did things before I found and fixed my problem, I used one copy of Sentinel for all radio types. I always have been accurate about making sure I had the Target Type set correctly before doing a read or write so that should be covered as not the cause.

Good Luck on this one!
I have tried 3 SD cards all 3 got corrupted data. Somehow is attempting to rewrite the cards my Sentinel files got corrupted too. Oh sure they looked fine. Data was there everything was cool...write to SD Card place in scanner...Nothing to Scan. But, I got everything back and working I just know now not to do any change to programming on the scanner. Again the SDS 100 worked just fine I had zero issues. But 2 different SDS200 scanners both messed up. One actually worse than the other IMHO.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This problem presented itself to me, as well. My particular SDS200 woes involve persistent deafness with a particular simulcast system (IDPS) when scanning (with GPS set at zero range) in two different locales - Madison and Marion Counties. While trying to configure something that would overcome the failed receive (deleting conventional system not scanned), I encountered the issue you have detailed above. In addition, I did also eventually get a corrupted SD card (OEM) which I was never able to recover for use in the SDS200 but it does work in a PC. Thankfully, I keep some PRO Endurance microSDHC cards on hand.

-cognetic
Same. My OEM mSD card is trashed - readable by a PC but not the scanner. I replaced the mSD card and went back to my standard profile, and the radio finds Favorite Lists.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Same. My OEM mSD card is trashed - readable by a PC but not the scanner. I replaced the mSD card and went back to my standard profile, and the radio finds Favorite Lists.
The SD cards are fine. They work both in a card reader and in the scanners.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The SD cards are fine. They work both in a card reader and in the scanners.

I think we clearly established that your problem is different than mine in an earlier posting. However my problem is very similar to Cognetic's, which is why I replied to him.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I'm going to pass this along to our management team to see if they have any thoughts on it. Hopefully we can get you going pretty soon.
Awesome seems to only be the SDS 200. The SDS 100 following the same steps worked fine. But my two SDS 200s corrupted the sd card.

Status
Not open for further replies.