Problems with Pro-96 & Austin PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cplbeowulf

I have a Pro-96 and have programmed in the nine Austin PD sector channels (adam, baker, charlie, etc.), but I am getting crappy reception. I've updated to the latest 1.4 firmware. The voices are usually very garbled or clipped regardless of what sector is transmitting. Occasionally I'll get a clear transmission, but it only seems to be about 1 in 10 that come in clearly.

So I'm not sure if there is a problem with my programming, a general reception problem (I have the 800mhz rubber antenna RS 20-283), or if there is a defect with my pro-96. I seem to get the same garbled reception regardless of where I am in Austin.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to understanding digital trunking, so I could have easily botched the programming part... there are a million options (using Win96) and I haven't a clue what they all do.

If anyone has a good working Win96 config file they wouldn't mind sharing that has the Austin police channels I'd be very appreciative. I'd like to eliminate my possibly erroneous programming as the cause of my problems.

Thanks!
Cpl Beowulf

bpckty1

The Pro-96's digital audio leaves a lot to be desired. It creates a metallic voice. Sometimes it sounds as if the speaker is really a cat being strangled.

;^>

(Memory combined a couple of updates, so I am editing portions of my previous post.)
As for the other problems, since I don't live in Austin, I cannot help much more, other than to be sure you have all the latest updates. After Austin and a couple of other cities went on-line with digital, the systems had a "tweak" to their digital for something named CQPSK that needed to be updated in the scanner. It could be done on-line. There was another update that required the radio to be sent back to Ft. Worth for the fix since it involved doing something to, or replacing, the CPU. But, from what I understand, newer scanners should have that fix. That might be your problem.

Here is a portion of a PDF document about CQPSK from Radio Shack:
CQPSK LSM Modulation DSP APP Firmware Version U1.2 Info

"Compatible Quadrature Phase Shift Keying used in certain newer digital simulcast trunked radio systems.
These newer systems operate with the 9600 bps P25 control channel and utilize Linear Simulcast Modulation
(LSM). The original version of Pro-96 DSP firmware was not designed to decode LSM CQPSK modulation.

<snip>
http://support.radioshack.com

Click on Software Downloads, locate Catalog #200-0526 and select the "Pro96U12.EXE" link."

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If he has already installed DSP firmware version 1.4 then he can revert back to the original 1.2 by pressing 0-CLR-ENTER during the welcome message.

cplbeowulf

I had the same problems with the 1.2 firmware and still have the problem after upgrading to the 1.4 firmware. I upgraded the firmware today hoping that it would fix the problem. My scanner currently has the following:

CPU: F1.3
DSP-App: U1.4
DSP-Voc: F1.0

I'm starting to think this unit may be defective. Analog channels come in clear, but the digital ones are simply unintelligible.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
cplbeowulf said:
I had the same problems with the 1.2 firmware and still have the problem after upgrading to the 1.4 firmware. I upgraded the firmware today hoping that it would fix the problem. My scanner currently has the following:

CPU: F1.3
DSP-App: U1.4
DSP-Voc: F1.0

I'm starting to think this unit may be defective. Analog channels come in clear, but the digital ones are simply unintelligible.
Try toggling the Digital AGC on or off.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I have the exact same revs and the exact same problem. It seems the only place I can get good, consistent copy is at work (3rd floor). Everywhere else I seem to get garbled, digital, motorboat, etc. more than 60% of the time. It is particularly bad at the apartment (1st floor). I think it's a combination of a less than optimal signal and terrible recovery by the scanner. Austin is CQPSK. I get DPS (CPSK) loud and clear even with a weaker signal.

Russell

BaLa

If it makes any difference, I was in Austin last week.
I was not able to hear the system very good with either my Pro96 or 396t.
This was using the RS 800mhz antenna.

And I was in the area of the state capitol.

mojicaman

I have the same problem with my 96. However, most of the time I am able to understand whats going on with any situation.

For example: A box alarm
I will hear the initial dispatch for the different units
I will hear the units letting dispatch know they are responding
I will hear the dispatcher tell which channel the fire will be working on
and so on and so forth.

But yes some of the transmissions will sound distorted and garbled. I have come to the conclusion that this is how it is listening to digital in Austin and at least I am still able to follow an event or call regardless if its perfect.

cplbeowulf

Okay, well, I guess my Pro-96 isn't "defective", meaning it probably won't do any good to send it off for service. It just does a crappy job of decoding Austin's digital transmissions, for whatever reason -- just like everyone else's Pro-96s. :p

Turning off AGC seemed to help *slightly*, but not much.

VintageJon

Where you are and what your antenna is make a huge difference with the Travis Co. System, as I see it with my Pro-96.

At the house, on the edge of Walnut Creek between Burnet and Lamar, it's excellent with 800MHz ducky or 1/4 wave ground plane on 2nd floor.

Driving around it gets worse with the duck as I go to work in Hyde Park. The lowlands of
Hyde Park and Terrytown suck for reception. The highlands of Gracy Farms are good with almost any antennae, and even no entennae on my Pro96...

Email me and I can send latest WinPro96 file for Ida, Baker, Williamsom and surronding Co's, EMS, AFD, DPS and Weather Net, that I have loaded...
Can be reached at muse8@sbcglobal.net as I don't know if my email is "on"...

JOn

mikepro96fan

I have the same problems with my Pro96! I don't even like listening to Austin/Travis County as much due to the break up in transmissions, etc..Do they hear that on their radios also??
My Pro96 displays CPU F1.4
DSP U1.3
APP F1.0
Now that I am closer to Willco I mostly listen to that system and aircraft.

VintageJon

Interestingly enough, without getting too graphic, I often hear Willco and Travis Co dispatch tell units they are unreadable while sitting in the bathroom on the second floor in the mornings while I read the units perfectly 5 X 5!! (All with a 800MHz ducky on a Pro 96...) I appear to be in an "rf hot spot", lucky me.)

A lot depends on what you are trying to catch. Starflight is encrypted, Narc Command and some agents are encrypted, some SR is encrypted, some IRS-Fed is encrypted. All encrypted will sound like a bad cross-breed of a video-game and a low-budget-Sci-Fi-movie. Unilntelligable, and thats what encryption is all about!

Drop out is bad reception but garbled sci-fi is encrypted. Of course you may have both problems... Hope this helps.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.