• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Professional Drivers Loosing CB's in Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeddleMan

Not much has changed in the shipping industry. Drivers are still needed to man the Big Company trucks to move cheap freight safely and quickly. These drivers are the modern trainers of the industry. Long hours are worked and many are still gone far from home weeks to months at a time. Time from families and the paces they work for are missed and looked forward to at the end of a few long, yet little rewards for the runs made. These long, difficult and sometimes nerve-racking trips are eased by little simplicities like entertaining one's self.

Some of us out here have found ways to help that. Some buy Sirius Satellite Radio to bring in the news of the day that the otherwise conventional broadcast stations would do. Seems that the AM/FM receivers are replaced, even with a CD player built in, by Sirius or plug in MP3 players.

Personally, even though those mentioned has replaced the CB Radio, as I often observe the faster drivers have replaced them (can't talk to those guys, even if you need to) I still find a good tool to have in the Big Car is that Citizen Band. Call it what you will, But it is still needed on the interstate and in the yards. It is a key, functional tool used to communicate amongst workers in they truck industry. We communicate with each other, the Guard Shacks at Shippers and Receivers, sometimes the Bears when we need them, the traffic offices at the warehouses and ports, not to mention some of the CPW's, if there is no PA, the local CB shops and the mobile sales/repair guy, even the Chaplains in their Chapel at a Choke and Puke, and of course the common public. It isn't just a resource for the truck driver, but for everyone. Not all of us use more power than we need. Some of us understand the importance of the given rules. Some of us just don't compete with the "contesters" out there. We work for a living and that's just another tool.

What I am getting to is just that. The big companies out there are personally cracking down on their company guys and gals that run "illegal radios." Mod your rig in the cab, they find out in a Safety Lane, and have it yanked. As mentioned before, I don't need a high power radio to communicate.

Now the real situation. I am a Ham. Yes, there are a few groans out there, but hear me out, please. I am sure the companies are concerned about the seemingly clashing high power radios and ECU's and other important EOBR's and such. I understand. Even some of the circuitry cannot handle more than five or ten amps. I heard a story just the other day that, a driver pull a certain amount of amps on a particular circuit and, the TRUCK tattled on him! I could only presume he lost his job. We are watched very closely by our employers. The EOBR's are designed to report a lot, but power drainage might be a bit much. Not to mention how poorly some of the systems are designed.

I am not sure exactly why I had a truck reassigned to someone else a similar situation. As a ham, I bring along some equipment while on the job. I use a Dual Band radio to talk to other hams (a rarity) and listen out of band. I am not interested in police activity. What I listen for is GMRS/FRS users. Legal or not is not my concern. I listen to the warehouses so I know why it takes so long for them to complete my load. Sometime those kids are just horsing around on the radio, like some of their truck-driving counterparts. Sometimes I may run across a construction zone on a back road where there are Flaggets controlling traffic. A good tool to have again is the Dual Bander, and I keep a set of bubble packers to talk back, or even thank them for handling the traffic flow. Then finally, there are the other traveling neighbors that are out there. You and your families. Nice talking to you!

I got off on a tangent. I used to use an Alinco DX-70 for HF and to monitor SW. I think someone got cocky and stated that I was running an illegal radio. Sure, two extra antennas mounted on the mirror mounts look special. Ham Sticks, not Monkey Made. And the large haet sink on the back looks incriminating. That radio is no larger than the Cobra 29 LTD stacked on top. Anyway, no one mentioned other than a gear problem, and the time that it took to repair it was the real reason why they pulled me from a Volvo and assigned me to a Freightliner Cascadia. I have that problem figured out, too.

I have finally worked around the known SWR problems in the Cascadia, which finally brings us to my next problem. I fear that since, I have simply rerouted with a seperate piece of coax I purchased (After crushing the one that came with a locking plier antenna clamp) using a factory installed antenna to a custom rod replacement post/bolt on the driver's side mirror. Like a lot of other drivers, a high power antenna is used there, avoiding the rats nest the Hispanic installers built. Understandably, these items are removed by the company to reduce damage caused to ECU's or EOBR's on a company vehicle. My system is not high powered. I have had installed an Echo Board. To me that is a cool sound, and some enjoy it. The black K40 Mic is a nice add on, and the talk back ext. speaker helps me understand a little what is going thru the radio before it gets out. (not debatable) I get mostly good reports. I do well with SWR now. Seems to be important. Yet, all may be removed because it looks suspicious.

Where do I turn? I just wonder how I will entertain myself, or communicate with the world, outside of the cellphone, or via the internet.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard of a CB being checked in a DOT safety inspection... Last time I got inspected the officer was barely in the cab.. And if your company is having a fit, well, there are plenty of companies out there.. When I was with Roehl I was told I could install anything as long as "You don't drill a hole". Had 11 meters, and 2/440 voice with APRS..

Maybe a quick email query to the safety folks at your company would clarify what is allowed and what isn't..

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I feel bad for you guys in the US, here we have some Vhf channels that are mobile to mobile, of course you are supposed to be licensed, and use proper gear. But 30-50w on Vhf is a lot better than 4w on 27MHz. I am lucky, although I am not a long trucker, I do a lot of 'windshield time' and have put on more than 20000Km in the last 2 months. My company was nice enough to punch a NMO mount in the roof of my F350 that now has a dual band antenna attached to my FT-8800, I also have a seperate APRS station using a handheld and a NUVI. My job also requires me to drive on resource roads that are radio controlled, so I also have a TK-760gh. This is all with my companys blessing. I would never need or install a CB, too much CRAP, and no real benifit.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
If you are worry about the radio tattling about you for drawing to many amps, bring a gel cell or battery along, and use the cigar lighter plug as a charger. The battery will take the hi current when you transmit and charge when receiving. All in all companies, especially transportation companies are now trying to make you work during your work time, they consider texting, cellphones and even 2-way as distractions that could cause accidents. Some companies also consider CB as an evasion of the law, as you can use it to avoid speeding and other tickets when on the road. I don't entirely believe that, but you work for them, and that might be a question to ask BEFORE applying for a job.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If the company wants to save amps, they should do away with the 12v coolers.. Pretty sure it drew more than my IC-2720 and my CB transmitting at the exact same time..

KF4ZTO

If everybody ran a legal 4 watt 40 channel radio for 11 meters, there wouldn't be drivers running massive radios or smaller radios with massive amplifiers. Once you have one guy running a few hundred watts on channel 19, everybody else wants to as well. Even the run-of-the-mill 25 watt "export" (240 channel - 25.615-28.305 MHz) radio that a lot of truckers run give more range than a legal 4 watt radio. Those things look just like top-shelf CB radios with the only difference being a bandswitch to flip between the banks of 40 channels. Are the people at truckstops trained to tell the difference between a Galaxy DX-949 (a legal 40 channel 4 watt radio) and a Galaxy DX-33 (an illegal 240 channel radio with 25-35 watt output).

Interesting story. In my area, some "company channels" are outside the legal CB band, 25.905, 26.735, 26.755 and 27.635 are popular...and you need an illegal radio to get to those frequencies. In these cases, it sounds like the companies are encouraging drivers to buy illegal radios.

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Most "Company Channels" aren't set by the company..They could give a crap less, they only care that you can contact them via Qualcomm or Cellphone.. They're set by the drivers. So, no, I don't think companies are "encouraging drivers to buy illegal radios"

MeddleMan

I agree with all of you...

...and in our hand book, we aren't even allowed to install a CB without the help of one of our mechanics. I like the gell cell Idea, and have considered doing that, If I stay long enough. Thank you for all the useful responses.

w4wxp

It isn't just a resource for the truck driver, but for everyone. Not all of us use more power than we need. Some of us understand the importance of the given rules. Some of us just don't compete with the "contesters" out there. We work for a living and that's just another tool.

What I am getting to is just that. The big companies out there are personally cracking down on their company guys and gals that run "illegal radios." Mod your rig in the cab, they find out in a Safety Lane, and have it yanked. As mentioned before, I don't need a high power radio to communicate.

Alarmist bs.

There's no reason for companies to be cracking down on any type of radio in the cab, illegal or otherwise, and generally they could care less - about the only time this happens is when some companies are illegally using 2 meter radios as their own private 'cb'.

As for DOT 'yanking' at weigh stations, that's a load of crap too. DOT doesn't have any authority over radio equipment, and as a 'ham' you should know that ONLY the FCC and NTIA has that kind of power. If DOT took someone's radio, that's a HUGE lawsuit waiting to happen.

LtDoc

MeddleMan,
Do you have a question, or are you just telling us about your woes? Any way for you to simplify that post you started with? All I can get out of it is that you were told to remove your radios? And given another truck.
- 'Doc

MeddleMan

Self-expresion

Murs,murs,murs great way to talk for a few miles
I agree, I would like to do this. I have the ability to do it. I don't want to convince everyone (not implied by anyone) to do it, but it would be nice to find a lot of folks in the industry (drivers) who would like to use the VHF service to communicate locally. Imagine the folks you could meet. Then again, we could always carry our conversation to another of the fourty channels.
Sure, just convince all the warehouses and truckers across the country that use CB to switch...

It'd be real quiet there I'm sure.
Not the warehouses, just the drivers.

MeddleMan,
Do you have a question, or are you just telling us about your woes? Any way for you to simplify that post you started with? All I can get out of it is that you were told to remove your radios? And given another truck.
- 'Doc
Yep, expressing my woes. Place yourself in my shoes. Do you think you have a resolution? Would you try your best to hide the radios you'd like to use on the job? Would you try? Would you give up a favorite hobby for the job?

Yes, I chose this job. Sure I can do it without any of my hobbies.
Yes, this is not my truck. I have no business making mods to another's vehicle.
I think that I should have enough lee way to entertain myself while I'm out there movin' around everyone else's stuff. I am allowed a TV, apparently, and a Fridge, a heat blanket, a fan. Why not a simple radio? Why not a few? Why not have the extra mode of communication to punch through in an emergency? Will a CB do that? As a Ham, can you meet that challenge? Would others-no, nay-sayers, appreciate the comm back home in a winter blast, cells are down (Yawn, I know) Quallcomm quits (Same system), Payphones out, power down, no TV? Might be a help out there one day. I believe it. As I mentioned, I need to communicate. Would you disagree? Can you?

Maybe I should go to the expense of buying a truck, so I can install what ever I want. I shouldn't have to. The company is starting to give me what I want, so long as I can prove that I can take care of the issued equipment. This is the second new truck, in two years. I spend five weeks out, they give me five consecutive days, even if I spend more than my scheduled time out. No complaints.

Do you have any woes you'd like to express? Answer that one, please.

I'll tell you what. If I can't express myself here, I'll leave, and none of you will ever hear from me again. Self-expression here has already been frowned upon here many times on many posts.

Last edited:

Randalman

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I am too new here to know any better but I thought forums in general were to share ideas, problems and to vent once in a while.

LtDoc

Put myself in your position? No thanks, I've got enough aggravations of my own. What would I do in your situation? I'd talk it over with the company and see what could be arranged. May not be exactly what I'd like, but I'll bet there could be a compromise made. If nothing else, wait till you stop and set up temporary some way. I have some options you may not have, I'm not limited to CB. If you want to pursue your hobby that bad, check into buying your own truck. (Not sure I'm that 'dedicated' though.)
Any woes? I got a few, I seriously doubt if anyone would be all that interested. I'll handle them anyway.
As far as expressing yourself, did anyone say you couldn't? I sure didn't, just wanted to know what that post was about.
- 'Doc

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Not really, just the usual national calling freqs. And those are usually clogged with locals ragchewing..

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
If you haven't already done so,

I'd talk it over with the company as Doc suggested. (BTW, I don't see where any one isn't listening to what you're posting. Some just want more info/insight to your posts.)
Sure MURs and FRS are good to go, but as you mentioned, not many drivers would change from the tried and true. As stated, try talking with the bosses.That may help you out.

A side note to the mention of "...martial law..."; if it came down to something of that nature, YOU would not be laughing. No body would be laughing. This could be the making of an interesting thread if you'd care to start it!

Status
Not open for further replies.