• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Program failed (#0x3842)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Ok , I need some help. Didn't turn the G5 on for 2 days. Fired it up tonight-----was not detecting any signals from my local towers. Scanners are all working fine on same system. So i thought maybe I would reload the profile and was greeted with the error code in my title. I had high hopes for this pager/radio- tell me it's not serious, please. thanks for any ideas or help. Mike

And the second time it works, now nothing is loaded in it. Even though the profile acts like its saved, there is nothing to monitor

Last edited:

Haley

I give up, tried getting any of my profiles to take , no luck. I did a battery pull, no luck. It acts like its programming, and my profiles are good, they just don't make it to the radio/pager for some reason. Mike

Haley

I'm starting to think that also. I haven't had it a month yet. Unless somebody has an idea , I guess I should be contacting Unication. Mike

Haley

I sent Ray an email , I guess just wait to see what he says. Mike

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Try to shoot the latest version of firmware into it and make sure your using the corresponding version of PPS to match the firmware.

Haley

Thanks for the reply. I contacted Ray, he sent me an email right back. He told me to try the same thing , re flash the firmware. So when I get home from work i will try that, and let you guys know. Mike

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks for the reply. I contacted Ray, he sent me an email right back. He told me to try the same thing , re flash the firmware. So when I get home from work i will try that, and let you guys know. Mike

I thought maybe try that also but even if that works, I'd still be concerned about how/why it happened to start with - and get it addressed while under warranty.

Haley

Well so far no luck. Maybe I am doing something wrong. But I uninstalled the PPS and re installed it no luck. And I thought I re flashed the firmware. Are their any special steps to the firmware install that I may have missed? It says V0.9-0.14-R11P . And like Troymail mentioned, I am more concerned as to WHY it happened. Any other ideas? Mike

troymail

Silent Key
So, the reflashing of the firmware indicated success and pushing a configuration from the PPS indicated success but it's still not working?

If so - me? In for repair or replacement.

There is only so much you can do as a user.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Other then the programming your sending to the unit is bad its a defective unit.
Send the codeplug to someone else who wants to experiment with that unit.. Or have someone send their codeplug to you and program a different one.

Haley

Ok have a little more to add. Reloaded a different profile , alpha tags and programming "acts" like it takes. They transferred from the software to the radio. All my freq. and tower sites are correct-----still no tower signal on the 800mhz. band. Here is where it gets a bit odd, I put the local NOAA site in the radio, trunked system and NOAA are same tower here, I can see it from my window. I am receiving full strength the NOAA signal. So now I am really lost, any settings you guys can think of in the PPS software for trunking that I ,may have missed? Again, all sites, towers , control channels are correct. All I ever did was shut the radio off for about 48 hours, and all the sudden no tower signal, apparently only on my trunked system. Mike

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Other then remembering the site ID and RFSS are HEX and not DEC. if you put in the incorrect info there, it would not pick up properly.
If you want to send us a link to the system your trying to monitor we can try to help make sure that info is correct.

troymail

Silent Key
Things I've encountered:

- incorrect WACN, SYSID, RFSS, siteId info and/or missing control channel frequency - eventually get "out of range"

- I entered decimal values where HEX values were expected

- duplicate talkgroup names (I know, weird, right?) - the radio seem to just scan and scan but never find a CC or report out of range; I wouldn't be surprised if other strange things like this would cause the same symptoms...

BTW - on one (new, not yet fully operational) system I recently looked at, the available information about the RFSS/siteIds was wrong on RRDB which caused out of range; I believe I later was told that the RFSS/SiteId info had been changed recently

Haley

Here is a HARD lesson learned. The database on RR for my system , does not reflect the changes made to FCC database 4 days ago (when my scanner went "deaf"). For whatever reason the control channels changed on my home system. I deleted the two I had in PPS, used my 396xt to park on a channel, to get the control freq. , plugged it in, and I have signal and voice now. I want to thank Troymail, and Iamsixnine, for ALL the help (and offers) I am back in business--- I think. This would explain why the sudden deafness only on 800mhz.

Side question do you guys put all known freq. in your systems? I only had the control channels-----but if it makes a difference I will put them all in. Thanks again, Mike

troymail

Silent Key
Here is a HARD lesson learned. The database on RR for my system , does not reflect the changes made to FCC database 4 days ago (when my scanner went "deaf"). For whatever reason the control channels changed on my home system. I deleted the two I had in PPS, used my 396xt to park on a channel, to get the control freq. , plugged it in, and I have signal and voice now. I want to thank Troymail, and Iamsixnine, for ALL the help (and offers) I am back in business--- I think. This would explain why the sudden deafness only on 800mhz.

Side question do you guys put all known freq. in your systems? I only had the control channels-----but if it makes a difference I will put them all in. Thanks again, Mike

Great the hear you're back in business...

The data on RRDB should always considered to be "suspect". Unless you know the CC frequencies are stable and don't change, best bet is to just enter them all. As I mentioned earlier (I think), I recently found the RFSS and site data for a system had change from what was originally listed on RRDB - but that's something most people really don't care about (or would you expect it to change).

Still - I'd be a little concerned about the original error.. From what I recall, you radio was turned off for 2 days and you got that error the next time you turned it on. Strange that there was a CC frequency change right around the same time.... Did you ever get an sense from Unication what that error message meant?

Haley

I learned my lesson, to double check against the FCC database. The strange thing is I have been listening to this system for 15 years, and I don't recall them ever changing. Even going from EDACS Provoice system to the new P25 system. As for the initial error code , I am pretty certain it was the "perfect storm" , I think I have may have disconnected before the prompt, just a little to quick. It never happened again, actually worked on the second try where I showed a little more patience. I will keep an eye on it for sure. I actually used the G5 in Florida last week on a week long trip----it performed flawlessly down there. VHF, and 700/800. The whole scenario, as strange as it was, in retrospect actually makes sense.

1. Got back from Florida on 5-20-17
2. used G5 on 5-21-17 (worked fine) on local system
3. FCC database update 5-22-17
4. turned my radio on 5-23-17, no signal at all
5. the alpha tag issue was my fault----I have 2 identical profiles, one with and one without, so I am an idiot on that part. They are now designated better.
6. entered "new" control channel, signal is back and TG's are active

So some operator error, and a couple of things that just lined up at the same time.

BUT, I am still keeping an eye on it. Mike

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Man that does sound like the perfect storm.
Glad to see its working now and you were able to get the right info into the unit. Wonder why the frequency change.

Status
Not open for further replies.