program my BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaKidd

I just want to program my BCD536HP Uniden scanner for the Des Moines, Iowa and surrounding areas . Don't know how to do that, and was wondering if you had such a file to put on my scanner. I am a member of radio reference, and have the arc536PRO program. I have entered the zip code into it, and a 20 mile range, and can not do much more than avoid a channel if it locks up on static. Have read the memory that is put on it, but know what to do with that as it has aa of U.S. or united states on that. Have looked and read for days, and seem to be getting lost with it all. My head hurts....... lol Then there are favorites, also. I live close to the corner of Hickman and MLK, next to 26th Street. Still do not know how to set this thing up, other than zip code. Any one willing to help me out?

marksmith

Get Sentinel program up and running on a pc.

Then go to YouTube and start watching the video training on Sentinel.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

movinon

Premium Subscriber
This...

Get Sentinel program up and running on a pc.

Then go to YouTube and start watching the video training on Sentinel.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

This is the best advice.
I have had my 536 about 6 months. My head hurt for a while.
After going back over those videos many times i am finally getting a good start to getting my head around the sentinel program.
Make your local area a favorites list. Actually pretty easy after you understand how it works.

Don't give up it is a great scanner.
I am thankful for all the help i got here on this forum!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A real Jedi makes his own lightsaber.

There is a learning curve, but you'll be far better off learning how to do your own programming rather than blindly letting someone else spoon-feed a program to you.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just want to program my BCD536HP Uniden scanner for the Des Moines, Iowa and surrounding areas . Don't know how to do that, and was wondering if you had such a file to put on my scanner. I am a member of radio reference, and have the arc536PRO program. I have entered the zip code into it, and a 20 mile range, and can not do much more than avoid a channel if it locks up on static. Have read the memory that is put on it, but know what to do with that as it has aa of U.S. or united states on that. Have looked and read for days, and seem to be getting lost with it all. My head hurts....... lol Then there are favorites, also. I live close to the corner of Hickman and MLK, next to 26th Street. Still do not know how to set this thing up, other than zip code. Any one willing to help me out?
You can create a Favorites list in Sentinel.

Set your location via zip code, and set your range. Then, make sure that you have all the desired service types enabled. By default, the scanner will only have dispatch types enabled (Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, etc). But a lot of frequencies, as well as talkgroups, used by public safety related agencies are tagged not as 'Dispatch', but as 'Talk' or 'Tac' (Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc.). Be sure the ones you want are active.

Then, with your location, range, and service types established, go into Sentinel.

In Sentinel, click on the Edit menu at the top of the screen
From the drop-down menu that appears, click on "Add Channels in Range".

You'll get a pop-up window that shows your location (your zip code is converted to latitude/longitude), and you can change it if desired. You'll also see which service types are currently enabled. Correct as needed, then click OK to generate the list (it will ask whether add to an existing Favorites list, or create a new one; use the name of your choice).

Now, in Sentinel, select Edit->Edit favorites List, choosing the list from the list. Or, click on the list you want to edit, then click on the 'Edit Favorites List' icon, which is the 'star' with a pencil laying on it, under the "w" for the 'View' drop-down menu.

In the Edit mode, you can review your newly created Favorite, and make any modifications you desire, such as editing text tags, or deleting unwanted entries (or simply setting them to 'Avoid' (locked out)).

If you have your thread moved to your state forum (click on the red outlined triangle in the upper right corner of your initial post to do that), you might be able to find someone in your state that can provide you a file. However, it's to your advantage to try this yourself. Sooner or later, something in your areas of interest will change, and you will need to make a change in your list, adding, modifying, or deleting as needed. It's to your advantage to be able to accomplish yourself. It's much quicker, plus you can tailor it to your own preferences, not that of someone else.

DaKidd

At Last

Thank you so much for the info, at last I can do something to my new scanner. Had it for awhile, and just looked at it and scratched my head. Did the initial set up, but that was it. Been reading the manual, watching You tube videos, but was like trying to understand and speak a different language. (feel really stupid) Thank you for the help, I do really appreciate it. Got to get ready to drive them kids home on the school bus as I am a school bus driver. Will try the favorite setup later today, you really seemed to explain it to me very well.

kimbertown

You can create a Favorites list in Sentinel.

Set your location via zip code, and set your range. Then, make sure . . .

Steve, thank you for taking the time in providing information on creating favorites based on location and range. The explanation is very clear and easy to follow. Some of us have not yet built the technical knowledge to easily decipher some of the explanations offered at times. We are thirsty to learn and information like yours helps us to grow our understanding and knowledge.

THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.