Program Question for GRE PSR800

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE7FSD

Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired a GRE PSR800 scanner. I would like to update the database and I have a couple of questions (yep, I am new at this). First, I have downloaded the software from GRE America. I think it takes a "premium user" Radio Reference membership to download the updated frequencies. Am I on the right track so far? If I have the premium membership do I find the area I live in (or want to visit and scan) and just download it with software? Will the list be complete? So I think the other comment should be - I live in Maricopa County and would like the local PD (Scottsdale), Fire, Air and maybe some Wildland Fire response as a priority. Then I would go to the some of the other more fun frequencies.

So am I on the right track? obtaining the premium membership and using the software to download the updated and current talk groups will update the scanner?

Thanks

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
You are on the right track with the Premium membership. When you create a code plug for the radio, you have choices. Your first choice should be to have the factory upgrade done for improved performance and DMR capabilities. The simplest way to listen in your area is to use the Zip Code choice. That will give you an idea of what has traffic and what you do or don't want. The Preferred gives you the best selection choices but requires a lot more time to create if you listen to many services. Get at least two good SD cards, one for the radio and one for a backup. A third one for experimental systems is also a time saver. Using a USB SD card adapter will also be faster than formatting and loading the card in the radio.

RDGDigital

You don't need a premium membership for the PSR800. Having a premium membership is a nice way to support RR and all the volunteers who update the database, but it is not required to download updates from the database. In fact, there is nowhere in the EZScan software to put any login credentials.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Alan... I sold my WS-1088 to my wife's BFF who lives in Scottsdale and programmed it for her. I can send you an archive file of the programming if you like as a starting point. It currently has Scottsdale PD, Scottsdale Fire/EMS, the old MCSO Motorola Type II system, the new MCSO P25 system although sorely lacking in TGs as it was just coming online when I programmed it), AZ DPS, and (because she's a huge Cubs fan and went to the spring training games), Sloan Park in Mesa.

Lemme know if interested.

I recently acquired a GRE PSR800 scanner... I live in Maricopa County and would like the local PD (Scottsdale), Fire, Air and maybe some Wildland Fire response as a priority. Then I would go to the some of the other more fun frequencies.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
I am surprised that no one has told the IP that Whistler purchased the rights to GRE before they went out of business. The Whistler version of EZ-Scan will support the PSR 800, but do not try to update CPU or DSP firmware or you may "brick" the radio. EZ-Scan downloads the entire RadioReference database (usually updated every Monday). You do not need to do this frequently, as most weekly changes are minimal unless they are updating a system you are monitoring. No premium membership is needed, since you are not directly downloading anything from RRDB.

All programming is done on your computer in EZ-Scan and you can select state, location, agency or system to load. When you are happy then you write the entire thing to the SD card (in or out of the radio)

Checkout the easy operating/programming guide at Mark's Scanners (new.marksscanners.com)

Most important:
There was mention about the DMR or Legacy Upgrade. Whistler will update the hardware in the radio to make it the equivalent to a WS-1088 which can then have future firmware updates installed through their EZ-Scan and adds DMR if there are any systems in your area using it. Contact Whistler (or go to website https://whistlergroup.com/products/upgrade ) for more info. You should seriously consider doing this.

Enjoy you your new toy.
73's

DJ11DLN

The Legacy Upgrade will improve your PSR-800's performance across the board and add DMR decode to its capabilities. And you won't have to jigger with getting the database into the old-version E-Z Scan, you'll use the WS-1080/1088 version. For $60 plus shipping it's an excellent value.

Status
Not open for further replies.