Pro-96: Programming a Scanner for a Friend

JethrowJohnson

Hi all,
I met someone about a month or so ago at the flea market who listens to scanners and he said that when he moved, he was in a spot too far away from most or all of the towers to receive any signal, but this weekend he said he got a new antenna (I'm not sure what kind) and found just the right spot where it will receive his local analog conventional frequencies as well as the Ohio MARCS-IP system. But there's just one problem, he's not familiar with these types of scanners very much because he's used to the older kinds and he wants me to program it for him. He said that it was a RadioShack Pro-196, but when I looked it up I couldn't find that specific model so apparently there's no such thing. But I did find the RadioShack Pro-96, so I'm hoping this is what he meant, because I'm not familiar with the RadioShack scanners, and I have until next weekend on Saturday to research it so that I can get it programmed by the weekend after that. I don't know, I might end up needing more time. He said he's been using the Wildcard feature and he picks up the MARCS signal really well. (I'm guessing Wildcard is the same thing as ID Search?) Because he said it's receiving every MARCS channel on the Washington County towers, so it sounds like the same thing my BCD436HP does in ID Search and Discovery modes. The only scanners I know really well because I have them are the Uniden Bearcat BC75XLT and the Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP. I've seen some videos of the older Whistler scanners before which seem to be really similar with the RadioShack models. I've already downloaded the user manual for the Pro-96 and tomorrow I'm gonna look for some YouTube videos about it. I already told him that the signal might be garbly because our county is simulcast but he said it comes in loud and clear, so I don't think that will be a problem. I believe in the saying that if something is worth doing at all, then you should do it right. Especially when you're doing it for someone else. I don't want to half-do it and just tell him "oh well". So, if someone could tell me a little about how these radios work and how to program them, I would really really appreciate it. Thank you! 🙂

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
If I was you I’d confirm the model number first. Using the term “wildcard” make me believe it’s one of the object oriented scanners, so maybe a Pro-106.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The PRO-96 is a handheld. The PRO-2096 is the base/mobile version of the same scanner. There is also a PRO-197 which is a base/mobile. Wildcard is the same as ID Search. The PRO-96 and PRO-2096 are unable to trunk track 700 MHz frequencies. The scanners were manufactured before that band became available. The Washington County site uses 700 MHz frequencies. The PRO-106 is able to trunk track 700 MHz frequencies. Unfortunately, the Washington County site is simulcast which may cause a problem. The PRO-197 is the base/mobile version of the PRO-106. Washington County Sheriff is encrypted on the MARCS system,

JethrowJohnson

Okay. Thank you all for your answers, it looks like I'm just gonna need some more time, because I don't have any way to contact him and he was wanting it done from Saturday next weekend until the weekend after that. I don't think that's gonna be enough. Since the Pro-96 can't receive the 700 band, then I don't think that's what it is because he said he was hearing MARCS including Athens County which is mostly all on MARCS too. I guess all I can really do at this point is hope it's the Pro-106 and learn as much as I can about that one. Thank you though. 🙂👍