Programming a Uniden BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stbehr24

Premium Subscriber
have a uniden bcd996p2 need help programming it to pick up police on a phase 2 system.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
1 Do you understand trunking systems and programming by hand?
2 If the answer above is no the a Premium Subscription and software would be your best option.
3 What is the State City and System you are wanting to monitor.

lu81fitter

if the police use encryption you will not hear them anyways so you might want to check that first.

Let's not get the cart in front of the horse. It's his first post. Let's see where he is and what he is looking to monitor.

stbehr24. Let's see where you are and what you're looking to hear. I think we can get you going in the right direction.
ka3aaa has a valid point, but hopefully that is not your case.

stbehr24

Premium Subscriber
1 Do you understand trunking systems and programming by hand?
2 If the answer above is no the a Premium Subscription and software would be your best option.
3 What is the State City and System you are wanting to monitor.

Yes. But just not with this scanner. Maryland Salisbury and System?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
have a uniden bcd996p2 need help programming it to pick up police on a phase 2 system.
What Police Dept? State, County, town/city. The COUNTY is important as that’s how RR lists the data... we can then look at the system you want to monitor and check for things like if encryption is used or not among other things.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
All P25 PHASE II are Trunking Systems and this is a 6 site SIMULCAST SYSTEM.
What this means in PLAIN ENGLISH the 996p2 will be lucky to work 100%.
The better choice is a SDS200.
I’d check with the RR Regional forums (unless Buddrousa is from your county and has first hand knowledge of what works and what doesn’t). If, after checking with the regional group, it’s as Buddrousa says, then his advice is spot on... unless money is an issue. There are workarounds for simulcast issues in some cases... the agency running a simulcast system may have kept their previous system (as a backup). Is that a possibility in your case? (An example of this is Hartford, Ct. The fire dept. kept their old VHF High Band dispatch frequency and broadcasts all their comms, when the entire city went to an EDACS system many years ago. However, the police did not. But EDACS doesn’t have simulcast problems and the EDACS system isn’t encrypted. Other agencies do the same thing... it’s worth checking. The link to the RR page listed in another post, in answer to your question, also mentions other things to try if you aren’t running the Uniden SDS100 or 200 radios but are bothered by simulcast issues. It’s worth the read.

u2brent

OAMPT
The County
The System
The Simulcast tower locations
The Instructions

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The Radioreference.com site list this as a 6 site simulcast system. As I stated the 996p2 may not work 100%. I looked up the system not a guess.
Yea, I get it. Im NOT trying to undermine what you said. In fact I credit you for your research. I’m saying it’s nice to have first hand info about the system in question. And if you never had occasion to monitor the system personally, it would be nice to get input from someone who did. As for RR being researched, I’m sure your takeaway is good. RR is rarely wrong but it wouldn’t be the first time RR had outdated or bad data either.

Status
Not open for further replies.