BCD325P2/BCD996P2: programming BCD996P2 ; saint petersburg fl.

ladynewtoSDR

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a new scanner and need some assistance with programming it, please.
I live in Pinellas County, FL (St. Petersburg).
I read somewhere that I could download frequencies (etc.) from radioreference.com and use the
'sentinel' software to program it.
Any help or guidance would be appreciated, thank you.
I just bought a premiere membership for a year.

engine183

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on the scanner. You will love it!
Search online - Many great videos on using Sentinel for programming. Here are two of many more.

Here is the RR page for Pinellas County, Florida. You need to determine what it is you wish to listen to before starting the programming. It looks like the Statewide Law Enforcement Radio System (P25) is heavy with encryption. You will not be able to listen to that radio traffic

'sentinel' software
Sentinel is not used to program the 996P2

You can use Freescan or ProScan.

Proscan.org

Last edited:

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
@ladynewtoSDR Be aware that most public safety agencies in Pinellas County utilize the Pinellas County P25 trunked radio system, which is a simulcast system. The 996P2 may not receive this system reliably. Only the SDS100/SDS200 scanners are specifically designed to receive digital simulcast signals. If you wish to monitor local public safety, you may want to consider returning the 996P2 (if possible) and upgrading to an SDS model.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I just picked up a new scanner and need some assistance with programming it, please.
I read somewhere that I could download frequencies (etc.) from radioreference.com and use the
'sentinel' software to program it.
Any help or guidance would be appreciated, thank you.
I just bought a premiere membership for a year.
The 996P2 does not use Sentinel, you'll need to buy ProScan or ARC 996XT. Perhaps your HAM friend would help you with your setup and programming.

Last edited:

ladynewtoSDR

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel is not used to program the 996P2

You can use Freescan or ProScan.

Proscan.org

thank you.

ladynewtoSDR

Premium Subscriber
@ladynewtoSDR Be aware that most public safety agencies in Pinellas County utilize the Pinellas County P25 trunked radio system, which is a simulcast system. The 996P2 may not receive this system reliably. Only the SDS100/SDS200 scanners are specifically designed to receive digital simulcast signals. If you wish to monitor local public safety, you may want to consider returning the 996P2 (if possible) and upgrading to an SDS model.
I also have an SDS 100 which I need help programming as well. I just thought it would be easier to program the 996P2, and thus I was going to start with that.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I also have an SDS 100 which I need help programming as well. I just thought it would be easier to program the 996P2, and thus I was going to start with that.
ProScan can handle the SDS100 as well as the 996P2. You can create a file for either scanner, then use ProScan to use parts (or all) of that file for any other radio that ProScan supports.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is a FreeSCAN BCD996P2 file for your scanner. First, you will need to download and install FreeSCAN. The first file is the FreeSCAN .996 programming file for Pinellas County. The second file is the driver you will need to install for any of the software programs to communicate with the scanner. The third PDF file will answer all of your questions about using quick keys. You will be able to toggle each of the 5 sites in Pinellas County on and off by pressing 1 thru 5 on the scanner keypad. After installing the driver, save the first attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Connect your scanner to your computer with the cable. Go to the File tab in FreeSCAN and click on Open. Open the extracted programming file (Pinellas Co FL.996). Go to the Scanner tab and click on Upload Programming. Select All in Systems to Upload box. Select Erase All Systems & Settings (In red). Click on Start Upload. Once upload is completed, unplug scanner and press SCAN on keypad. Quick keys as follows:

Pinellas Co FL
STSTEM QUICK KEYS:
1. PineCo Site 002
2. PineCo Site 004
3. PineCo Site 005
4. PineCo Site 010
5. PineCo Site 012
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. PineCo Services
2. StPete Services
3. PineCo Interop
4. PineCo Emerg Ops
5. PineCo Fire/EMS
5. StPete Fire/EMS
6. PineCo EMS/Hosp
7. PineCo Sheriff
8. PineCo Police
9. StPete Police

Attachments

• Pinellas Co FL FS.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 4
  • uniden_usbser.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 3

ladynewtoSDR

Premium Subscriber
Here is a FreeSCAN BCD996P2 file for your scanner. First, you will need to download and install FreeSCAN. The first file is the FreeSCAN .996 programming file for Pinellas County. The second file is the driver you will need to install for any of the software programs to communicate with the scanner. The third PDF file will answer all of your questions about using quick keys. You will be able to toggle each of the 5 sites in Pinellas County on and off by pressing 1 thru 5 on the scanner keypad. After installing the driver, save the first attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Connect your scanner to your computer with the cable. Go to the File tab in FreeSCAN and click on Open. Open the extracted programming file (Pinellas Co FL.996). Go to the Scanner tab and click on Upload Programming. Select All in Systems to Upload box. Select Erase All Systems & Settings (In red). Click on Start Upload. Once upload is completed, unplug scanner and press SCAN on keypad. Quick keys as follows:

Pinellas Co FL
STSTEM QUICK KEYS:
1. PineCo Site 002
2. PineCo Site 004
3. PineCo Site 005
4. PineCo Site 010
5. PineCo Site 012
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. PineCo Services
2. StPete Services
3. PineCo Interop
4. PineCo Emerg Ops
5. PineCo Fire/EMS
5. StPete Fire/EMS
6. PineCo EMS/Hosp
7. PineCo Sheriff
8. PineCo Police
9. StPete Police
thank you!!!

DJBio

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
If there is DMR or XNDN or provoice in ur area you will want to use Proscan

tvengr

Well Known Member
If there is DMR, NXDN, or ProVoice in your area you will want to use ProScan.
The Pinellas County system is P25. FreeSCAN will work just fine for loading that. Other software can be used at a later time if DMR or NXDN is needed. With the BCD996P2, files can be loaded separately using different programs. ARC XT software can also be used for P25, DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice. ProScan is also excellent software. Both ARC XT and ProScan have a free trial period to decide which one you like better. I use Butel ARC XT Basic to program my BCD325P2 and BCD996P2. The Pro version adds virtual control and logging. I used ARC XT Basic to create the Pinellas County file and then converted it to a FreeSCAN file. I will be happy to share my ARC XT file with you if you decide to go that route.