BC796D: BC796D help with programming.

JPDx353

Premium Subscriber
Looking for assistance with the programming of an older BC796 scanner that I obtained. As a user of Whistler/GRE scanners ( I use 8 ) and also a SDS200 scanner, I am at ease with programming and use of these models .However this earlier model has me stumped. I have a download cable and the uniden software,but cannot seem to understand/utilize programming to this unit. I am aware that the unit will not receive 700 mhz but would love to use it for a series of VHF Hi Band MOSWIN towers and also 825-850 trunking system with the same MOSWIN system of my area,although much has moved to the 700 band. (I live in Joplin, Missouri).

Manual programming has not been effective and the unit is not being used because of my lack of skill in doing it. Is there anyone here that might be able to build me a file for Jasper/Newton county in SW Missouri? Looking for any Police/Fire/Ambulance to my area except for Joplin Police which is encrypted. Any help is appreciated as this unit looks and appears to work fine except with my skill level. (Yes the unit has the digital card installed). Or provide some detailed steps to programming of where my failure is?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Dennis (JPDx353).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looking for assistance with the programming of an older BC796 scanner that I obtained. As a user of Whistler/GRE scanners ( I use 8 ) and also a SDS200 scanner, I am at ease with programming and use of these models .However this earlier model has me stumped. I have a download cable and the uniden software,but cannot seem to understand/utilize programming to this unit. I am aware that the unit will not receive 700 mhz but would love to use it for a series of VHF Hi Band MOSWIN towers and also 825-850 trunking system with the same MOSWIN system of my area,although much has moved to the 700 band. (I live in Joplin, Missouri).

Manual programming has not been effective and the unit is not being used because of my lack of skill in doing it. Is there anyone here that might be able to build me a file for Jasper/Newton county in SW Missouri? Looking for any Police/Fire/Ambulance to my area except for Joplin Police which is encrypted. Any help is appreciated as this unit looks and appears to work fine except with my skill level. (Yes the unit has the digital card installed). Or provide some detailed steps to programming of where my failure is?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Dennis (JPDx353).
You might be able to find someone in your vicinity, if you request that your thread be moved to the Missouri state forum. To do that, click om the Report link in the lower left corner of your post. That way, you can ask a moderator to move it for you. (Do not create an additional port in the state forum. Instead, just request that this one be moved.)

I don't own that scanner. However, I would not that ProScan does support that model. If you have not already done so, try ProScan for it's 30 day free trial, and see if you like it.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You will not be able to receive the Jasper or Newton County sites on MOSWIN except for Granby City. The sites are 700 MHz which the BC796D does not support. The scanner was manufactured before the 700 MHz band became available. You can also use Butel ARC250 software for programming the BC796D.