Programming by download from RR database

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7YUO

I would like to hear from someone that has downloaded the RR database into their scanner.
Do you end up with a lot of unwanted 'bloat'?
Things like Animal Control, Public Works, UDOT.
Does it download all of the system TGs for a county?
Or can you select what gets downloaded?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I would like to hear from someone that has downloaded the RR database into their scanner.
Do you end up with a lot of unwanted 'bloat'?
Things like Animal Control, Public Works, UDOT.
Does it download all of the system TGs for a county?
Or can you select what gets downloaded?

The RRDB is not downloaded directly to the scanner. Rather the RRDB is imported to software first then uploaded to the scanner.
What type of scanner and software are you using?
You most certainly can select which TGID's and frequencies to keep or discard.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Sentinel and I are not friends. (Just full disclosure). That being said, I do download the RR database into my radios (them that allow it), and then pick and chose what I want to listen to, when. I often have different moods, different days. And depending on what is happening locally, my focus will be different. I do a lot of searching. So a set list, is often a nogo. If you are starting out, the download is a good way to learn. Adjust your focus as you learn.

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
With the scanner I have, (BCD436HP and all HP models) there are two options...

#1 simply you can load the entire database then you enter your zip code and choose which service types to monitor. This way in my opinion does load up a lot of unwanted freqs, systems & departments that I don't care to listen to (AKA bloat). This method is handy if you are new and want a quick way toi get up and running or if you are contstantly traveling and your listening needs change...

#2 my preferred method, is to browse through the database using Sentinal software and pick and choose specific systems, departments & talkgroups and create favorites and then you have to choose which faviorites lists to load during startup. Once you have your favorites set up you can assign quick key #'s to each favorites list and then easily switch between favorites to suit you location or listening needs.

With most of the other scanners out there you pretty much have to enter the information manually or like in #2 you need to use a third party software and a subscription to RR to program your radio. The price of the software and subscription to RR is well worth the price!!!

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah. My above statement, is my opinion, and not the official statement for any group or official organization. :oops:

ScubaJungle

IMO the only way to use the scanner is with FL. You can even make FLs on the scanner without Sentinel.
To me, no ID Search - missing too much, and you cant use ID search on full database.
I find making a FL for every single thing you can imagine is the best route. You can turn on/off any of them

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
IMO the only way to use the scanner is with FL. You can even make FLs on the scanner without Sentinel.
To me, no ID Search - missing too much, and you cant use ID search on full database.
I find making a FL for every single thing you can imagine is the best route. You can turn on/off any of them
I agree, in Philadelphia, PA our Simulcast handles both Police & Fire but within that there are 21 seperate Police districts/talkgroups & various tac and other talkgroups plus the Fire, Medic has both North & South divisions.

I still prefer to use the software to program & tweak but the favorites lists are the way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.