BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Programming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
My motherboard on my desktop does not have any serial ports at all, only USB 2 and USB 3 ports. So I read up that the scanner has a mini USB port on the front and a DB9 connecter that connects to the desktop? I'm at a loss here.
So would something like this help me?
TRENDnet | Products | TU-S9 | USB to Serial Converter

The front port on the BCD996XT is not mini USB. It's an RS232 serial data port.

It's not proprietary, but it's not very common. Programming can be accomplished from the rear or the front port, but firmware updates must be done with the front port.

Here is the programming cable that Uniden makes:

Uniden USB Cable

robman50

I'm looking for a place that sells in Canada or in Canadian dollars. I'm not having much luck. That link for ScannerMaster will ship it out to me for $54 ($25 USPS International), can't I get the cable for a cheaper price?

ccs247

Premium Subscriber
My motherboard on my desktop does not have any serial ports at all, only USB 2 and USB 3 ports. So I read up that the scanner has a mini USB port on the front and a DB9 connecter that connects to the desktop? I'm at a loss here.
So would something like this help me?
TRENDnet | Products | TU-S9 | USB to Serial Converter

You can use the cable that was included with your scanner combined with a USB to serial converter. See attached photo.

Attachments

• USB to Scanner.jpg
    USB to Scanner.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,272

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
They did not have that cable as mentioned in my above posts so I had to find another one.
This one is an Sabrent CB-FTDI USB to Serial converter and it is with Amazon.ca, which I have an account for already.
Tell me what you think. Will it do the job?
http://www.amazon.ca/Usb2-0-9pin-Rs...8&qid=1415671679&sr=8-3&keywords=ftdi+usb+db9

Sabrent USA

That looks like it should work, provided that it does indeed use the genuine FTDI chipset. There are a lot of counterfeit chipsets on the market that the drivers won't work with. .

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So no matter how you look at it, I am stuck with getting that $50 cable from Uniden? There is no cheaper alternative?

Had you intended to use that cable with the Uniden cable that came with the scanner?

robman50

Okay, so let's see if I got it. If I get that cable from post #6 then I can use it like:
front of scanner<--> included cable <--> cable from post #6 <--> usb port?
Then I can program and update the unit?

ccs247

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so let's see if I got it. If I get that cable from post #6 then I can use it like:

Yes. I have used a similar configuration with USB to RS232 converters utilizing the CH340/341 and PL2303 HXD chipsets. I have not tried the FTDI version.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Correct, as long as you use the included Uniden cable for the front port, it has the proper connector for the front port on it... it is not a mini-USB connector.

robman50

Had you intended to use that cable with the Uniden cable that came with the scanner?

Well I don't even know what the cable looks like. I won't be able to get the scanner until Friday since it takes 3 days for shipping.

I just want something that will allow me to connect it to my PC so I can program and update the scanner when I get it.

Voyager

People on DSLReports.com -> Ham radio forums are trying to steer me way from the Prolific chipsets and are telling me I should go FTDI. What do you think?
If that is just a bunch of bull then I will just go to my local computer store and pick up this;
USB to RS232 Serial Adapter Cable | Serial Cards & Adapters | StarTech.com Canada
Which uses the Prolific - PL2303-HXD chipset.

I think it USED to be a safe bet, but now both Prolific and FTDI have issues with counterfeit chips, so it's a risk either way.

The one you posted should work (counterfeit issues aside). If it's local and something happens, you can deal with the dealer.

Voyager

So no matter how you look at it, I am stuck with getting that $50 cable from Uniden? There is no cheaper alternative?

Have you read the posts above yours? I picked up my USB-RS232 adapters several years ago for a few bucks each.

Status
Not open for further replies.