Programming Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebu

Years ago i bought a handheld that was programmed to ABQ Police on the encrypted channels. The radio is a Jaguar 700p (transmit was disabled, obviously) . Lately I tried to listen to it and nothing is picking up. I'm not sure if channels changed or if something stopped working on the radio. Is there a place to get this looked at, or is anyone locally able to look at it?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Years ago i bought a handheld that was programmed to ABQ Police on the encrypted channels. The radio is a Jaguar 700p (transmit was disabled, obviously) . Lately I tried to listen to it and nothing is picking up. I'm not sure if channels changed or if something stopped working on the radio. Is there a place to get this looked at, or is anyone locally able to look at it?

I'm not sure I would have posted this in a public forum...but that's just me.

joebu

Kevin, i'm a rookie at this, but based off your response i'm assuming the setup is something i shouldn't have? I know that there are apps/websites that broadcast out those channels so I didn't thing anything was wrong with it. I definitely am not trying to get in any hot water.

a417

U+0000
You can't think about why it would be an issue to tell people you brought an illicit radio, programmed to listen to encrypted police channels?
you said:
transmit was disabled, obviously
can't plead ignorance on that one. You knew it was a BadThing transmit on a police channel, so you made sure it obviously couldn't transmit. You have been member here for more than a minute, so you know why encryption is being implemented...

c'mon, dude.

Last edited:

joebu

Thank you for the response. I feel a bit dumb but I didn't know. I bought the radio and it was already programmed. I liked the idea of being able to listen to a specific channel. Again, I had listened previously to the scanner phone apps so I thought it was fine. I don't know how to program the thing otherwise I wouldn't have been asking for help. I realize I messed up and trying to get the post removed. Thank you for the guidance. I screwed up.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I had listened previously to the scanner phone apps so I thought it was fine.

@joebu There are NO scanner phone apps that are able to or willing to stream encrypted channels, they'd be committing a federal offense. Reception, even without the ability to transmit any encrypted comms without permission of the system owner/admin is against the law.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
If the channels were truly encrypted then you may be breaking a federal law. If they are just digital you should be fine. Some people interpret digital to mean encrypted.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if perhaps you are confusing the EDACS ProVoice channels as being "encrypted", from a time prior to Uniden offering ProVoice decoding as an upgrade option on the scanners.

You'd have to find someone local who has the capability of programming the radio PROPERLY for you. It may also be a good time to invest in a scanner like the SDS 100/200 that supports simulcast sites and has the ProVoice upgrade - you would be able to program it yourself and keep it up to date.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
If you did take it to a Harris dealer/shop they'll probably ask where you got the radio and some won't ask and look at the radio for you all depends on the place you take it to. Like what Kevin said in the post above mine if it's just digital you'll be fine if its encrypted "won't be able to hear anything being said" you won't hear anything.

When someone/forum member starts a topic about radios being put on or is on a radio system some forum members get wondering how you got the radio and is it stolen or etc and it leads the thread/topic to be closed if the admin/moderator thinks it does or not.

joebu

@joebu There are NO scanner phone apps that are able to or willing to stream encrypted channels, they'd be committing a federal offense. Reception, even without the ability to transmit any encrypted comms without permission of the system owner/admin is against the law.
That might explain why the radio is not picking up anything. Maybe it was programmed to channels before they went encrypted. Is that radio itself not supposed to be in civilian hands even if it had no programming?

joebu

I'm wondering if perhaps you are confusing the EDACS ProVoice channels as being "encrypted", from a time prior to Uniden offering ProVoice decoding as an upgrade option on the scanners.

You'd have to find someone local who has the capability of programming the radio PROPERLY for you. It may also be a good time to invest in a scanner like the SDS 100/200 that supports simulcast sites and has the ProVoice upgrade - you would be able to program it yourself and keep it up to date.

I think you are right. Looking at your link, the names of the "dispatch" channels look like what was on the radio. Are those dispatch channels things one would hear on the scanner apps?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I think you are right. Looking at your link, the names of the "dispatch" channels look like what was on the radio. Are those dispatch channels things one would hear on the scanner apps?

Likely yes - it looks like someone is streaming ABQ police on Broadcastify.

Any channels on the list I sent with the “Mode” column marked “DE” are encrypted. Anything other than those, you can listen to without issue. I suspect once you look at the channels on your radio and this list, you’ll likely find the encrypted ones are not in the radio.

Hoping to believe we just had a mix up in terminology here.

HavenBTS

Banned by a Super Duper Moderator
Banned
Thank you for the response. I feel a bit dumb but I didn't know. I bought the radio and it was already programmed. I liked the idea of being able to listen to a specific channel. Again, I had listened previously to the scanner phone apps so I thought it was fine. I don't know how to program the thing otherwise I wouldn't have been asking for help. I realize I messed up and trying to get the post removed. Thank you for the guidance. I screwed up.
Don't feel dumb you did not screw up.There are those who refuse to answer a question but give legal advice instead. The answer to your question was either yes or no, not why you posted it where you did or what radio you bought for what purpose. Believe me no law enforcement agency, be it federal state or local is going to come after you for anything. This is getting quite annoying. Now watch all the replies I get to this. I will be the bad one for saying what hundreds of other people here refuse to say but agree with. My God it's getting old.

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Don't feel dumb you did not screw up.There are those who refuse to answer a question but give legal advice instead. The answer to your question was either yes or no, not why you posted it where you did or what radio you bought for what purpose. Believe me no law enforcement agency, be it federal state or local is going to come after you for anything. This is getting quite annoying. Now watch all the replies I get to this. I will be the bad one for saying what hundreds of other people here refuse to say but agree with. My God it's getting old.
Please post or PM me the feature codes in your radio from the menu screen. I would bet money the OP bought an ancient EDACS radio that doesn't have option 39, in which case it's totally worthless. AFAIK the ABQ EDACS system is no longer in use.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator

Your 700p was monitoring the EDACS TGs that were Provoice, not encrypted. ABQ PD has transitioned to the new P25 system and is no longer using EDACS. I would recommend in invsting in a SDS-100 or a G4 to monitor the new system.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber

fredva

Feed Provider
Believe me no law enforcement agency, be it federal state or local is going to come after you for anything. This is getting quite annoying. Now watch all the replies I get to this.
Um, you might want to talk to some guys in Ohio who were in possession of radios programmed with encryption on the Ohio MARCS system. Law enforcement did in fact come after them with charges. Perhaps that legal advice others were giving in this thread has some value after all?

In this case, the OP may not have had a radio programmed with encryption after all. But warnings to others that it is illegal to monitor encrypted communications without authorization should not be taken lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.