Sentinel: Programming Help Needed...

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
So I have the following favorite lists in Sentinel.
Uploaded them all into my SDS-100.
All lists are scanned properly with the exception of those under the TxWarn listing (Last one below is Texas DPS).
Have I missed something to get the SDS100 to scan the TxWarn favorites, either from a programming stand point or setting stand point?
Screenshot 2024-09-10 041651.png

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Off hand, it looks like you only have the Departments for TxWarn, not the sites.

For your Atascotia system, you do have the site, but I see nothing that indicates you have anything but departments in the TxWarn areas. You have to have both departments as well as the related sites for it to work.

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I am now completely and utterly confused.
Could we please start from the beginning and explain how to add TxWARN departments to the SDS100 using Sentinel?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
With that being said, can the sites be added from Sentinel as well?
Not sure how to add them.
How did you get the Departments?

If you imported them from the Sentinel database, you should be able to import the sites as well with software, You're using ARC536, I believe. I don’t have that soft. I use ProScan. Hopefully someone who does use the ARC program can chime in with notes on how to do it.

You can append the departments in Sentinel, but that also brings over ALL the TxWarn sites. so you would have to decide to do one of the following:
Set the unwanted sites to Avoid
or
Use location control on that list
or
Delete the ones you do not need

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber

If you imported them from the Sentinel database, you should be able to import the sites as well with software, You're using ARC536, I believe. I don’t have that soft. I use ProScan. Hopefully someone who does use the ARC program can chime in with notes on how to do it.

You can append the departments in Sentinel, but that also brings over ALL the TxWarn sites. so you would have to decide to do one of the following:
or
or
The pict above looks like he might be using Sentinel...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The pict above looks like he is using Sentinel...
In another thread, the OP was asking programming using ARC536 for getting these departments. But the screenshot above is from Sentinel, so he may have appended in Sentinel, then weeded out all the sites other than those that cover the desired Departments.

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I no longer have those favorites list in Sentinel.
I deleted them all and wanted to start over and rename all my favorites list.
I will have to recreate them, then I will export them here for someone to take a peek.

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
In another thread, the OP was asking programming using ARC536 for getting these departments. But the screenshot above is from Sentinel, so he may have appended in Sentinel, then weeded out all the sites other than those that cover the desired Departments.
That would be correct.
I finally thought of the idea to do all my programming in Sentinel and then import them all into ARC536, so I can have a backup and also see how various trunking systems are programmed so I can get familiar with manually programming the SDS100,

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I just created a fav list using two of your depatments...
Everything from Ames on down are the Sites...

View attachment 168901

Oh! I see what I did wrong now.
When I was creating my lists, I deleted all the sites, thinking they were extraneous information.
So, when creating a favorites list with a trunking system, I should leave all the sites listed above on and not delete them?

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
It gets more complicated than just deleting sites. Some talk groups are only allowed on certain sites. For example, all HPD/HFD TG’s are allowed on RFSS 3 sites only.

You really need to do custom programming as opposed to just importing and not hearing what you want.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber

or
or
Which is pretty much what I told him in his thread here:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
No need to leave EVERY SITE, only the ones closest to you or close to an area you'd intend on visiting in the future
Sentinel's list of all the sites in a large regional or statewide system.are in alphabetical order. That makes it harder to determine the ones you do need. versus the ones you don't, as the site name very often is one that does not give a hint of it's actual, physical, location.

In the RadioReference database, sites are sorted and listed by the site's RFSS Site order. To make it easier to identify, sort the sites using the counties .

Here's drdd's post with screenshots added
Which is pretty much what I told him in his thread here:

When you go to the database initially, you'll see:
1725983971110.png
On the RR page for TxWARN, scroll down to the sites, and click on the "County" column; that will sort the sites alphabetically by county. Scroll down to Harris County to see all sites in the county.
1725983655157.png

Then if you click on the site name, it will take you to that site's page, which includes a Google Map with an (approximate) representation of that site's coverage area. If you're not within (and not planning to take the scanner out of) that site's circle, don't scan it.

As long as you leave the System's name, in Sentinel, exactly the same as what it shows in the database section, which is the name used for the appended data in the Favorites Editor, you can go back later, to append one or more additional Departments. These will append to your list as well, and will also bring the tidal wave of sites with them. You must leave the name exactly as appended initially.

The original name for the system is Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN), which is a mouthful.
1725978146046.png

As long as the remains unchanged, you can select & append additional Departments without dragging all of the sites.

If you change it simply to TxWarn,, like this,,,,,,,,,,

1725978257152.png
and, somewhat later, you want to add additional Departments, then change the system name back to the original,
Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN),, you can add departments, but not sites.

1725979569284.png

Appending a department, while retaining the shortened name, any Department selected will land in a new system with the original name, along with all the sites.
1725979825890.png
1725980113777.png

You cannot select and append only one or more individual sites, regardless of any named system already in the list. You would need to ensure that you do not, currently,have a system in the list with the 'full', original, name, then select one or more departments & select append to your desired Favorites list. The department will append along with a fresh crop of sites.

If you are using ProScan, or ARC536, you can drag & drop the site(s) that you need from the newly created system to your renamed, display friendly, name. That will ensure that you have location data on the added site, in case you want or need to use location control on that list. You could cut & paste the various components of the site to your target system, but you can only do that one piece at a time. You also would need to get the location data is present on the created site, if location control might be used. Then, you can delete the added list, retaining the one that has all of the sites & departments needed.