• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

programming ht1250 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
it says prolific usb-to-serial comm port (comm port 4). it shows 2 driver providers. 1 being prolific technologies and the other says microsoft corporation. prolific says version 3.8.3.0 and microsoft says 6.1.7600.16385

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
it says prolific usb-to-serial comm port (comm port 4). it shows 2 driver providers. 1 being prolific technologies and the other says microsoft corporation. prolific says version 3.8.3.0 and microsoft says 6.1.7600.16385
If I had this info on Sunday, I would have solved your problem then.

Your cable is probably a clone of a real Prolific chip. The newer drivers recognize this and won't let the chip work.

Go out on the net and find a Prolific driver that is no more that version 3.2.x.x. (The x's mean any 3.2 will work fine.) Install that driver on your PC and then use the Device Manager to force the cable to use the older driver. Since you're running Win 7, you should only have to do this in the Device Manager one time. Those of us using Win 10 are not so lucky as Win 10 wants to install the latest driver every time the cable is plugged into the PC.

This is a well documented problem with Win 10. It has nothing to do with radios or even the programming cable other than the fact that it has a cloned chip in it. There is plenty of info out on the net about this problem to be found with some easy searching.

It has also been discussed here recently. I gave the same answer then.

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
i found an older driver. when i installed the driver it ended up making the cable unreadable and cps would state no comms found.

WPXS472

I have had similar problems with Windows 7 and 8.1. First, you have to find a driver that when installed, shows in Device Manager that it is working. Then, in my case at least, I had to change the com port. That was as much of a sticking point as the driver issue itself. It seems the newer versions don't just grant you write permission in the registry. I had to look up articles on the web and jump through some hoops to change the com port number to one that would work with the software. I hate to say it, but it is easier to just get the correct cable, or one with an FTDI chip in it at least.

SCPD

QRT
If it's a ftdi chip or prolific try to locate online the actual ftdi chip and or prolific driver set. I don't have links but this solved my problem with third party usb cables. You should also use the verify tool to see if the chip in cable is legit

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
HT1250

My experience has been that a true serial port cable is the most reliable on older Motorola radios. It may require windows XP, Win 7 32 bit, or even DOS, but you do not have any driver issues when you use a true comm port.

kroorda

I can end your troubles. :)
1. Purchase a Tripplite USA-19HS Serial Adapter
2. Purchase a Serial Programming cable for a Motorola HT-1250
3. Start your computer with the Tripplite Serial Adapter plugged into it.
4. Start CPS Programming software.
5. Turn on your radio.
6. Either upload, or program your radio.
I tried everything in an effort to successfully program my HT-1250's, but nothing I tried worked. Then, a very experienced friend told me about the Tripplite Serial Adapters and also told me that he had 100% success with them. (So far, I have had 100% success as well). Likewise, don't substitute with another serial adapter. Use only a Tripplite adapter. You can find the Tripplite serial adapter and Motorola Serial programming cords on Amazon. I got a Kawamall serial programming cable (for HT-1250) and it works great. With this Tripplite serial adapter, you'll be able to program your HT-1250 from an version of Windows, and/or from a Mac. (I recommend Windows and a PC though because that is what CPS was designed for. Happy Programming. Happy Holidays.

kroorda

Serial Port

My experience has been that a true serial port cable is the most reliable on older Motorola radios. It may require windows XP, Win 7 32 bit, or even DOS, but you do not have any driver issues when you use a true comm port.

Respectfully...
You don't need a computer with a serial port. Besides, they are nearly non-existent anymore. What you need is a Tripplite SERIAL adapter that one can simply plug into a USB port. See the above reply. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.