Kenwood: Programming Kenwood TH-F6a w/ Chirp

KJ4SKP

Does anyone use Chirp for programming their HT's. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I have 3 different programming software "solutions" for my Kenwood TH-F6a. Only 1 of these software programs will even "see" my radio. I have Kenwood, RT and Chirp to try and program this radio and only Chirp will see the radio at all. The other 2 give me errors in communication with the radio. At least Chrip will allow me to download frequencies that I already have programmed in the radio so I know the software is seeing the radio.

Now that I have frequencies in Chirp, I've seen that I should save these frequencies as a template but the save/save as is grayed out. I hoped I could simply download my frequencies, add some new ones and upload those to the radio but I'm doing something wrong I guess. Any Chirp guys on here able to trouble shoot with me?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
CHIRP is for CHEAP CHINESSE RADIOS use this
[/URL]

KJ4SKP

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have that software and when using it my laptop won’t recognize the radio.

KJ4SKP

just received a new Kenwood cable today. Thought my old cable must’ve been the issue but still no connection to the radio from the laptop. I did figure out that Chirp is live programming so that is working but now it’s personal. Still can’t figure out what why the computer and radio aren’t communicating.

WirelessMike

I have used a homebrew cable with generic USB to TTL converter and it works with to read with CHIRP and the Kenwood MCP_F6F7.exe. My only issue is that I lost extended transmit frequency range.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone use Chirp for programming their HT's. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I have 3 different programming software "solutions" for my Kenwood TH-F6a. Only 1 of these software programs will even "see" my radio. I have Kenwood, RT and Chirp to try and program this radio and only Chirp will see the radio at all. The other 2 give me errors in communication with the radio. At least Chrip will allow me to download frequencies that I already have programmed in the radio so I know the software is seeing the radio.

Now that I have frequencies in Chirp, I've seen that I should save these frequencies as a template but the save/save as is grayed out. I hoped I could simply download my frequencies, add some new ones and upload those to the radio but I'm doing something wrong I guess. Any Chirp guys on here able to trouble shoot with me?
Did you get this resolved?