• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming Minitor VI pagers HELP!

homerun1977

Premium Subscriber
I am admitting up front here that i do not know jack about programming Pagers.
I am trying to take an existing pager and cloning all the programming and frequencies and apply it to 10 new pagers. Is this possible? i have the programming software downloaded and the cradle. When i try to read the codeplug from the old pager it acts like it can not communicate? Please HELP! Thanx!

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Try using an alcohol pad and clean the contacts on bottom. They get dirty and don’t make contact with the cradle. When you put pager in cradle you should hear the usb connect tone on computer.

homerun1977

Premium Subscriber
Try using an alcohol pad and clean the contacts on bottom. They get dirty and don’t make contact with the cradle. When you put pager in cradle you should hear the usb connect tone on computer.
Is it possible to clone the old programming profile and dump it on to the new ones?

Nilsog

Make sure you're turning the pager on. I have this problem all the time, clean the contacts as advised above and try inserting/removing the pager between attempts to read the codeplug.

As for cloning, once you have the codeplug programmed as desired, save it, then write to the pager. Insert your next pager and write to that one. Continue for all pagers desired for that programming.

homerun1977

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you're turning the pager on. I have this problem all the time, clean the contacts as advised above and try inserting/removing the pager between attempts to read the codeplug.

As for cloning, once you have the codeplug programmed as desired, save it, then write to the pager. Insert your next pager and write to that one. Continue for all pagers desired for that programming.
My question though is can I pull frequencies/programming off an old minitor VI that was previously programmed and apply that same programming to the new ones or do I have to manually start over with the new codeplug?

Nilsog

My question though is can I pull frequencies/programming off an old minitor VI that was previously programmed and apply that same programming to the new ones or do I have to manually start over with the new codeplug?
Yes, you can. Read the code plug, save it, then write it to as many pagers as you wish.

homerun1977

Premium Subscriber
So I was able to pull the codeplug off an older pager but it would not write to the new ones es because even though they are both minitor VI they have different model numbers. The old 1 is a 1-channel radio and the new 1 is a 5-channel radio.
I was however able to pull the frequencies etc. Off the old code plug.
My question is should all 5 channels be set with the same frequency, tone and coding or should it only be channel 1 and then rest of them should be left blank?

Nilsog

So I was able to pull the codeplug off an older pager but it would not write to the new ones es because even though they are both minitor VI they have different model numbers. The old 1 is a 1-channel radio and the new 1 is a 5-channel radio.
I was however able to pull the frequencies etc. Off the old code plug.
My question is should all 5 channels be set with the same frequency, tone and coding or should it only be channel 1 and then rest of them should be left blank?
It's your decision, really. This is the opportunity for you to add a vibrate channel, monitor channel, single tone channels (if you use more than one set). My department is set up like the following:

A: Monitor dispatch frequency
B: Tone & vibrate, Fire & Rescue tones
C: Vibrate, Fire & Rescue tones
D: Tone & vibrate, Fire tone only
E: Monitor State Fire frequency

This works fairly well for us. The great thing about these pagers is their versatility. So draw up a channel plan before you start tweaking your code plug. You might want to get some input from the guys that will be using them too.