programming port broke

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannernut09

Well on my bct15x the port to put the cable is some how broke or I am not getting a good connection. I have tried another cord and its still not working. So is this something that i can fix myself or do I have to take it in to get it fixed?

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
>this post< may help you. Another member found a suitable replacement port pretty cheap for his HH model (I'm not sure if the same exact port setup is used in the 15X). Have you opened up your scanner to check the port? If it is a surface mount part then the solder pad may have lifted off the PCB, if this is the case then you may be able to repair it by resoldering it or wiring a short jumper wire to a suitable trace.

Whether or not you can repair it yourself depends on your soldering/desoldering skills. With a steady hand and a good quality soldering iron you should be able to tackle it yourself. Alternatively you can send it to Uniden for their flat rate $50 repair. Either way I would start by opening up the scanner to see what's wrong first, and go from there.

Good luck :)

RBMTS

Are you not getting any response when trying to access the radio via the serial port? Make sure you didn't disable the serial port via the "settings" function that you can access via the menu button. Not sure if you checked that yet but perhaps the port was turned off by accident and it's not a bad connection in the port itself. Just thought I'd step you back to ground zero before assuming anything - just to be safe.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Just noticed that I forgot to post the actual link to the post/thread I was referring to.

>here< is the link. Good luck :)

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
The port certainly does not "just pop out". It must be desoldered first. If the port is a through hole port then removal is pretty easy, but if it is a surface mount port then it is more difficult to remove without the proper equipment and experience working with SMD components.

Before you try and remove the port (if you decide to try it yourself) you should first determine that it is physically damaged or defective first.

Can you see anything broken? Is there continuity between each pin and the PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.