• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming problem tk-790

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIOSLTD

I have a kenwood tk-790 with the kch-11 control head the radio display shows unprogram i go to read the radio it shows on the display -pc- which is right then the rss reads check connections and it won't read or write am i doing some thing wrong?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
No, you're not doing anything wrong. There is a communication problem somewhere. The radio is receiving data from the PC (hence the display showing "PC"). However it appears the PC is not receiving data from the radio and giving you an error. Are you using a true Kenwood mic to 9 pin serial cable? Does the computer have a serial port or are you using a USB to serial adapter? Have you used your computer to program other radios successfully?

Make sure the mic connector is in the correct position in the housing and it goes in and out freely. Maybe clean the contacts on the cable and the mic jack...

RADIOSLTD

thanks for your help i am using a db-9 serial cable with the 12 pin mic connector in side the connector the read/write wire is on pin-6 (TRD) & ground wire is on pin-5 (E) is there a wire missing ? i use a good computer to program the radios (keenwood as well as motorola/icom/vertex) windows 98 & 2000 as i try to program read or write the transmit led lights for 3 sec and then goes out shows -PC- on the display only. should there be a 3rd wire for v-out, i cleaned the contacts very well, please any is there any more i can do, big thanks.

FLATGUNPHIL

Not always correct. My TK-790 programs just fine on XP PRO, as the CPS (KPG44D) works in Windows.

Phil KK6PE

Pat

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar problem using a non-Kenwood brand programming cable purchased off of eBay. I ended up getting a genuine Kenwood cable and that solved the problem for me.

Pat

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
After looking at the schematic for the radio, you are right. There is a single data TX/RX line and this goes directly into the serial data line that the control head/radio communicates with. Should be able to shake the radio up into programming ig it at least shows PC on the display.

I use KPG44-D windows version on a computer running XP with a belkin USB to serial adapter and a true blue Kenwwod cable with no problems.

RADIOSLTD

it works

well guys i checked all cables, radios and software well i some time program with windows xp it works fine just not this time so i wanted to try my old dell latitude cpi with windows 98 it worked great i contacted a friend in tx and he said that the kpg-44d was made for windows 98 and that it works with the early xp ver. my xp was the newer ver just wanted to give a heads up thanks to all that gave there help.

tpl11584

KPG 44d

try setting your com port to a lower speed & set for on/off control thats what i have to do with alot of kenwood programs . most will run on xp sp3 & xp media addition. just have to get your com port settings right .Hope this helps

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
i contacted a friend in tx and he said that the kpg-44d was made for windows 98 and that it works with the early xp ver. my xp was the newer ver just wanted to give a heads up thanks to all that gave there help.

That information is not correct. I work for a Kenwood LMR dealer/authorized warranty repair shop and we use KPG44D Ver 2.03 all day long on XP machines. 2.03 dates to 10/27/09 well after Vista was released. I still have R2.02 on one of my XP (SP3) machines, and we have a few Vista machines with 2.03 and USB ports. I would suspect your version is not up to date.

Jim

RADIOGUY2002

Okay guys

Here is my issue,

My tk-390 shows PC when I'm tiring to read to it, firmware is v2.10 and software is 2.01. Programming with aftermarket cable. Any ideas....what am I missing.

Thanks

code3cowboy

Here is my issue,

My tk-390 shows PC when I'm tiring to read to it, firmware is v2.10 and software is 2.01. Programming with aftermarket cable. Any ideas....what am I missing.

Thanks

Please refrain from hijacking threads.

Make sure your contacts are clean and your cable is firmly/securely attached to the radio, and your cable is connected securely to the computers port.

RADIOGUY2002

I did not intend to hijack the thread if you feel that is the case, more seeking guidance from those in the know, because of the similar nature. In any case it not pin contact issue, the factory cable worked just find. The aftermarket cable did not work on the tk-390 however it works on the 2140/3140 for some reason. The factory cable has more pins and may corrlate or the fact of it being serial as oppoise to usb. The rulling theory is still out there. Anyway its done, so thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.