Programming Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Just posting some trials and tribulations hoping it helps someone else.

So I've had an SDS100 for a couple of years and used Proscan which I love. For some reason the scanner bug bit me hard again recently and I decided to buy an SDS200 and I picked up a HomePatrol 2 as well. Have scanners all over the place.

I understand Sentinel just fine and the other day I decided to use Proscan to program my scanners. I had been listening to a Statewide Event (a manhunt for a fugitive) and I downloaded from the scanner and then added some talk groups I found and then wrote to the scanner.

To my surprise I couldn't get the statewide event unless I enabled a full database scan. Then the Statewide event showed up. When I disabled the full database I did eventually catch a call from that talk group but everything said unknown.

At this point I just hooked it back up to Sentinel and did a force full data base and made my talk group changes.

I need to state that

THIS WAS NOT THE FAULT OF PROSCAN. THIS WAS MY FAULT.

I had never loaded the radioreference database. Makes perfect sense now what happened. I've since corrected the issue.

Then while digging around and googling about programming software I found something called Arc536. I find it kind of odd that I have been lurking here for a long time and the existence of this software had eluded me all this time. I have not bought it, and probably won't because I don't see where it does anything that Proscan doesn't already do.

To my surprise as well I saw a Mac app called Scanner Remote that connects the Uniden to the Mac via USB only. As many years as I have yearned for such a program for Mac I don't see me using it as I have my SDS200 hooked to the network and hooked to a computer running Proscan. As much as I hate to admit it I maintain a Windows computer.

And as much as I'd love some scanner software for a Mac it would tie one of them in one spot. I don't mind dedicating a cheap Windows laptop to that task because I essentially hate Windows. And I'm an SDR geek and there is a lot of cool software for SDR's for Windows. I'd love to live 100% in a Mac / Linux / FreeBSD world but it ain't gonna happen :)

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
I do that too. Even had Sentinel working under WINE once. But Catalina broke that.

DASFlies

I do that too. Even had Sentinel working under WINE once. But Catalina broke that.
I just got Sentinel working on Catalina using Wineskin. It look a fair amount of trial and error, bur works perfectly now. All because I wanted to get rid of an old Windows PC that I kept just to program the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.