• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Project: 2m-70cm Mobile setup on Black Dodge Challenger. Yaesu FT-8800R - Need help with mount location without drilling and no mag mount.

Fallout717

Premium Subscriber
Ever walked around your vehicle too many times to ponder modification options? That is where I am at the moment. I am hesitant to pull the trigger on a mount and antenna without some feedback from some more experienced hams. See, my predicament is that I don't want to drill holes into the Challenger for a center-roof mounted whip and do not want to scratch it up with a mag mount (plus speed is a factor. *wink wink*). I understand that option would provide the best ground plane but...it's a Challenger. That is my road warrior, man! Now I will try not to be too much of a princess about it. I would like a lip mount of some kind that is of a lower profile than some of the adjustable lip mounts that I have seen out there. Some of those things are just bricks. I have been eyeing the MFJ 346M Trunk Lip Mini-Mount on DX Engineering's site but there is a bit of a slope on the trunk and hood so the minimal adjustability on the mount would mean a slanted vertical whip which I of course don't want either. I saw another method that perhaps one of you can give me a little feedback on. I saw someone remove their shark fin antenna on the roof (rear-center of roof) and replace it with a fairly sleek looking nmo mount that has a shark fin'ish look. That was the EM Wave EM-MG11006-SP on theantennafarm.com. I would need to drop the headliner a bit to access the existing hole to replace the sharkfin with that EM Wave mount. It covers the existing hole and has a gasket to seal it all to avoid leaking. I know this effects the ground plane but perhaps someone can think of a nifty counterpoise method to regain the ground plane a bit while also maintaining a sleeker look. Wondering if I can run some wires from the mount between the roof and the headliner to achieve that idea or if I am overthinking it.

Regarding antennas, if I am going to go with a lip mount of some kind, I would probably go with a higher gain antenna since there is that space from the hood/trunk to the top of the roof. If I go with the shark fin replacement method, I am thinking of sporting a shorter dual-band whip (most likely 1/4 VHF and 5/8 UHF) for on the move operation and swap that out with a larger antenna if I am in a location where I can be idle for a while or if I need more gain on the move. I have also seen the Compactenna but I see conflicting reviews all over the place. Some guys love it and some say it is junk. It is pricey but might be a nice sleek option if it is worth it. Not sure if some of the negative reviews are just fuddish and $140+ is a little steep for me to burn at the moment.

I am utilizing a transceiver a friend gifted me a while back. The Yaesu FT-8800R (50W at high power). I would like to get the separation cables and bracket for headless unit operation. Mount and antenna options would also dictate where I mount the transceiver in the car. I can access terminals for the battery in both the front and back of the car (battery physically in the trunk but remote battery terminals under the hood as well)

Take a good look at a Dodge Challenger's dimensions and let me know your thoughts based on what I just threw at ya. Pictures included of car and a few of the mount options I am pondering.

-KE2DPW

Attachments

• Challenger front side.jpg
    Challenger front side.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Challenger rear.jpg
    Challenger rear.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Challenger side.jpg
    Challenger side.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Challenger top.jpg
    Challenger top.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 33
  • EM Wavew NMO mount.png
    EM Wavew NMO mount.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 32
  • MFJ NMO mount.png
    MFJ NMO mount.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Diamond K400 adjustable UHF mount.png
    Diamond K400 adjustable UHF mount.png
    557.4 KB · Views: 27

Fallout717

Premium Subscriber
I definitely like that better than the MFG chrome mount. What are your thoughts on the mount location?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The trunk lip mount with a black VHF 1/4 wave would be a good middle ground. EM Wave 1/4 wave would be my choice. The black would blend in nicely.

The shark fin antenna with a 1/4 wave whip on it would be an interesting set up. We have an 'unmarked' Ford Utility set up like that, and it looks close enough to stock to get away with it. You'd loose your AM/FM/XM/etc. stuff, but it would look nice.

Fallout717

Premium Subscriber
The trunk lip mount with a black VHF 1/4 wave would be a good middle ground. EM Wave 1/4 wave would be my choice. The black would blend in nicely.

The shark fin antenna with a 1/4 wave whip on it would be an interesting set up. We have an 'unmarked' Ford Utility set up like that, and it looks close enough to stock to get away with it. You'd loose your AM/FM/XM/etc. stuff, but it would look nice.
Thank you. Yeah, I keep jumping back and forth between those options. Must have looked at the car a dozen times today after my post. @AK9R 's recommendation about the low profile lip mount centered on the trunk right below the rear window grabbed my attention so I went out to take another look at the car. Unfortunately, the trunk lid flares up to meet the slope of the rear window at that lip so that fixed mount would tilt the antenna on probably close to a 45 degree angle. There are a number of aerodynamic flares and slopes on this car that make solid non-adjustable mounts difficult in the usual ideal locations but it is also what is making this an interesting project to ponder over. I would need to offset the mount on one of the side lips of either the trunk or hood at the least sloped point if I am to used that Laird mount. Unless I am missing something. Or I could utilize the larger adjustable mounts and deal with it if I have no choice mounting on one of those flares or slopes. That is also why I keep playing with the shark fin option in my head here. However, that also provides limited adjustability and the roof just starts to slope into the rear window a bit right before the drop-off point right behind that antenna position. I don't mind losing the AM/FM/XM capability since I rarely use it anymore. If I do end up trying to use the shark fin option, maybe I can find a small rubber wedge under the mount to adjust any slope the the antenna. :unsure:

Attachments

• Trunk lid flare right below rear window.jpg
    Trunk lid flare right below rear window.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 31

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you go with the trunk lip mount and the 1/4 wave, just bend the antenna whip so it's vertical.
I wouldn't use the taller adjustable mount, looks dorky and puts the antenna above the ground plane.

If you go with the shark fin, I wouldn't get too hung up on it not being perfectly vertical. It'll still work much better than having a hand held inside the car, or some other compromise mount. Getting the antenna up and in the clear (as well as over a good ground plane, is going to help it work well.

Short of drilling a hole in the center of the roof, anything else is going to be some amount of compromise. Pick what compromise you are comfortable with and go for it.

mrweather

Replacing the shark fin should only impact XM since the FM antenna (AM too I guess) is embedded in the rear window. Or at least that's been my understanding.

I'm just gonna say it: drill a hole. I've got a black 2018 Charger R/T with NMO mounts on the trunk and roof. I use black antennas too and they blend in well.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_1247380.jpg
    IMG_20200418_1247380.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 68

Fallout717

Premium Subscriber
Replacing the shark fin should only impact XM since the FM antenna (AM too I guess) is embedded in the rear window. Or at least that's been my understanding.

I'm just gonna say it: drill a hole. I've got a black 2018 Charger R/T with NMO mounts on the trunk and roof. I use black antennas too and they blend in well.
What antennas are you using and for what bands?

mrweather

I'm a big fan of Larsen products. The roof antenna is a simple NMOQ cut for 70cm and the trunk is a NMO150HW. The latter gives me better performance on 2m than a 19" whip without the added height that a 5/8 wave antenna (NMO150) would have.

My radio is a FTM-300DR.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Stick with Larsen/Laird and other professional quality mounts and antennas (EMWave is also an antenna brand worth checking out), Avoid MFJ and other "hammy" stuff.

There's also the possibility of using an "undercover" antenna like these from Sti-Co (Products - Page 1 - STI-CO).

As for your radio, the FT-8800 is a great radio (I have one), but it's a 20+ year old design. You might want to have it tested before putting it in service.

Fallout717

Premium Subscriber
Stick with Larsen/Laird and other professional quality mounts and antennas (EMWave is also an antenna brand worth checking out), Avoid MFJ and other "hammy" stuff.

There's also the possibility of using an "undercover" antenna like these from Sti-Co (Products - Page 1 - STI-CO).

As for your radio, the FT-8800 is a great radio (I have one), but it's a 20+ year old design. You might want to have it tested before putting it in service.
Thank you for that! Regarding the testing, you mean send it in to Yaesu to be testing or bring it to a ham shop?

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber

That's how it was on my Charger (except no sharkfin). The AM/FM radio antenna was, indeed, embedded in the rear window.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
hank you for that! Regarding the testing, you mean send it in to Yaesu to be testing or bring it to a ham shop?
Your choice. Personally, I'd send it to Yaesu for factory service (they're in Cypress, CA, unless you have a local ham service shop that you trust. Check with Yaesu first if they will still work on the radio since it's been out of production for some time. What you want is called "PM/FCC" which is basically preventative maintenance to bring it back to factory specs.

You may also need a new microphone cable. The outer coating on mine started to decompose after about 10 years.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I really want an antenna on my Challenger but wife says no. LTE is my friend now. Personally I'd drill as well. Done right it looks good and will work 100 times better than anything else. I planned a 1/4 wave on the trunk lid for VHF but as said was vetoed...maybe some day.