PSR 500 programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprman1955

Hi i want to update my psr 500 last done in 2011.Went to use the arc500 pro to update it.Found out its time limited grr ,i thought you could download update and use it off line as long as you want.I want to update the firmware to but GRE site does not work on my computer.So question it how the heck do i update the firmware and them the arc500 pro where its not time limited.I do NOT want to buy anything,as the scanners old !I thought update to arc500pro was free they want me to buy new version i have the keys 1 and 2 for the arc500pro software.What gives?????????Never could find firmware update for the scanner either. :I

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I don't think any of the software that programs the PSR-500 (WIN500,ARC500,etc.) update firmware. Unless there's a specific issue you are trying to resolve, I would not worry about updating f/w. If you go that route, you'll have to find the update elsewhere as GRE has gone out of business.

With regard to programming; each of the programs typically offer a 30 day free trial. The 30 days start when you first use it. Age really has little to do with it; people write these programs and should be compensated for the use. $30 is nothing in the big scope of things. It certainly makes it easier than programming by hand and cheaper than the older days when we had to spend ~$6 per crystal/channel.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I want to update the firmware to but GRE site does not work on my computer.
-
GRE, the manufacturer of your scanner, shut down all operations about 10 years ago. There was a GRE America web page maintained for some years with the latest firmware that was available at the time of the shutdown, but that appears to be offline now.

If you paid for the registration keys for ARC500 at one time, they should still work on the latest version downloaded from the Butel website. Be sure which version of the software you originally purchased. The registration keys for ARC500 will not work for ARC500 PRO.

Ensnared

Win500 is the program I used. However, my PSR 500 is sitting in a drawer due to a compromised BNC module. I aim to get this puppy rolling again. I still have the Win500 key.

The PSR 500 was the most natural sounding audio I have ever heard, to date. If you are not dealing with linear simulcast issues, this radio works great, particularly on analog when compared to other digital scanners such as Uniden.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
2.1 latest and last. be sure to read the pdf file as to which firmware to apply! Very important!
PSR-500 - The RadioReference Wiki - fyi supplied by me :)
on startup press 3 to see the firmware versions.

All the software's for these have a free trial period.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do this and let us know the CPU and DSP firmware versions: Turn the scanner off. Turn the scanner on. At the welcome screen, press 3.

sprman1955

Pressing 3 i get
uP ver 2.0
Dsp app ver 1.4
Dsp voc ver 1.0
I have the psr-500 cd demo disk usb driver ect and cable and ARC500 PRO Software. Ihave the box and everything i ordered for it and bill of sale! i am running windows 10 using chrome everythings updated and all virus softwares run and disk has been cleaned ect, ect.

ScannerSK

uP ver 2.0 is the firmware verson. This could be updated to version 2.3. Version 2.3, "addresses the EDACS ESK detection problem discovered while monitoring the Denver Public Safety system (it may occur on other systems but, to my knowledge, it's only been reported on this one)."

Version 2.3 download: http://www.starrsoft.com/Public/scanner/PSR-500_Family_CPU_U2.3.zip

Dsp app ver 1.4 is the DSP firmware version. 1.4 is the latest.

Shawn

Last edited:

fourgres

Premium Subscriber
I am still useing PSR 500 and Winn 500 I belive I have the lastes version as I alway kept up. If you want my PSR 500 I can send it to you.
( fourgres@ comcast.net )

sprman1955

I keep getting nothing enabled after i upload a scan list .I followed the PDF 5.3 nothing enabled message list and still get same message why?

sprman1955

All im trying to do is to program in CONV scan list into the scanner! All analog !Yet every time i upload a scan list 1 when i go to upload scan list 2 it deleted scan list 1 and says nothing enabled.Have tried everything to enable each list nothing works..Scanner and software is ALL up to date.I have 10 scan list i want to upload.Simple as i can make it no alpha tags ect ect.Am at a loss of what to do other than sell the dam thing.

ScannerSK

1.) Each conventional channel/object must be assigned to a scanlist which I assume you have done.
2.) You will want to program and then upload all of your scanlists at once into the scanner. Each upload to the scanner erases the existing working memory in the scanner and reprograms the scanner with the current information in the program you are using.
3.) The scanlist(s) must also be enabled/turned on.

You can manually enable/disable scanlists by pressing the numbers 0-9 or Func 0-9 while the scanner is attempting to scan or when it is displaying the nothing enabled message.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You cannot upload a single scan list to add to the scan lists in the scanner. When you upload a new file, it erases all of the scan lists already in the scanner. All of the scan lists must be included in the file before you upload it.

Status
Not open for further replies.