Psr 500 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure you read the manual... which basically says always turn off the scanner before plugging in or un-plugging external power. Mine does the same thing if I plug in the power supply without turning it off first.

ScannerSK

I personally plug in and unplug the adapter all the time while the scanner is running to check the battery voltage while charging. I don't think that caused the issue. Personally, I think the outlet or adapter must be the problem or possibly the barrel plug is coming unsoldered from the board inside the scanner.

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
I opened up, but cannot tell if anything becoming unsoldered. I'll look again. For now I got some AA rechargeables. I have other scanners, but the psr500 is one of my first loves. Repair place recommendations??

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
It's like it gets shorted out when I plug in. So if on with batteries and I plug in, it powers off. If I turn off, remove batteries and then plug in and turn on nothing happens

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased new power cord and also have the old one that I thought was faulty. Sorry to bother you guys it just irritatates me that it's doing this all of a sudden

ScannerSK

It's like it gets shorted out when I plug in. So if on with batteries and I plug in, it powers off. If I turn off, remove batteries and then plug in and turn on nothing happens

This is what happens when the power cord is not working (plugging in the cord disables the batteries). BOTH of your power cords are likely bad or the wrong type of power cord or maybe your wall outlet is bad.

noobiest

My pro 106 did this long ago and never worked again. It seems the connection bends and looses contact. I could fix it but gave up getting inside to it. From the outside, I just couldnt get a grip on it and trying used to make it do something weird like you say

Jkendr23

I am having the same problem with my PSR-500. I have come to the conclusion that there is an issue with the scanner itself, but in my case it is not worth having it sent off for repair (Besides, where do I send it?). I charge my batteries in an external charger, then operate the scanner with these. My PSR-500 will also not operate or charge whenever I use either the OEM charger or the car charger which is new. It is frustrating as I at one time always took my PSR-500 with me whenever I left my home. BTW, if anyone has any ideas as to where I can have my PSR-500 repaired please "speak up". There is still plenty to listen to here in Hinesville, GA.

dvendt

I have a 500 with a bad key pad board but all other boards, case, rubber key pad in decent condition. If you want to pay for shipping I'll give it to you. PM me if your interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.