PSR-500 questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivanovich

I have this unit updated to latest firmware.

1. In manual its saying FN + SEL opens help menu for almost every page, i never had this working for any page.

2. When press SRCH button it scans different preset ranges like HAM, Aviation, Railroads etc sometimes i get into mode where i have to click up/down arrow to switch to next frequency (like when you press TUNE), but normally its searching automatically and up/down arrow just sets direction.
How do i switch between auto and manual mode for SRCH menu?

3. I got stock antenna and live in apartment where i hardly get any phone signal, not sure if this is problem though as it shows full bar most almost full bar most of the time when i listening to some channel.

Problem is that when listening sometimes speech cuts off in middle of someone speaking for very short period like half second and then resumes.
Also at the end of transmission sort of like half second second before person stops talking and releases button.

Possible idea can it be related to welch knob setting or fact that radio is in SCAN mode?

KB7MIB

As for you having to manually step up or down while in service search mode, it sounds like you are in a high RF area, and the noise floor across the bands is very high.
Are there any nearby transmitter sites, within a few miles? (FM or TV broadcast? Business or public safety?)
Do you live in an apartment building that has a cell phone site on the roof? Or is there a site nearby?
A nearby transmitter site may also account for the drop outs in your received audio.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PSR-500

1. In manual its saying FN + SEL opens help menu for almost every page, i never had this working for any page.
I don't follow what you want to do here. If you are trying to program, you would need to press PGM first.

2. When press SRCH button it scans different preset ranges like HAM, Aviation, Railroads etc sometimes i get into mode where i have to click up/down arrow to switch to next frequency (like when you press TUNE), but normally its searching automatically and up/down arrow just sets direction.
How do i switch between auto and manual mode for SRCH menu?
It sounds like the squelch is not properly adjusted. The scanner will operate exactly how you've described if the squelch knob is turned fully counter-clockwise. Also, once you get it operational, note that you can lockout frequencies in SRCH mode by pressing L/O.

Problem is that when listening sometimes speech cuts off in middle of someone speaking for very short period like half second and then resumes. Also at the end of transmission sort of like half second second before person stops talking and releases button.
One issue sounds like you have PRI on, turn it off. The other issue depends on if you are receiving a trunked or conventional channel. Having PRI on and a CT/DC code programmed makes the issue worse. Turn off PRI first, then report if this still happens, and if so; is the channel trunked or conventional.

Possible idea can it be related to welch knob setting or fact that radio is in SCAN mode?
One problem you described in in SRCH mode, another is in SCAN mode. You can't be in both at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.