PSR-800 Antenna's RS 800 vs Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XrayOne

Has anyone been using various diamond Antenna's with their PSR-800 ?

Model # Description
RH3 Dual-band.
RH77CA High Gain Dual-Band.
RH205 2m telescopic.
RH951S Tri-band.
RH707 Dual-band.
RH789 Dual-band.
RH519 Dual-band.
RHF40 High Gain Dual-band. Flexible.
RHF10 Dual-band.

Has anyone used any of these, and received a lot of bars?

Or have the Radio Shack antenna for 800MHz worked better?

800MHz Scanner Antenna
Model:
20-283
Catalog #: 20-283

I'm looking for someone that has used it, moving around, not in one static location. Constance field use, moving around, being close to antenna towers, or being far away, and decoding P-25 signals.

Also anyone used the GRE super amplifier with a PSR-800?

GRE Super Amplifier Review- Improve Scanner Reception - YouTube

I was watching this video, and wondered if it helped anyone else achieved these kinds of results?

Uniden BCD396T with GRE Super Amp Booster+Diamond D220 Antenna - YouTube

I've also noticed people putting them on a 396T.

GRE Super Amplifier

Grove has them for $53.95

Anyone have any experienced using the PSR-800 with these antenna's, or the GRE super amplifier?

n5ims

The big key to an antenna's success is matching the antenna's band coverage to the band(s) you're trying to listen to.

The RS 800 MHz antenna works very well on the 800 MHz band (which is pretty much the 700, 800, & 900 MHz scanning frequencies), but it doesn't work very well on the VHF or UHF frequency bands.

The Diamond RH-77 works very well on the VHF-Hi and UHF bands, but rather poorly on the 800 MHz band (although the pack may say it works there, it never says it works well there, which is exactly what it does, work but not well so if you have a strong signal close by you'll get a signal, but nowhere near like the RS-800 does on weaker signals).

That covers those that I use regularly, but I suspect that the others will produce similar results. They'll work well on the bands they're designed to cover and work poorly on the other bands.

On the amp question the general answer is that an amp will help if you're in an area where there isn't much RF activity and make things worse if used where there are strong signals present. What will often happen is the strong signal (say a TV or FM broadcast station, paging or NOAA Weather transmitter or even cell phone tower) nearby it will swamp the circuits so the weak signal you may be trying to receive will actually be worse than with no amp. If you live where there are no strong signals there to overload the circuits, the amp will do a good job increasing the signal strength of that weak station and make receiption better.

Status
Not open for further replies.