PSR 800 Code search

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
If you set everything to search wi;l the PSR-800 decode and locate a PL,DCS code or a NAC code or just a PL or DCS code .
Example :153.00 MHZ whatever I set to SEARCH and it picks up digital will it locate a NAC code?
or do I have to select NAC and NAC search ?
I know if its an analog signal it will find the CTCSS code (that I know)
anyone confirm this in the software?
Cause im wondering why bother to set any PL or NAc if I can just put search on all.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I have found that if you set it to just search without specifying which code you are trying to decode, it will decode the correct one. But if you know which it is (CTCSS, DCS, NAC) and set it to decode that particular tone then it will be better at it.

You may also find that several departments may use the same frequency with different tones and without setting the tone for the one you want to listen to then you will be hearing everything on that frequency if you set it to just search.

SCPD

QRT
uniden vs gre

Unless I misunderstood your query, the unidens will do the same. You just have to make sure you program it correctly.

The uniden wont its PL search or NAC search its in the options.It does work the same its just one or the other or off.the 396XT doesnt record,the 436 does but its all channels.

The GRE 800 when set to search can find PL or NAC's which is REMARKABLE!Kudos GRE!
Now if they can make a keypad version of this radio....The software is decent so the PSR-800 is
my favorite radio to date.Clear,has full database,you can upgrade the sd card,and it records channels
individually..

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Ahh yes, I did misunderstand

The uniden wont its PL search or NAC search its in the options.It does work the same its just one or the other or off.the 396XT doesnt record,the 436 does but its all channels.

The GRE 800 when set to search can find PL or NAC's which is REMARKABLE!Kudos GRE!
Now if they can make a keypad version of this radio....The software is decent so the PSR-800 is
my favorite radio to date.Clear,has full database,you can upgrade the sd card,and it records channels
individually..

I agree. The 800 is an excellent unit. All that in a little portable- unbelievable! And the software is quite excellent as well.

It has fast become my favorite so far as well. I'm so glad I've taken the time to get around the features etc. in/on both the scanner and the software.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
I agree. The 800 is an excellent unit. All that in a little portable- unbelievable! And the software is quite excellent as well.

It has fast become my favorite so far as well. I'm so glad I've taken the time to get around the features etc. in/on both the scanner and the software.

Sorry, but it's a matter of personal choice!

I DO like my PSR800 and I am glad I bought it when I did, because one of my primary systems for listening (PG County, MD) is TDMA, as is the new Statewide FiRST system, but for simulcast P25 phase I, like Montgomery Co, MD, my HP-1 is clearer and louder and generally receives better.

For the purpose of being totally fair, the discriminator output feature on the PSR 800 is much easier to use with Unitrunker than the HP-1.

JK :)

Last edited:

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but it's a matter of personal choice!

I DO like my PSR800 and I am glad I bought it when I did, because one of my primary systems for listening (PG County, MD) is TDMA, as is the new Statewide FiRST system, but for simulcast P25 phase I, like Montgomery Co, MD, my HP-1 is clearer and louder and generally receives better.

For the purpose of being totally fair, the discriminator output feature on the PSR 800 is much easier to use with Unitrunker than the HP-1.

JK :)

Well, I will agree with you on the audio output! ;)

That is definitely not up to snuff with the other units out there but at this point it's the only thing I can find wrong with it. The other factors you mentioned don't apply to me other than the P25. But my area hasn't made the complete switch yet so time will tell there...

Status
Not open for further replies.