Psr 800 help with setting up

fordman2006

Hey, I've had psr 600 scanners for years and I have no problem programming those manually and with the different software programs. I just bought a used psr 800 cheap to try my luck at those.
It has no SD card so can u just use any mirco SD card? I'm located in Nova Scotia, Canada. Where would I find all the files for here to put on that card?
If I can get help to get started I imagine I'll be able to figure out more stuff as I go!
I read that it's nothing like the 600 so I can't clone or use that program.
Thanks for the help and I'll probably need more as I go along!

fordman2006

Thanks for all that. For now I'm gonna read all I can about it. I can't get the gre links to work, I read somewhere that there's were having the same problem.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The difference between the PSR-600 & PSR-800 is huge. I found it easier to migrate to the SDS-100. Just my $0.019999
Although I believe everyone should know how to program their radios manually, it's really silly so start out that way. Software handles a lot of things and makes it a lot easier. I've used WIN500 for PSR-600 (family) and Sentinel for SDS. TRX (which I believe includes PSR-800) uses EZ Scan, which is a different world.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Actually EZ Scan has the ability to import your programming from the PSR-600 family of scanners. I imported my PRO-106/197 programming with great results.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
It has no SD card so can u just use any mirco SD card? I'm located in Nova Scotia, Canada. Where would I find all the files for here to put on that card?
A micro-SD of 8gb is more than sufficient. You need Ez-Scan program to initialize it.
GREAmerica is no longer functioning. PM me if you would like ver 1.08 (2013) of the program and I'll email it to you.

fordman2006

A micro-SD of 8gb is more than sufficient. You need Ez-Scan program to initialize it.
GREAmerica is no longer functioning. PM me if you would like ver 1.08 (2013) of the program and I'll email it to you.
Sounds good, I sent you a pm with my email. Thanks!

fordman2006

Update!! I git the scanner working and receiving! Now I just have to figure out how to create different scan list so I can put 1 tower per list because I can monitor 4 towers from my house but I'm only receiving 1 which is the strongest signal!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@fordman2006 Highly recommend you consider investing in the Whistler Legacy Upgrade, it will improve reception and allow you to easily update the database and adds DMR.

CycleSycho

@fordman2006 Highly recommend you consider investing in the Whistler Legacy Upgrade, it will improve reception and allow you to easily update the database and adds DMR.

:) fordman, I second the whistler legacy update RaleighGuy suggested, sometimes the update price is reduced in a sale. You can save a few bucks especially since a couple of major holidays are coming up soon. Of course, no guarantees but since you've gone along for this long without DMR and P-25 PH-2 you might take advantage of a sale. The legacy upgrade will make your PSR-800 into a cloned WS-1080. One note, if before you got the radio, if it was upgraded before with that old hack, it'll cost more to 'unhack' it. Just about everyone who upgraded their older models were completely satisfied with the upgrade. Big bang for the buck (instead of buying a new radio). Of course, whatever you choose, it's your $$$. Have fun eiither way. :)

ve1sef

Update!! I git the scanner working and receiving! Now I just have to figure out how to create different scan list so I can put 1 tower per list because I can monitor 4 towers from my house but I'm only receiving 1 which is the strongest signal!
If I'm following what your saying. I think so. However, you'll have to create a system for each site with it's own individual name.
Since the talk groups can only be assigned to a trunk system You'd have to create a scan list/fleet map for each of the 4 system/sites.
On the plus side, since all 4 system/site most likely all use the same talk groups; you'd create the "fleet map" then copy and paste it 4 times.
Linking each one to a system. For example my area I'd have to create TMR Queensland, TMR Tantallon, etc.

I've programmed some PSR 600s with Butel ARC 500 and that how I got around the issue you mentioned. I've also played around with the EZ software and it seems to be the same with it too.

Only other suggestion I can give is, if this is a major issue. A second hand 996T/XT or 396XT (unless there's DMR or NXDN in you area)
would be an alternative.

Last edited: