PSR-800 SAME Weather Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

NW7OR

First, I guess I'm not understanding the manual correctly, or it simply doesn't fully explain what I want to know. Secondly, I'm not finding very much by searching the threads, but that could also be the search terms I'm using.

Anyway, my questions are these:
In order to use the SAME alert mode only (yes, I have already programmed the FIPS codes properly):

Do I need to simply set the radio to the strongest weather transmitter for my area, place the radio in standby and then save changes and go back to normal scanning, knowing that the radio is doing it's job and will alert me accordingly?

Or, do I need to also set the radio in weather priority mode as well to get the SAME alerts (which is how I'm currently doing it)?

Also, I'm not sure which alert sound (default or one of four sirens) to use, since there's no way to play one before selecting it.

I mainly want the SAME alerts and can live without the weather priority mode.

Richard, NW7OR

baybum

You have to stay in standby mode to receive the alerts. In other words, you cannot scan and get alerts. I know, bad design.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To be able to both scan and receive SAME alerts you would need two independent receivers in the scanner (one for scanning and one dedicated to the weather channel). Such a design would cost significantly more than what you normally pay for a scanner.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Not a bad design. I would not want a full-time NWS signals draining my battery, pay extra for something that isn't needed, nor carry the extra weight.

For full-time SAME alerting, buy a WX radio, they are inexpensive.

jackj

The only way to scan and be able to receive weather alerts at the same time is to set "Weather Priority". The scanner will check the weather frequency every few seconds, looking for the SAME data, then switch back to normal scanning. If you're receiving a transmission in normal scanning you will hear a burp every time it checks the weather frequency. I don't think there is any way to set the scanner to monitor for the SAME data full time without listening to the normal transmission.

It isn't really designed to be a weather radio, that's just something they added as a sales feature. I doubt that anyone really uses that feature.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
jack, that is completely wrong. No scanner can check for SAE codes while scanning. Upman has it right.

jackj

rdale, I was wrong. I guess it will silently monitor the weather frequency for SAME broadcasts. But it will also scan while monitoring for SAME data. Per the manual on page 49:

"The PSR-800 is also a sophisticated and powerful NOAA
weather radio receiver. You can monitor 24 hour NOAA weather
radio broadcasts anytime, and, you can use the PSR-800 as a
weather priority receiver while scanning to alert you to severe
weather broadcasts as they occur, or you can activate Dedicated
SAME Weather Alert Receiver mode, where your PSR-800
remains quiet until a warning for the specific geographic area(s)
you define is received."

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
rdale, I was wrong. I guess it will silently monitor the weather frequency for SAME broadcasts. But it will also scan while monitoring for SAME data. Per the manual on page 49:

"The PSR-800 is also a sophisticated and powerful NOAA
weather radio receiver. You can monitor 24 hour NOAA weather
radio broadcasts anytime, and, you can use the PSR-800 as a
weather priority receiver while scanning to alert you to severe
weather broadcasts as they occur, or you can activate Dedicated
SAME Weather Alert Receiver mode, where your PSR-800
remains quiet until a warning for the specific geographic area(s)
you define is received."

That's still incorrect. When Weather Priority is enabled, it monitors for the 1050 Hz alert tone, not SAME. The only time SAME comes into play is when the receiver is in dedicated Weather Alert mode.

mlmummert

That's still incorrect. When Weather Priority is enabled, it monitors for the 1050 Hz alert tone, not SAME. The only time SAME comes into play is when the receiver is in dedicated Weather Alert mode.

Chauffeur6 is correct. This is true on all the other scanners out there as well; they can only monitor for the 1050 Hz tone when they are scanning other stuff.

Also keep in mind while the scanner is working a trunked system, it's not monitoring anything conventional. It would be possible to even miss the 1050 Hz weather alert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DonS

Also keep in mind while the scanner is working a trunked system, it's not monitoring anything conventional. It would be possible to even miss the 1050 Hz weather alert.

The PSR-800 checks for the 1050Hz tone while monitoring a trunked system.

danw5211

Premium Subscriber
Thanks DonS. I have used the SAME alerts since day 2 of owning my PSR800. Love the ability to scan and get the Wx Alerts at the same time. No Pun Intended. This morning about 11 AM the local NWS office set off their weekly test. While I was simply scanning the Statewide system the 1050hz tone was enough to set off my Alert. Including the Christmas light LED.
On the EZSCAN tabs go to "Weather", then, from the top. Select the frequency with the best signal in the "Priority" column.
NO ATTenuation is needed.
My Check Interval is 6 seconds.
Alert tone timeout is 10 seconds.
Audio monitor duration is 90 seconds. (Enough for almost any warning).
Bottom box:
Alpha tag for each county; FIPS Code, Event ***, NO Lockouts, and Alert type is Default
Select the County or Counties that you want warnings enabled.

You are ready to scan and Wx Alert.
CAUTION: The Type 1 Alert is a Siren that will wake the Neighbors. Use with Caution and earplugs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.