• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

QCII Help

I’m looking for some help on my qcII setup. During a tone out, the radio makes its own beeps when a call comes out. These beeps block the some of the tone and voice from dispatcher and continues to beep until I press ptt button. Anyway to disable this and automatically reset itself after the dispatcher is done? Using an XPR3500e with cps 2.0

a417

We moved on past QCII when the last agency I had went to the Trbo radios, but that specific problem is solved in the HT/CDM line by making sure "Alert Tone Auto Reset" and "(?Alert Tone?) with Voice Override" is selected. I don't know where it would be in CPS2.0, sorry.

It was originally selected as voice w/override but I changed and waiting for some tones to see if it works lol. Although if it’s meant to be on voice w/override then I don’t know why it’s not working

a417

It was originally selected as voice w/override but I changed and waiting for some tones to see if it works lol. Although if it’s meant to be on voice w/override then I don’t know why it’s not working
Verify those two settings, and then see if that helps. What you are describing is exactly what the home-gamers used to complain about when they were setting up their ebay radios on our system at the time.

Ok I will verify thanks
Also, would it be possible to scan a qc2 channel and another and give priority to the qc channel when the tones drop?

Also, just to clarify, I should have the auto reset timer checked, and the voice w/override checked, correct?

Last edited:
Ok so i have voice w/carrier override set and had already had the auto reset timer set for 10 seconds so that doesnt seem to help

a417

link to a recent post of mine, that had some pix from the HT/CDM CPS. We never used QCII on the XPRs we went to, and I didn't ever field any radios with that CPS...so I'm just relaying what familiarity I had with older radios.

Does the alerting stop after 10 seconds? If it does, it is working correctly...try setting it lower than that, i vaguely recall ours being 1. I can find an old codeplug in the archives if I must.

thanks, last question lol.
if i have more then one qc2 channel setup and they are in one zone, do i have to turn on scan for that zone if i want to hear the tones if they drop for each channel?

link to a recent post of mine, that had some pix from the HT/CDM CPS. We never used QCII on the XPRs we went to, and I didn't ever field any radios with that CPS...so I'm just relaying what familiarity I had with older radios.

Does the alerting stop after 10 seconds? If it does, it is working correctly...try setting it lower than that, i vaguely recall ours being 1. I can find an old codeplug in the archives if I must.
the alerting stops and the tones stop but the radio still makes its beeps and doesnt reset until hitting the ptt button

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Walk this way...

General>General Settings>Alerts>Call Alert Tone Duration. Use the help to explain.

You can use a QCII channel in scan with the QCII as priority but understand it may not be 100% reliable and that depends on many things.
Scanning two QCII channels is a shipwreck and I advise against it. You can have two or three tone sets in a single channel. Depends on your actual tones and the tone format you choose.

Last edited:
I use a-b long b format. with fire the second part of the tone is continous and for ems its more of a beep beep for the second part of the tone. Can i combine ems and fire into one?

Walk this way...

General>General Settings>Alerts>Call Alert Tone Duration. Use the help to explain.

You can use a QCII channel in scan with the QCII as priority but understand it may not be 100% reliable and that depends on many things.
Scanning two QCII channels is a shipwreck and I advise against it. You can have two or three tone sets in a single channel. Depends on your actual tones and the tone format you choose.
i also see the call alert tone duration is set to infinite. this is what i was looking for. thank you

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Not really. Two tone sequential is two different tones. The A tone is sent for one second and B tone is sent for three seconds without any gap. This would be your EMS tones? One long continuous tone of eight seconds is a group tone and this is what fire uses?
If EMS is a two tone sequential *AND* the b tone matches the fire continuous single tone then yes the two can be in the same channel using the format you mentioned A-B/Long B.

I'm not sure what the beep beep is.

Last edited:
The A tone is the same, but the B tone is diff for fire and ems. I believe they are both 2 tone just each one has a diff b tone

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Copy that. OK, A tone is common between the two. Set the format as A-B/A-C. Put the common tone in A. Put the B tone for one in the B slot. Put the B tone for the other in the C slot. See? Clear as mud.

Awesome, i got it. I got that in, and will post once we get some tones and we'll see if it works; i think it will

Also what’s the std, mute, unmute setting? Should it be configured a certain way? Not really sure I understand what it is

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Configures how the speaker mutes/unmutes using PL/DPL. I just leave it on STD UNMUTE.

Unmute Rule
Sets the rule that determines when the radio unmutes its speaker to receive audio or data. This is a channel-wide feature.
Options
Std Unmute, MuteUnmutes when a proper Private Line (PL) code is detected, and mutes on the loss of the PL code.
And Unmute, MuteUnmutes when a proper Private Line (PL) code and a Carrier Squelch is detected, and mutes on the loss of the PL code.
And Unmute, Or MuteUnmutes when a proper Private Line (PL) code and a Carrier Squelch is detected, and mutes on the loss of the proper PL code, or the loss of the Carrier Squelch.
Notes
  • The Receive Squelch Type feature is not set to Carrier Squelch (CSQ).
  • This feature is applicable to MOTOTRBO Conventional radios in Analog mode and 3600 Trunking capable radios in Conventional mode only.

Reactions: fog