• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

QRM eliminator

slowmover

Since can’t go back to edit:

Was thinking of that Grant with recommendations made.

With Q5/QT60 only need a speaker (DRX-901).

niceguy71

so now I have to find a place for the speaker... maybe I'll hang it from above.... really not sure where to put it.. as you can see the radio is out of the way and I have the whole work bench for projects

Having a wall behind or next to.

Ceiling, another.

Corner placement might help.

A partial enclosure (behind and on one side). Maybe a third panel (leaving open one side and bottom). Can move it around speaker and change distances.

Attach wood to included speaker bracket and use rope/pullies to raise/lower once suspended. Move it “around the space” via guy lines. (Adjust enclosure after).

— Speakers (as audiophile) need a ground plane, a surface or more to enable reflection to work its magic.

1). Distance from wall
2). Possible aid of a panel or panels on 1-3 sides.

Reflection is time-based. Reason for speaker cabinets. “Sound” emanates from speaker cone outer “edges” (these are things I keep in mind as I try locations). Very small changes in axis can be profound.

A set of best stereo speakers used forty years ago (Klipschorns) was that they almost sounded better from an adjacent room . . . till the realization dawned that the recording had moved from pure sonic accuracy to the experience of concert hall.

How I felt versus parsing content note-by-note.

Yes, men do not consider the weight of words. Walter Cronkite trained himself to speak at about 110-120 WPM after noting that Americans tended to speak at 160-180 WPM. (He was also a HAM).

They don’t breathe well, nor do they use their voice as an instrument. (Well, it’s rare enough to be noticeable).

EG Marshall, actor, was an outstanding voice for those who recall CBS Radio Mystery of the Air.

I will always miss that familiar voice present in my first thirty years of life of hearing Douglas Edwards news sign-off for the CBS Radio Network while crossing America by car.

Be the right influence.

good to know, ... I bought the speaker last night... after taxes it was $212.45... it is back ordered but will ship when they get one..... probably be at least a few months. West Mountain CLR/SPKR 58407-948

niceguy71

Since can’t go back to edit:

Was thinking of that Grant with recommendations made.

With Q5/QT60 only need a speaker (DRX-901).

Slowmover ... don't tell me I messed up??????

( ACTUALLY TELL ME I MESSED UP and tell me SOON!)

I bought the West Mountain CLR/SPKR 58407-948 and plan on using it on my base station with my Anytone 5555 N II ... I know the Quad 5 has the NR technology built into it... but thought the speaker would still perform better than the Quad 5 speaker and I could use a little more help with hearing the radio. I thought you had always recommended the west mountain clear speaker for most radios........

... as for my pick-up truck, that has the old Grant in it .. I have another Anytone 5555 N II sitting on the shelf waiting for me to swap it into the pick-up truck and sell the Grant on Ebay.....

I remember you discussing the DRX9010 - Driver Extreme 5" Premium 15 Watt Extension Speaker a few times and didn't fully understand the recommendation.... but now it's getting into my thick brain..... so the Quad 5 already has the NR so all I need is the DRX901???????

so I need to get this correct.... I will only have two Quad 5's soon and don't need the West Mountain speaker for either.......... all I need is the DRX901?????

let me know ASAP as I'll try to cancel the West Mountain Speaker I just bought ( going to be on back order for months anyway) and I'll buy the DRX901

thank you...

slowmover

You won’t need the W-M with the Q5/QT60. NRC covers things.

My apologies for getting radios wrong. The Grant would benefit.

The DRX-901 has been the “audio quality best” speaker thus far in my experience. This radio type.

The KENWOOD KES-5 is the loud as hell winner, but it’s not as easy to which to listen all day with a “digital radio” (SMT) versus the older “thru hole” circuit boards

But, since like new examples are $15-25 on eBay, I’d like to see you get one as funds allow and available speaker condition appears high.

I bought (5) for $60 a few years ago.

As you’ll be experimenting with what works best, these two are HQ and should cover the range as you move a speaker around your bench location to find optimal performance.

The KES-5 is super high efficiency, and the 901 less so to allow more fidelity.

I’ll be swapping back & forth in my pickup with these two until I’m satisfied the pair of jobs I want has been satisfied as being down on the carpeted floor firing forward under my legs is not the same as overhead.

There are yet higher priced Amateur radio speakers that may apply, but location will be the hardest nut to crack at the bench.

I’m guessing “location” will differ for each, but there’ll be some correspondence which will have to do with the space (the room) and your seated position. My hope is that you’ll be able to identify at least one height over a floor coordinate which is all-purpose given aim axis similar. The reference location.

IMG_3157.jpeg

IMG_3112.jpeg

Last edited: