• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quansheng Quansheng UV-K5 Radio... downloading software.

michy

I wanted to share my experience when purchasing items from Aliexpress, or Ebay (ya.. I know... sketchy sometimes). Recently I purchased a Quansheng UV-K5 radio, just to check out.

In downloading the software from the manufacturers website (ie: www.qsfj.com), I ALWAYS check the files for malware using Virustotal. In this case I downloaded the programming software, and I was surprised that virustotal indicated an assortment of malicious "red flags".... Trojan.Win32.Generic.BISG, Win.Worm.Autoit-9941754-0, Trojan.Win32.Agent.dg, Trojan.Win32.Autoit.fiyrex, Worm.AutoIt, Trojan.Malware.216064600.susgen, Trj/Genetic.gen.

I experienced issues with malware being detected so many times when downloading support software for test equipment (load simulators/battery testers), programming software for reading/writing eeproms/bios flash chips, windows 11 debloat tools, and the list goes on and on.

Some may say.. "well, what do you expect when you buy from those places"... but I'm not rich and its either the cheap stuff, or I don't get it at all :)

Don't get me started on buy cheap electronic components on Ebay/Aliexpress, or Amazon that turn to be counterfeit... digikey and mouser are pretty well my primary choices there. :)

Anyways.. this had me wondering how many people download software from support sites, including large corporation sites and don't check it for malware before installing it. I know Virustotal can have false positives, but, seriously, people really should check most if not all they download from anywhere.

btw, I downloaded Chirp in the end, and I'm happy to report, virustotal had no complaints on the file :)

programmingsoftware.png
Anyways,

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm not surprised with the apparent contamination. While I do use some Chinese stuff (Yaesu), none of it is the CCR category. The CCRs scare me on so many levels. I try to buy American when I can but it's almost a lost cause if whatever the items is has any kind of electricity running through it. I have about a ½ dozen CNC routers and laser etchers, all made in China. Their software has never shown any indications of any kind of poisoning. I do have Bitedefender installed on every computer, just in case.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Anyways.. this had me wondering how many people download software from support sites, including large corporation sites and don't check it for malware before installing it.
I have anti-virus software running on my systems, but I'm particularly careful when I need to download from (ahem) "file sharing" sites, CCR support sites or (dot) ru domains.

SOSull66

Premium Subscriber
If you want to dabble in software that is sort of sketchy, the best idea is to run a virtual OS instance on your machine….one just for that purpose. That way if you get infected you can kill it and spin up another virtual machine.

KB0VWG

I wanted to share my experience when purchasing items from Aliexpress, or Ebay (ya.. I know... sketchy sometimes). Recently I purchased a Quansheng UV-K5 radio, just to check out.

In downloading the software from the manufacturers website (ie: www.qsfj.com), I ALWAYS check the files for malware using Virustotal. In this case I downloaded the programming software, and I was surprised that virustotal indicated an assortment of malicious "red flags".... Trojan.Win32.Generic.BISG, Win.Worm.Autoit-9941754-0, Trojan.Win32.Agent.dg, Trojan.Win32.Autoit.fiyrex, Worm.AutoIt, Trojan.Malware.216064600.susgen, Trj/Genetic.gen.

I experienced issues with malware being detected so many times when downloading support software for test equipment (load simulators/battery testers), programming software for reading/writing eeproms/bios flash chips, windows 11 debloat tools, and the list goes on and on.

Some may say.. "well, what do you expect when you buy from those places"... but I'm not rich and its either the cheap stuff, or I don't get it at all :)

Don't get me started on buy cheap electronic components on Ebay/Aliexpress, or Amazon that turn to be counterfeit... digikey and mouser are pretty well my primary choices there. :)

Anyways.. this had me wondering how many people download software from support sites, including large corporation sites and don't check it for malware before installing it. I know Virustotal can have false positives, but, seriously, people really should check most if not all they download from anywhere.

btw, I downloaded Chirp in the end, and I'm happy to report, virustotal had no complaints on the file :)

View attachment 153313

Dont mean to stray off subject But I have tried to purchase from Alliexpress and every time I try the order is closed due to security concerns and my order gets canceled. Just wondering if you have any ideas. Tried different debit cards paypal etc to no avail.
kb0vwg
wrpu444

Mikey69

Dont mean to stray off subject But I have tried to purchase from Alliexpress and every time I try the order is closed due to security concerns and my order gets canceled. Just wondering if you have any ideas. Tried different debit cards paypal etc to no avail.
kb0vwg
wrpu444
I have the exact same situation. Any advice is welcome.

Mike WA6ILQ

JvdK

In Europe the Quangsheng UV-K8(8) or UV-K6 is verry popular as you can flash custom firmware to this radio. I use github.com to flash Egzumer (v0.22) or UVMOD direct from the browser to the UV-K5(8). Works like a charm and it’s a big improvement over the original firmware. You will loose the NOAA option however, you will get a good working spectrum analyzer, AM fix for better reception and more frequency steps amongst other things. With Egzumer you still can use Chirp to program frequencies.

Although, with these firmware’s, you have the option to transmit outside 136-174MHz and 400-470MHz (airband exepted) it’s strongly adviced not to do so. Except for these 2 bands this radio has no filters to create a clean signal and will create a lot of interference on other frequencies!

BrianWillett

i am a newboe smd i sm tryin g to find three correct and reliable software and firmware downloads can someone share those with me?

inside4rom

i am a newboe smd i sm tryin g to find three correct and reliable software and firmware downloads can someone share those with me?
Many intresting things you can find on GitHub, about K5 - ry this nice software

Attachments

• k5prog_win.zip
    403.7 KB · Views: 208

solitonwave

Premium Subscriber
I used Chirp to download the configuration from my Quansheng UV-K5 and it worked. Now I am interested in finding two programs, one to interact with the radio like software defined radios can do, also where can I download a firmware update (sometimes firmware is updated to correct defects in the original firmware).

merlin

I had that problem too, but downloads from qsfj dot com do raise red flags, but keeping and running the software has been no issue.
kb0vwg
wrpu444
I ordered my UV-K5(8) straight from qsfj website, Paypal, no problem, just a bit of wait from China.
Of course all the mods and stuff from github is a site I trust.
My now 'go to' radio for various work.

merlin

I would go ahead and download k5prog_win dot zip from qsfj dot com. 'Keep the download'
That will program your Quansheng. You will need a Kenwood type programming cable <$30 on ebay.
Look into github for the several mods/firmwares that will expand the radio.
Egzumer (v0.22) is a popular one, and I use IJV. Takes 5 minutes to swap any way you like your radio.

gtucker

Premium Subscriber
i have tried a few time to download the software from qsfj.com when i hit download it goes to a blank screen. any help