• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quansheng Quansheng with Chirp - the bottom 14 lines

kdmcm

Hi.

When using the Quansheng UV-5R PLUS with Chirp, in the "Memories" tab, below the 200 memories are 14 extra lines, which contain the same information as the memory lines. Can anyone help me understand what they are for, please?

Here are the 14 lines from my original settings:

Chirp14_Original.PNG

I believe they are the start and end of bands, so that the radio knows which calibration settings to apply to each band. But this raises 3 interesting questions:

1) Why are some of the "B" frequencies lower than the "A" frequency? For example F4B is lower than F4A. Shouldn't they be monotonic?

2) Assuming the remainder of the columns are the defaults settings for that frequency range (eg 123.97 to 118.3 defaults to AM), is it the A values or the B values which are used? Notice that F2A is 6.25kHz channel separation, whereas F2B is 12.5kHz. Which value is used as the default? (Or have I completely misunderstood the purpose?

After upgrading the firmware to F4HWN, the row titles have changed:

Chirp14_Now.PNG

Notice that "F1(50M-76M)" is now "F1(18M-108M)". Which leads me to:

3) What do the row headers indicate?

Looking to be corrected / educated, please.

Thanks.

nd5y

After upgrading the firmware to F4HWN, the row titles have changed:
It's probably something in the hacked firmware that CHIRP can't handle properly.
You should ask the firmware developers. Do they have documentation for each version? Do they recommend using CHIRP for programming radios with hacked firmware? They could have changed stuff and the CHIRP developers might not have any idea what changed.

merlin

With mod upgrades, they code each band for best performance. that can shift frequencies a bit at bandswitch point.
I have IJVs mod and compared to Qs, there are different switch frequencies and broader band range.
The row headders are a Chirp thing. Chirp won't run on my PC, they are not there with Qs software.