• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

question re, GMRS, linking repeaters allowd? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8zgw

interesting !

I just read this old thread, we would like to try
linking a couple 462.675 repeaters that can't hear each other.
Both are in poor locations, but have good internet.connections.
Radio over IP is getting easy, once you get past the keying problem.

Don

jbailey618

Linking

There are a few GMRS repeaters linked to Zello - has anyone explored this? I'm building a GMRS network in Southern Oregon And am trying to explore linking

k8zgw

myGMRS.com

You can't "just" join "myGMRS.com"
you need a GMRS license, I tried.
My General class amateur license doesn't mean anything.

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
You can't "just" join "myGMRS.com"
you need a GMRS license, I tried.
My General class amateur license doesn't mean anything.

Then why are you interested in linking on GMRS, if you don't hold a GMRS license? An Amateur license is NOT valid on GMRS, contrary to the belief of some individuals.

Since myGMRS.com has repeater information, in a service where there is a lot of unlicensed interference, a valid license is required to register.

k8zgw

myGMRS.com

You miss my point Rich, I am K8ZGW, I got this call in 1960.
I WAS also KAD-1746, Which was on 462/467.700, when it was
legal to use here, North of Line "A"

When I put the repeater up ( which be soon) I will get a GMRS license .
HOWEVER this the only web forum that has any such requirement.
You can join any number of Amateur radio forums without an amateur license.
There are all sorts of Pro Audio forums that you don't need any "special"
credentials to join.

You just told someone to go to "your" myGMRS.com site to
look up something, when you could have told him over here,
I was just letting him know about your "Rule".( which I don't think is right)

Don

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
You miss my point Rich, I am K8ZGW, I got this call in 1960.
I WAS also KAD-1746, Which was on 462/467.700, when it was
legal to use here, North of Line "A"

When I put the repeater up ( which be soon) I will get a GMRS license .
HOWEVER this the only web forum that has any such requirement.
You can join any number of Amateur radio forums without an amateur license.
There are all sorts of Pro Audio forums that you don't need any "special"
credentials to join.

You just told someone to go to "your" myGMRS.com site to
look up something, when you could have told him over here,
I was just letting him know about your "Rule".( which I don't think is right)

Don

tl;dr

Don,

Once again, your Amateur "credentials" don't impress me -- you're on a GMRS forum. Perhaps it would be best if you stick to a realm you're "qualified" to be in.. the Ham forums.

I'm happy that your Amateur and "Pro-Audio" forums are open to the public -- I'm sure glad you don't need to whip out your "Pro-Audio" license to join a forum. However, being the owner of the website, I will use my own discretion in how I run it. If you're up on technical terms, you will understand the concept of Single Sign-On (SSO) and you would realize why it's convenient for users who have trouble understanding that a website and a forum have completely different login systems. In fact, since you're using RadioReference right now (either the main site OR the forum), you should already be abundantly aware that your one account grants you access to both systems. What a concept!

So once again, due to sensitive details being shared on myGMRS.com, as well as the forums, a decision was made from day one that we will only accept members with valid GMRS licenses to join (however damaging that may be traffic-wise). The trust that this builds with our users enables more people to list their repeater information who would otherwise keep it to themselves for fear of it falling into the wrong hands, as this is a major issue on GMRS in some areas. Thus, despite the fact that it would appear to hurt us or the GMRS "hobby", it actually fosters growth and community interaction that would otherwise be absent from GMRS, regarded as a dying service less than 10 years ago.

To address your other point, I'm directing anyone who comes here to an established thread on my forum where there are further details about the linking progress we have made. There is no point in further cluttering RadioReference with posts when there is an existing source of information on a website dedicated to this radio service. Copying and pasting a bunch of posts verbatim doesn't seem like a very good use of space, does it?

Forgive my tone, but much of it is being reflected back at you. I'm happy you have your opinions, this is a free country, but it is woefully inaccurate to suggest that a Ham license should have any authority on any other radio service. If you wish to participate in GMRS, dust off your equipment and apply for a new license and you'll be able to join the community and participate to your heart's content. To sit on the sidelines and complain you're not able to play along is a bit unfair. Sometimes there's information you're just not privy to.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Let me get this right: You just tl:dr'd a 3-paragraph post, and then gave a 5-paragraph response to it. Irony, anyone?

Also, Don has a good point, You're directing traffic to a site without disclosing all of the fine print terms and conditions for viewing traffic on your site. That's generally a bad idea from a customer service perspective, and you should probably rethink that approach.

Third, a GMRS license is a straight pay-to-play ticket, and unlike a ham ticket, doesn't require one to demonstrate any radio knowledge or expertise to acquire. So talking down to a ham licensee as if to a lesser form of life is a bit inappropriate--they had to do something other than write a check to earn it.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
a decision was made from day one that we will only accept members with valid GMRS licenses to join (however damaging that may be traffic-wise).

But the account remains active even after your license has expired.....or in some cases the licesee obtained a new license and has no way to update their callsign without administrative intervention....makes sense to me.

blastco2

For what its worth, I know, not much. The gmrs'ers over on that forum, seem to be easier to talk with.... Just saying. And yes I'm a member. Have the pay to play ticket. Which I had to EARN the money to PURCHASE. That earning thing took some effort on my part.... Experience, work ethic, dependable, ect.... Further more, if I didn't have some "radio knowledge" I would've had no idea that a pay to play ticket was needed.

Once again, back to lurking,

Last edited:

mike_art03a

Just gonna chime in here a bit, hate going off topic, in regards to your site myGMRS.com.

I'm a GMRS user myself, but I'm located in Canada and licenses aren't required to use the spectrum. That being said, I'm still curious to see what other people are doing in regards with the tech and guidelines/regs put in place. While I might not be able to do half the things you guys are trying due to local legislation, it's still awesome being able to see the interesting things that people come up with.

kc9euu63

linking GMRS Repeaters in southern WI

Hello,

I know we have talked on the WIN network before and I think you are Erik but not sure. Just wanted to let you know a couple of us in southern part of the state reaching the Adams area and north. If you would like to discuss this topic further let me know.

Brad Schumacher
kc9euu
wqqs389

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I know we have talked on the WIN network before and I think you are Erik but not sure. Just wanted to let you know a couple of us in southern part of the state reaching the Adams area and north. If you would like to discuss this topic further let me know.

Brad Schumacher
kc9euu
wqqs389

Hey there from N9NRA, yeah, i have heard you on the WIN system, but not in a while. Wouldda sent ya a private message but i guess you can`t recieve PM`s. I would like to chat this up with you further, if you want, i could find you on the WIN system, i do hang out on there on the Wausau site, so if i`m on there that`s where i`ll be. Oh, my name is not the one you mentioned, better you find me on the WIN system and we can have a chat there :). 73. N9NRA

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
Don't be miss-led, linking of GMRS repeaters is not permitted nor
is digital of any kind permitted. Analog only!

ecps92

Please state the FCC Regulation that says that Linking is not Permitted ?
In 30+ yrs of GMRS and FCC work, the only statement close to that is "PTSN" which was written to indicate Phone Patch

As for Analog, I agree 1000 % - yet we now have P25 users in my neck of the woods :( and they are even "Radio Shop Techs" ugh

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

I too, would like to see where linking is prohibited. Part 95, Section 141 refers to Part 95 Section 127. Section 127 has been removed. Without Section 127 for reference, I could see where a person not completely familiar with Part 95 might think that linking is prohibited. Section 127 stated that any equipment used must be compliant with Part 68, which is a standard for equipment used on the PTSN. The standard is designed to protect anyone working on the PSTN. Part 95, with full investigation, COMPLETELY allows for linking, just that if you do it over pone lines, you have to use Part 68 compliant equipment. It does not even come close to addressing linking via another GMRS frequency or utilizing IP linking (which is NOT the PTSN.)

I do have to agree with the second part though. Digital modes are expressly prohibited, and when found in use, should be reported, or even better, perhaps the FCC should be petitioned to revisit the archaic rules and bring them into the 1990s.

Another thing worth noting is that per Part 95, GMRS radios can only be crystal controlled.

quarterwave

Please state the FCC Regulation that says that Linking is not Permitted ?
In 30+ yrs of GMRS and FCC work, the only statement close to that is "PTSN" which was written to indicate Phone Patch

As for Analog, I agree 1000 % - yet we now have P25 users in my neck of the woods :( and they are even "Radio Shop Techs" ugh

I agree...

PSTN (public switched telephone network) is the world's collection of interconnected voice-oriented public telephone networks, both commercial and government-owned. It's also referred to as the Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS).

The rule pertains to a phone patch (interconnect) not being allowed in GMRS. There are no rules that say they cannot be linked via leased line (which is different from a "telephone line" although it may exist in the very same cable on a different pair). A leased line can run a thousand miles, or down the block all on one property.

Most of the rules are old enough they do not take into consideration modern IP connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.