• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidx

I have a K30 i cut it down to 26 from 35 i believe i am getting under 1.0 swr on the cb directly when i put the swr meter in to it well it messes up showing swr is outta here and my watts are low i just bought this cobra 29 any ideas? Also is the cobra swr reading wrong?

bharvey2

I haven't done any CB installs in years so I'm not familiar with the K30 antenna. However, 9" off of a 35" whip seems way too much. Standard practice is to cut in 1/8" or 1/4" increments. The SWR meters in CB aren't very accurate. Best to rely on a better quality stand alone meter. I'd head to the hardware store and pick up a 36" length of stainless steel rod of the proper size to make a new whip and start over using you stand alone meter.

kidx

I haven't done any CB installs in years so I'm not familiar with the K30 antenna. However, 9" off of a 35" whip seems way too much. Standard practice is to cut in 1/8" or 1/4" increments. The SWR meters in CB aren't very accurate. Best to rely on a better quality stand alone meter. I'd head to the hardware store and pick up a 36" length of stainless steel rod of the proper size to make a new whip and start over using you stand alone meter.

lol i have one i shortened it and the meters not doing jack yet the cb is more accurate lol. How am i not putting out 4 watts something is lieing yet i get tones of people clear. after a fre cuts my swr has not changed one bit still 3 and 2 thats a joke to rely on standalone meters unless you get a really good one not astatic PDC2.

kidx

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
thats all lies and phony jabroni nonsense it was not working from the getgo nothing was in watch this if your smart.

https://youtu.be/V9wZEIxEmU8?t=2m40s
Note that the antenna he's "tuning" is not like your K40. There's no loading coil in the base! The antenna he's working on is designed for VHF frequencies, as is the tuning chart he's referencing.

The difference between 27 MHz and 151 MHz is profound.

But, what would I know. I only worked in Land Mobile Radio for 42 years... :roll:

Don't bother responding though as I've got no patience for those who ask questions and then ignore the professional answers. :mad:

kidx

i just letting you know i was getting nothing the better thing to do is get a better antenna k30 just blows i wsa getting jack before and now something and you say i am not lol i will be getting a better antenna.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
go ahead.. keep doing what your doing and then when you blow the finals out of your radio then listen to the professionals..

kidx

well some one here say keying up a mic with no antenna can blow finals several people i know said thats a crock of crap i just posted to see what you guys thought any how. I am getting a pl259 end for my antenna any ways so ill have a good one soon.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Some radios have protection circuits to keep the finals from blowing if you don't have an antenna connected, or one with high SWR. Many radios, especially the cheaper ones, do not have the protection circuits, and you can easily blow the finals if you choose to be stupid. But that's your choice. If you damage your radio, don't come whining to us.

bharvey2

Kidx,

The video you posted doesn't specifically relate to CB antennas although the concept is similar. The speaker is working on an antenna in the VHF range (150mhz). CBs operate in the 29mhz range. The lengths and construction of these antennas will be different. Furthermore, although I didn't see it in this thread, the comment about damaging your radio when transmitting without an antenna is absolutely true. That is one reason it is important to work toward obtaining a decent SWR reading.

You need to start from scratch. Either buy a new antenna or replacement whip. Make sure all of your cables are in good condition and free of kinks or other damage. Follow the instructions that come with the antenna and your SWR meter. If something seems off, it probably is. Don't discount the idea that your antenna or meter isn't bad right out of the box especially if they are cheaper ones. A few years ago I bought a cheap SWR meter and it was "dead on arrival".

Lastly, many on this forum have years of experience, some professional. They aren't here to give you are hard time.

kidx

Kidx,

The video you posted doesn't specifically relate to CB antennas although the concept is similar. The speaker is working on an antenna in the VHF range (150mhz). CBs operate in the 29mhz range. The lengths and construction of these antennas will be different. Furthermore, although I didn't see it in this thread, the comment about damaging your radio when transmitting without an antenna is absolutely true. That is one reason it is important to work toward obtaining a decent SWR reading.

You need to start from scratch. Either buy a new antenna or replacement whip. Make sure all of your cables are in good condition and free of kinks or other damage. Follow the instructions that come with the antenna and your SWR meter. If something seems off, it probably is. Don't discount the idea that your antenna or meter isn't bad right out of the box especially if they are cheaper ones. A few years ago I bought a cheap SWR meter and it was "dead on arrival".

Lastly, many on this forum have years of experience, some professional. They aren't here to give you are hard time.

lol if I don't cut the whip ill get bad swr and blow my finals you all are crazy so don't cut my whip blow my finals on bad swr wtf are you all talking about i have the K30 and the swr is crap i agree better antenna and that's what i am gonna get soon.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If your mount surface is bad (not grounded properly, insufficient ground plane, etc.) you will get high SWR regardless of what antenna you use, or how much you cut off it. If you have to cut off more than an inch or two, then the length of the whip is NOT the problem causing the high SWR--you have a bad connection somewhere, or your mounting surface isn't metal, or the antenna isn't grounded to the mounting surface properly.

Just curious, if we are all crazy and don't know what we're talking about, why post here?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I have a K30 i cut it down to 26 from 35 i believe i am getting under 1.0 swr on the cb directly

Unfortunately, a vswr reading under 1.0 isn't possible. The best vswr you can do is 1.0.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I have a K30 i cut it down to 26 from 35 i believe i am getting under 1.0 swr on the cb directly when i put the swr meter in to it well it messes up showing swr is outta here and my watts are low i just bought this cobra 29 any ideas? Also is the cobra swr reading wrong?

Is this mounted on the Dodge you love so much?:wink:

kidx

Is this mounted on the Dodge you love so much?:wink:

who said I love dodge only you are saying that I dont drive i take a bus so gt that right bro i have epilepsy and why do i post to get real answers and even when on metal the swr was way out in 3.0 land so go figure. A lot of so called professionals get cocky when they are told right like the mechanic that blew my dads engine he was professional as well so go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.