• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Questions about Mobile units

Status
Not open for further replies.

srbecker58

So I am kinda combining a few different threads here to collect information specific to my interest.

I am debating adding a mobile unit to my truck, but I have so many questions before I commit!

1. What is a good unit if I am to install one? Midland MXT115 or MXT400?

2. What is a good antenna?

3. Can I use a drive through car wash like Delta Sonic with the antenna on my truck or do I have to remove it everytime?

4. What is the usability of GMRS in a vehicle? By this I mean compared to CB? Is there a designated channel people use on the road like truckers used to use with CB?

5. What kind of setups do people have (specifically in a Silverado if possible)? Any photos of your radio or antenna installs? Wire management?

I apologize for all the questions. I have handhelds currently and I am kinda enjoying using them, but I find reception poor sometimes with the handhelds especially in my truck, so having one in there seems like common sense, but at the same time I worry about a mobile unit being installed and then getting a new truck or it being permanently installed and only useable in the truck... I am also considering just an antenna to connect to my handheld while in the truck, but I am a wire freak and cannot stand exposed wiring, so that seems like a much less likely scenario. We do camp often with our travel trailer and I hunt, so having a radio in my truck may not be the worst idea. I just want to do my research, make sure it is a smart investment and usable before I do anything.

Thank you everyone in advance for any assistance!!!

Sean

WRMG408

bharvey2

I have no experience with the Midland mobile GMRS radios. Hopefully someone will chime in on those. With regard to antennas and installation, a Laird or Larsen on an NMO mount in the center of your roof should give you the best performance. If you have a sun roof, naturally that will restrict you mounting location. Keep it as centered as you can withing your allowable roof area.

Your terrain and target of your communications will govern which antenna to use. For most repeater work or car to car communications, a standard 1/4 wave antenna should be fine. A basic 1/4 wave Laird or Larsen can be found for $10-15 or probably less than $20 on Amazon. The NMO mount should be about the same, perhaps a bit more. As the antenna investment is pretty small, you can leave the mount in the truck when you get rid of it. When capped, the mount is not really noticeable.

With regard to taking your antenna through a car wash, it can be done but I keep a weather cap in my vehicles and unscrew the antenna and replace it with a rain cap if I go through a automated car wash. However, much will depend upon what the car wash proprietor has to say about antennas and such. Since I run longer antennas for ham as well, I always remove the antennas whether permitted or not.

Lastly, GMRS isn't generally like CB or ham radio in that it isn't a community radio service. Most people use GMRS to communicate with a specific audience such as family or friends. This isn't cast in stone but it is quite common. Also, GMRS repeaters tare often "by permission only". That being said, I do see GMRS repeaters set up with a 141.3hz travel tone for guests travelling through the area. If you travel/hunt in the same area frequently, you might see if there is a GMRS repeater in the area and see if you request access.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So I am kinda combining a few different threads here to collect information specific to my interest.

I am debating adding a mobile unit to my truck, but I have so many questions before I commit!

1. What is a good unit if I am to install one? Midland MXT115 or MXT400?

Well, they are kind of low tier radios. They are a good option for those that are migrating from using the consumer GMRS radios. The MXT115 is 15 watts and the MXT400 is 40 watts. If you are talking to other mobile users, or are intending to use repeaters, the 40 watt radio might be nice. If you are only talking to other handheld radios, then the 15 watt is sufficient. No need to have a huge imbalance between a 2 watt hand held and a 40 watt mobile.

On the other hand, if you are really serious about GMRS, then consider a commercial UHF mobile radio with Part 95 certification. The Kenwood TK-8180 in the 450-520MHz band split is a good option. Drawback is that you'll need to buy programming software and cable. It's not difficult to program, but takes some time to learn. Benefit is that it lets you set up the radio the way you want, name channels, etc. When I was active in GMRS, I used Icom mobiles and was very happy with them.

2. What is a good antenna?

Good question!
Permanent mount NMO is the way to do it. I know that some don't want to drill holes in the roof of their truck, but it really does make a difference. For UHF, you do want the antenna up high and in the clear. That means top of the truck. Make sure you have at least a 12" diameter ground plane under the antenna for best performance.

I ran my radios like that. Center of the truck roof. I experimented with 1/4 wave and 5/8'ths wave antennas, and never saw any difference in performance. The 1/4 wave is less expensive and gives a nice radiation pattern that's good in the mountains. It'll be about 6 inches tall and will blend in very well.

5/8'ths wave will be around 16 inches tall, so it'll stand out a bit more. It'll show some more gain, but I never noticed any difference in performance.

The low profile 'salt shaker' size antennas can work OK on UHF, but not better than the others, and they'll be more expensive.

If it was me, Larsen NMOQ cut for around 465MHz would be a good choice.
I've been trying out some EM Wave antennas recently, and I really like those.

3. Can I use a drive through car wash like Delta Sonic with the antenna on my truck or do I have to remove it everytime?

It's always a risk. I've been through car washes with the 1/4 wave antennas on the top and they've survived just fine. I prefer to take them off, although none of my current trucks will ever see a car wash like that. It's always a good idea to remove the antenna and put a rain cap on top when using a car wash.

4. What is the usability of GMRS in a vehicle? By this I mean compared to CB? Is there a designated channel people use on the road like truckers used to use with CB?

It's entirely going to depend on the local usage. In my experience, GMRS has never been used as a random contact CB like service. Most users are utilizing it just within the family or small group and don't always want to talk to strangers. Often they'll have CTCSS or DCS squelch set and wouldn't hear a random call anyway.

You may find that things are different in your area.

462.675 with a 141.3Hz CTCSS simplex or 462/467.675 with a 141.3Hz CTCSS repeater is often considered the "travelers assistance" channel and where there are active REACT groups using GMRS and GMRS repeaters, they'll often have a repeater on 462/467.675 141.3Hz set up.
But in my experience, there's little traffic and I rarely got an answer on those repeaters. Your exact local environment will dictate your own experience.

5. What kind of setups do people have (specifically in a Silverado if possible)? Any photos of your radio or antenna installs? Wire management?

I always did permanent mount antennas, installed radios and power directly off the vehicle battery. That'll give you the best performance out of your system.
I've done a few installs on Chevy pickups, probably going back into the 1995 models, all the way up to the 2020's. I did a post a year or so ago when I installed a dual band amateur radio in my brother in laws 2020 Silverado. Do a search on it and it should show up. I included a lot of photos and measurements on antenna install, connecting to the battery, etc.
It's not hard to do permanent installs on the large American made trucks.

All the wiring can be hidden and the only parts visible would be the radio, microphone and antenna. I've done some installs where the radio is inside the center console, so the antenna was the only visible component.

I apologize for all the questions. I have handhelds currently and I am kinda enjoying using them, but I find reception poor sometimes with the handhelds especially in my truck, so having one in there seems like common sense, but at the same time I worry about a mobile unit being installed and then getting a new truck or it being permanently installed and only useable in the truck... I am also considering just an antenna to connect to my handheld while in the truck, but I am a wire freak and cannot stand exposed wiring, so that seems like a much less likely scenario. We do camp often with our travel trailer and I hunt, so having a radio in my truck may not be the worst idea. I just want to do my research, make sure it is a smart investment and usable before I do anything.

Nah, it's cool. I love permanent installs and am happy to share my knowledge with others.

Hand held radios inside a vehicle are going to suffer greatly due to the metal and tinted glass around you. Going from a hand held inside the truck to a permanent antenna on the roof and a good radio is going to be a night and day difference for you. You'll wish you'd done it a long time ago.

If you are careful with the installs, it's not hard to remove the radio from the truck and leave little trace behind.
For the antenna mount on top, just get a cellular type antenna and put it up there when you sell the truck. Tell the new owner that you get better cell phone performance with it. Or, just cap it off. I've privately sold and traded in numerous vehicles with antenna mounts on top and never once had it impact resale value.
As for holes inside, you can go to the hardware store and buy plastic hole plugs. Just pop those in the mounting holes and be done with it.

Connecting an antenna to a portable can work. My brother did that for years. It benefits from the external antenna. Where he ran into issues was that the audio quality from a small speaker became an issue. Keeping the battery charged was a challenge. More often than not, the speaker mic would fall down between the seat and get keyed up, tying up the frequency. After a while, he got tired of it and did a mobile install.

Hiding wiring isn't an issue. None of the installs I do have any visible wiring, anywhere. It takes some extra work, but it's not that hard. Just think everything through. Don't try to rush the installation. A good install can take a full day or more to do well. On my personal and work vehicles, the only things that show are the radio control head, microphone and the antenna.
The only place that any wiring is visible is the power run to the battery. And then I put the wiring in black split loom tubing so it blends in with all the other underhood wiring.

As for if this is the right setup,
If you have someone specific you want to talk to, then GMRS is a good choice. If you are looking for random on the road contacts, then CB or ham may be a better choice.

Also, be sure to check with your local Fish and Game regarding radio use while hunting, some have rules that prohibit that.

srbecker58

Wow! So in depth, I love it!!! I did read through your entire thread about your brothers truck, it was a great post!!!! Thank you so much for that great reply as well.

I am still quite sure (but not entirely) that GMRS was the best choice for me because like you said, the intent of them is to talk to my wife/kids when camping, use when hunting, which as far as I know is permitted in NYS, and although we havent used them in this fashion yet, to use from vehicle to vehicle when traveling to campgrounds with my parents and others who will likely be a short distance from us. Yes, we can use cell phones, but I feel the radios could be more beneficial as it doesnt interrupt the radio and I dont have call every 3 minutes to ask a simple question. If that makes sense?

On the other hand, I see radios as a SHTF back up communications as well, but I feel GMRS is a poor choice for that. HAM is likely a better option, but I dont really have an interest in getting my HAM license, having separate radios for that or having regular conversations with random people, although it is fun to check in with my local repeater guys now and then on GMRS.

I think, based on everyones feedback and my original choice to go with GMRS over HAM is the smarter choice and will suit me well for my intended uses, but that maybe I should get a cheaper BaoFeng or something capable of the amateur bands for a SHTF scenario when FCC regulations wont matter?

The next dilemma is radio choices. I currently have cheap Radioddity GM-30's that have my local emergency channels programmed in as listening channels, my local repeaters, and have my GMRS license. These are great day to day radios, cheap, and good for radio to radio contact such as camping, hunting and driving with others. I also currently have a Wouxun UV9G on order which give me a GMRS on steroids, but still a GRMS radio. Do I keep that backorder, cancel it to get a mobile unit, keep the backorder and get a cheap BaoFeng for SHTF communications, or cancel the backorder and still get a CCR for SHTF. I am just not sure! lol.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wow! So in depth, I love it!!! I did read through your entire thread about your brothers truck, it was a great post!!!! Thank you so much for that great reply as well.

Glad that was helpful. My intent was to assist others that are looking to do a permanent install. Makes life easier if you have something to start with.

I am still quite sure (but not entirely) that GMRS was the best choice for me because like you said, the intent of them is to talk to my wife/kids when camping, use when hunting, which as far as I know is permitted in NYS, and although we havent used them in this fashion yet, to use from vehicle to vehicle when traveling to campgrounds with my parents and others who will likely be a short distance from us. Yes, we can use cell phones, but I feel the radios could be more beneficial as it doesnt interrupt the radio and I dont have call every 3 minutes to ask a simple question. If that makes sense?

Makes perfect sense, and it's exactly what we did with it. I was eventually able to get them interested in obtaining their ham license, and we moved to 2 meters, but exact same use. Travel, ATV use, etc. Cell phones are a pain in the butt and you don't always have coverage everywhere.
There are lots of other radio services, but GMRS is hard to beat.

On the other hand, I see radios as a SHTF back up communications as well, but I feel GMRS is a poor choice for that. HAM is likely a better option, but I dont really have an interest in getting my HAM license, having separate radios for that or having regular conversations with random people, although it is fun to check in with my local repeater guys now and then on GMRS.

Don't let anyone push you into getting your ham license if you don't want to. Some ham's love to shame others into getting their licenses, and I'm not sure why. I'm a ham and have been for decades, but it's not the answer to every problem. GMRS can be a perfectly good radio service for those that just need basic communications.

I think, based on everyones feedback and my original choice to go with GMRS over HAM is the smarter choice and will suit me well for my intended uses, but that maybe I should get a cheaper BaoFeng or something capable of the amateur bands for a SHTF scenario when FCC regulations wont matter?

The term "SHTF" means different things to different people.

FCC rules do matter and will still be applicable.

Hams won't be a magic source of help in a "SHTF" scenario. In fact, they are really protective of their spectrum and won't take kindly to unlicensed users with crappy sound radios showing up in any sort of situation.

Baofengs are crappy little radios and should never be relied on for anything other than hobby use. They are good low cost entry level radios for ham radio use, but that's where it stops. Unless budget is a challenge, they are not a good solution for anything, other than maybe a door stop or tire chock.

The next dilemma is radio choices. I currently have cheap Radioddity GM-30's that have my local emergency channels programmed in as listening channels, my local repeaters, and have my GMRS license. These are great day to day radios, cheap, and good for radio to radio contact such as camping, hunting and driving with others. I also currently have a Wouxun UV9G on order which give me a GMRS on steroids, but still a GRMS radio. Do I keep that backorder, cancel it to get a mobile unit, keep the backorder and get a cheap BaoFeng for SHTF communications, or cancel the backorder and still get a CCR for SHTF. I am just not sure! lol.

If you are comfortable programming two way radios, then something like a Kenwood TK-8180 in the 30 watt version, 450-520MHz band split is a good choice. That specific model/version/band split has the Part 95 certification that's required for GMRS use. It's a good solid radio and will have more features than you'll ever need. You can add the KRK-10 remote head kit and mount the radio behind the seat and just have the control head on the dash/center console. It'll easily out perform any of the CCR's (portable or mobile) hands down. The other benefit is that they have sensitive receivers with good filtering, and will not have issues in high RF noise environments.
It'll cost a bit more up front, but it's a solid radio that will last you decades. Coupled with a good permanent mount antenna, it'll work way better than the CCR's.

I wouldn't recommend any of the Cheap Chinese Radios for any use. Putting your communications needs on a $20 Chinese radio with limited quality control, no real filtering on the front end, and questionable reliability even new out of the box doesn't sound like a good idea.

srbecker58

I am pretty comfortable programming so far. I have used CHIRP and the Radioddity software to program radios. I am pretty tech savvy so that doesnt bother me much.

Those Kenwoods look pretty decent! I take it you would recommend that over the Midlands or a Wouxun then, at least for a mobile setup?

What about the Wouxun UV9G? It is a GMRS version of the UV9 series by Wouxun. I know Wouxun is still made in China, but are they still considered CCR's at the price of $160 for a handheld? Do I keep that backorder for that radio in your opinion or am I better off sticking with my CCR Radioddity GM-30s for my everyday use and put that money towards a mobile setup in my truck?

The reason I like the idea of the Wouxun UV9G is the dual radio functionality. I can have one on my kids channel and the other on a local repeater and actually listen to and transmit to both simultaneously which I thought is pretty cool for camping and stuff. Thoughts/professional opinion?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Those Kenwoods look pretty decent! I take it you would recommend that over the Midlands or a Wouxun then, at least for a mobile setup?

Yes. Much better radio. I'm running the VHF version (TK-7180) in my wife's truck.
It's the same radio chassis that the Kenwood NX-x00 NXDN and TK-5x20 P25 radios are built off of. There's a ton of accessories out there. They are/were still being sold by Kenwood last time I looked. There's a lot of them on the used market.
I've got about 50 or so of the NX-900 NXDN digital versions on my system at work and haven't had any issues with them at all in 9-10 years now.

You can also look at the TK-3180 in the 450-520MHz version. It has Part 95 GMRS certifications. Programmed with the same software as the TK-8180. In fact, you can usually port the same programming file directly between radios. I use an old TK-3180 as a 'shop radio' for doing testing on the few UHF systems I have. Good radios, and lots on the used market.

What about the Wouxun UV9G? It is a GMRS version of the UV9 series by Wouxun. I know Wouxun is still made in China, but are they still considered CCR's at the price of $160 for a handheld?

Even if they jack the price up, they are still what I'd consider a CCR. Low part count radios. Poor filtering on the front end.

Do I keep that backorder for that radio in your opinion or am I better off sticking with my CCR Radioddity GM-30s for my everyday use and put that money towards a mobile setup in my truck?

It's up to you, but from what you are saying your usage will be, you will be much happier with a good mobile permanently installed in your truck. You can often find the TK-8180's in the $125 range. The KRK-10 remote head kits are rare to find used, but you can get new kits in the $80 range.

The reason I like the idea of the Wouxun UV9G is the dual radio functionality. I can have one on my kids channel and the other on a local repeater and actually listen to and transmit to both simultaneously which I thought is pretty cool for camping and stuff. Thoughts/professional opinion?

You can easily set up a scan list on the Kenwood and do the same thing. You won't hear both channels at the same time, as it's only one receiver, but how many times do you actually need to hear both channels?

You can set up a scan add/delete button and change your scan list on the fly.

I'm using a mix of Kenwood and Motorola for all my personal stuff. I ditched all my ham radio equipment years ago and never looked back. Once you start using the professional grade stuff, you'll wonder why you didn't switch long ago.

I've had to deal with Baofengs and Wouxuns that get brought in at work. I've put them on $40,000 service monitors to check them and most of them have been operating out of specifications. Many far enough out that they would not be legal to use on our systems. All of them have been replaced with Kenwood's and the end users haven't regretted it. You get what you pay for, and there is a big difference between a CCR and a professional grade radio. Once you use them both, you'll realize why so many of us here discourage the use of the CCR's. They do have their place in amateur radio for entry level, low budget users, but that's where it pretty much stops. Some are happy with them, but they are often first time users and don't have higher grade radios to compare them to.

srbecker58

So, based on that response, your recommendation would be to cancel my UV9G backorder and put that $160 towards a pro grade mobile radio for my truck, then use my CCR's I already have for my everyday camping/hunting use where pro grade quality really isnt a big concern?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, based on that response, your recommendation would be to cancel my UV9G backorder and put that $160 towards a pro grade mobile radio for my truck, then use my CCR's I already have for my everyday camping/hunting use where pro grade quality really isnt a big concern?

That's what I'd recommend. That $160 will go a long ways towards a radio that you will be much happier with.

bharvey2

Although I've acquired a few Baofengs/Wouxun handhelds over the years, I would definitely go with mmckenna's recommendations on the Kenwoods. I have a number of TK8180/3180/3140s and their older siblings the TK880/380s and they are all far superior to the CCR radios plus, they are certified for GMRS whereas many of the CCRs aren't. Going the used Kenwood route won't be much more expensive than the CCR counterparts but you'll have a much more rugged and reliable product.

Per you question, forego the UV9G, look for a TK8180 and accessories for your truck, use the handhelds that you have and upgrade them as desired or needed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm not saying you should buy this particular radio.
But it is the correct model/power level/band split to have the GMRS/Part 95 certification.

$80 bucks. If you really wanted to, you could take it to a local Kenwood shop and have them realign it to factory specs. All radios will wander a bit as they age. That might run you another $80 for bench time, but now you're at the $160 you'd spend on a CCR.

You'd still need to find a power cable, mounting bracket and KMC-35 microphone. You can get those on e-Bay, or find a radio that includes them.

If you wanted to do the remote head kit (KRK-10), here's a new in the box kit:
Don't buy them off e-Bay, they are ridiculously over priced on there.

If you wanted a brand-spankin'-new TK-8180, you can find those also. Expect to pay a few hundred bucks for a new one.

For the programming cable, you want a Kenwood KPG-46U or after market similar cable. There are some cheap after market ones on eBay. Just get one that you've research and confirmed that will work. Since I do this stuff for a living, I have Kenwood brand cables and don't have to wonder if they work, but they run around $115 each.

And then you need KPG-89D programming software. You can buy that from Kenwood, or you can sometimes find it under Internet rocks if you look in the dark and dingy corners. Not saying you should bootleg hardware, though.

srbecker58

So really stupid question, but again, I'm learning. The Kenwoods are good and last forever it seems and buying used saves money, but for being such old models, what replaced them? Like what are the equivalent to them in new models?

Also, I saw you said you sold your ham radio equipment and never looked back. Does that mean you are strictly GMRS now or you use this Kenwood for both GMRS and ham? And that is legal because it is part 95?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So really stupid question, but again, I'm learning. The Kenwoods are good and last forever it seems and buying used saves money, but for being such old models, what replaced them? Like what are the equivalent to them in new models?

As of February 2021 the TK-7180 and TK-8180 were still being sold new by Kenwood.
They were a popular radio, and there are a couple of reasons why they are starting to show up on the used market en-mass:
-Many users are migrating to digital radio systems. These are analog only, so they get replaced and sold on the used market.
-Many are switching to cellular phones or LTE based radios.

Since there are a lot of them hitting the used market, and they are analog only, the GMRS and ham users benefit.

But even better for you, these radios don't cover the ham bands, so for the hobbyist they are great to use a receivers or GMRS radios.

Eventually Kenwood will discontinue these. Likely they won't replace it with an analog only model. The replacement model for the portable version of the TK-7180/TK-8180 are a radio capable of NXDN or DMR digital. They sell a version with the digital not activated for those that only need analog.

Also, I saw you said you sold your ham radio equipment and never looked back. Does that mean you are strictly GMRS now or you use this Kenwood for both GMRS and ham? And that is legal because it is part 95?

I let my GMRS license expire a few years back. Since I was able to get everyone in the family to get their ham license, I didn't need it any more.

The Kenwood I'm using in my wife's truck is the VHF version and she uses it on amateur radio frequencies.

In my truck, I have a Motorola CDM-1550 VHF radio that I use on ham and for some of my work stuff.

Ham radios don't need FCC Type certification on the transmitters, so any of these radios are legal to use on amateur radio.

GMRS is different, though. GMRS requires a Part 95 approved radio. The specific model I linked to has the Part 95 certs that are required for GMRS. The higher powered version of that radio doesn't have that certification. The lower bandsplit version (400-470MHz) doesn't have part 95 in either the low or high power version.
So, if you want to toe the FCC rules for GMRS, you need to stick with the 30 watt version in the 450-520MHz band split.
Unfortunately that won't cover the ham radio bands.

If I was going to get active in GMRS again, I'd absolutely go with one of these.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’ve never had a commercial Kenwood 450+ radio that didn’t work in the ham band. Is the 8180 different?

No, they'll usually lock the VCO down pretty low into 440. I'd not guarantee it all the way down, though.
The programming software will throw an error, but it'll let you program it.

If someone was to modify the VCO to lock lower, then that would technically void the FCC type certification.

My comment, though, was aimed at the hams on e-Bay that usually steer away from a radio that does not specifically cover the ham bands. While many know that they can be used down there, most will go for the 400-470 model.
That would be a good choice, but, alas, that model doesn't have Part 95.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What are the different letters after 8180? I just need the 30 watt and I'm good?

This what I want?

Yes.
There are 3 different models of TK-8180:
TK-8180K
TK-8180HK
TK-8180HK2

The TK-8180K model is the 30 watt 450-520MHz model. It has the necessary FCC Part 95 approvals.
^^^^^ This is the one you want ^^^^^

The TK-8180HK model is 45 watts, 450-520MHz. It does NOT have Part 95

The TK-8180HK2 model is 45 watts, 400-470MHz. Again, no Part 95

The difference in range between a 30 watt radio and a 45 watt radio is minimal. Slightly more range with additional power, but not a big difference. Moot point since the 45 watt model doesn't have Part 95.

srbecker58

I am going to take your advice but modify it a little bit. I think part of my confusion/concern is all the radios I am accumulating by just buying whatever looks appealing. Sooo, I am going to consolidate. I am going to keep my Wouxun UV9G order, BUT return both my GM-30's since I am still inside the return policy. The reason for this, I will have a handheld then that is both a dual radio, for monitoring my local repeater as well as my sons radio channel for when we are camping and what not. This radio also offers a wider range of frequencies that I can scan to listen my local authorities which I do enjoy on occasion. It also gives me some form of water-resistance. It, although still a CCR, is a much better radio than the GM-30's. Therefore I will get rid of the GM-30's, replace them with the one single UV9G as my everyday handheld, and then start looking into a mobile option. Not sure which route I want to go there yet. I can definitely see myself using a mobile radio in my truck BUT I wonder how often I actually will. I want to make sure that investment is worthwhile. I do however feel its better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.

So, long story short, I am going t keep the better of the radios as a handheld, get rid of the cheap ones while I can still return them and then going to begin my search for a mobile unit. That sound like a sound plan of attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.