Quick Keys and Number tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Just received my 436HP. There's bit of a learning curve when it comes to the Quick Keys and Number Keys.

I have one Favorites list that contains everything I scan. I assigned it Quick Key number 1.

I have the Broward County Trunked system set up as a system with a Quick Key of 1. I have the Coconut Creek PD set up with a Department Quick Key of 50, and PD Dispatch with a number tag of 001. Yet when There is any traffic on the Coconut Creek Department, the display at the bottom of the scanner says, "Tag:01.01.001". If I try to directly access the CCPD dispatch talkgroup by pressing "chan", then "01.50.001", a message tells me that it isn't stored. Just what isn't stored? What is the data being displayed at the bottom of the screen? Why doesn't it recognize Quick Channel 50? What am I missing here?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As best as I can tell from the manual (starting at the bottom of page 57) the department quick key number doesn't apply when going to a Number Tag.

You might try pressing 1.1.1 Channel and see what happens. (That's Favorites List 1, System 1, Channel 1).

Just to note, Quick Keys and Number Tags are separate and distinct entries, as in you also have to set a number tag when programming Favorites Lists, Systems and Channels.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Just to note, Quick Keys and Number Tags are separate and distinct entries, as in you also have to set a number tag when programming Favorites Lists, Systems and Channels.

That is only partially correct. While QK and Number Tags are separate and distinct entries. You do not have to setup number tags when programming Favorites Lists, Systems and Channels. You only have to setup QK's.

SCPD

QRT
The way I have it set up here is with 3 FL. with 3 quick Keys as this is the most traveled.
QK 1 When I'm Home and just care about Local so I do not miss much.
QK 2 everything in the County when I;m mobile.
QK 3 Everything Mobile and Next County down.
Then while driving around I use the Zip code feature.
I have not gotten any future down in setting up dept. Keys as I just HOLD on System or Dept.
If I go outside my normal Travel Route I just set to scan whole Database with Zip-code, BECAUSE I"M NOT FAMILIAR WITH ALL THE DEPARTMENTS.in that area and so I just see what it picks up.

My thing is keep it simple at first and then when you know how things work break it down as much you need it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mesquite - I got in too big of a hurry and didn't add "if you want to use the Number Tag feature for direct channel access" at the end of my sentence.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have discovered that by pressing the FUNC button, the "50" Quick Key Shows up at the top of the display; however it still doesn't factor in direct selecting the department. Still clear as mud.

JoeyC

You can hold on a department by hitting DEPT when the department is active and then only that department will be scanned. You can then CHANNEL hold and scroll through all the entries in that department.

I have not found a way to hold on the department you scroll to in DEPT hold though. It seems to me that you should be able to go into DEPT hold, scroll to the department you want to hold on and when you arrive at it, it will hold, but it doesn't, and that to me makes NO sense.

EDIT: Yes I have, although convoluted. You have to CHANNEL hold first, then DEPT, then scroll, once the department is on the screen (and beeps) hit DEPT again, it will hold the department, then you can release the CHANNEL hold if desired.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Tap DEPT then wait 2 seconds for the department to be on hold. Then, tap DEPT and scroll through the departments while the department in the display is highlighted. When the highlight turns off, the scanner will be holding on the department you scrolled to.

You do not need to Channel hold first, if you do that.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Tap DEPT then wait 2 seconds for the department to be on hold. Then, tap DEPT and scroll through the departments while the department in the display is highlighted. When the highlight turns off, the scanner will be holding on the department you scrolled to.

You do not need to Channel hold first, if you do that.

Another Quick Key question: I have a conventional system with a Quick Key of 3. Within this system is a Department with a Quick Key of 59. How do I go directly to this Department using the "Quick Key Navigation" screen? Nothing I have tried works.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To go directly to a (SYSTEM/DEPARTMENT/CHANNEL) you would use number tags, not quick keys. Quick keys quickly turn on/off things for scanning. Number tags let you quickly jump to things.

JoeyC

As has already been stated, you cannot access DEPTs with quick keys. Use the methods stated above to narrow down to scanning a single department.

Status
Not open for further replies.