R7000 Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvdxer

Most of us know the IC-R7000's scanning abilities are rather limited - except if you have a computer controlling it. I purchased a USB to CI-V connector a bit ago, and am trying to find a control program that supports it, but all seem to demand an RS-232 port. I do indeed have RS-232 on my system, but I would like to use the USB-CIV if possible. Could somebody give me a hand here? Does the USB to CIV emulate a parallel port?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nope the address I think all ties back to a COM serial port, not a parallel port. Being so old, you're probably much better off using the 232 rather than the USB - not saying that it wouldn't work, mind you, but I'd be willing to bet there'd be far less hassles in getting the PC and 7000 to talk to one another with the old 232 protocols.

We have a few packages that work with the 7000 on our R7000 wiki page - however, you should know that this is a receiver with a pokey scanning ability, not a scanner. And that's true even with a PC controlling it. RadioMax supposedly does a good job of speeding it up somewhat, but it will never compare to a BC780 in scanning speed. It just isn't built for it.

73s Mike

The R7000 wiki can be found here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/IC-R7000

Last edited:

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
Usually (always, as far as I know) these USB devices actually emulate a serial port.
I would look in the Windows control panel under "System" then "Hardware" then "Device manager". Expand the tab under "Ports" and you should see the USB interface and the COM port that is assigned to it.
Then you can use any of the programs that contol the R7000.

Status
Not open for further replies.