R8500 Blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

pittsville

I bought an R8500 years ago and it was sold as unblocked. I asked the seller if it was modified or if it was made as an unblocked radio. He said it was sent from the factory as an unblocked model.

I used it for a long time and for some reason, it is now blocked but it can tune the blocked frequencies if I use the software control program. Seems sort of strange to me. I think I looked at the box and it indicated that the radio was an open model. I am just posting this for information. I don't think there is a solution. I have tried the reset procedure.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What are you hoping to listen to? As far as I know there is no analog radio activity on those frequencies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Not sure where you (or the seller for that matter) live(d), but did you, or to your knowledge the seller, ever send it back to Icom for a repair? I have heard of situations with various scanners/receivers where an unblocked model being used for consumer level purchases in the US that during a repair the company may have removed the ability for receiving cellular frequencies, or simply put "blocked" it. While it's absolutely ludicrous at this point it is still a law in the US that they'll be blocked. Just curious.

You say the software can "tune" the blocked frequencies...but are you actually hearing transmissions on them? What software?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'd say it has something to do with your thread from Feb 2010.

pittsville

I know there is nothing there to listen to. I just thought it was odd that it happened. The software I refer to is the ICOM program made for the R8500. I have never sent the radio to Icom or anyone else for repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.