RACOM IA system question

Status
Not open for further replies.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Hello, everyone!

I have a question about an EDACS system I ran across last week, but haven't been able to determine the ownership.

The "CTL-01" (LCN 01) frequency is: 861.9125

There are active TGs on the system, but not many.

My RS Pro97 indicates a SID of "11". Sitting near the intersection of HW2 and I29, east of Nebraska City, NE, I could remove the antenna from my Pro97 and still get a 87% to 95% signal, so I have to assume that the tower is located near that location.

Does anyone know if this is a part of the RACOM system? Licenses in the FCC database appear to be somewhat "strange".

Thanks!

Real Geo

mws72

Premium Subscriber
System 11?

Could be, if this is part of RACOM System it could be a system 11, Though they could have other LCNs too.

Try putting in for LCN 1-5 as 861-865.9125 and see if you get any traffic on the other LCNs.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Good morning, Michael!

Thanks for the reply. I had neglected to mention in my original post that I had programmed the 5 LCNs, as you suggested and do receive traffic on the system, although it's not much.

A bit more listening could narrow down the possibilities.

Looking at the RACOM information on RR though, I don't see any RACOM systems that would be close enough to the location I referred to in order to give me a 90% signal without the rubber duck antenna on my Pro97.

To have that kind of signal w/o an antenna attached means that I had to be within 5 miles of the tower.

Are all of the RACOM systems under the same call sign in the FCC database?

Thanks, again, and 73's de KC0HYI, George B.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Here's additional information.

Of all of the "xx11" (.9125) RACOM systems listed for Iowa, I don't see any that are close to the area of southwest Iowa near I29 and HW2.

This is why I am wondering if it's a different system all together!

I'll listen for more talkgroups and report when I know more.

W0JJK

This is the only non Nextel license on that freq in Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas.

Here is callsign and licensee.

WNIE772
Communications Network, Inc.

It is in Harlan, IA though but maybe possible, Nextel has hidden a trunking system. I have seen this in Chase County but it is now turned off.

KC0LOD

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Howdy, KC0LOD!

Thanks for the suggestion - yeah, that Harlan transmitter site is roughly 72 miles, as the crow flies, from my monitoring location, so I'd have to say that one is out.

The next time I'm in the area, I'll travel to each of the tower sites, write down the Antenna Structure Registration (ASR) numbers, look them up in the FCC's database, and see if I can make a determination that way!

When I know more, I'll pass it along!

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Hello, KC0LOD.

Tonight, I have been listeing to my "mystery" EDACS system and a very common talkgroup on the system is "02-111".

Conversations on this TG seem to be field personnel communicating with "Raytown" and "Raytown Base".

I believe I heard mention of "Gas meter" and "Carter Lake", which seem to indicate a utility/service company operating in the Council Bluffs area.

Raytown, to me, indicates Raytown, MO, which is near Kansas City.

Does this evoke any additional ideas?

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Mystery SOLVED

Good afternoon, everyone!

After some extended research, I have solved the mystery of the "phantom" EDACS system in Southwest Iowa.

http://www.racom.net/images/RACOM Sites.jpg

This site gives a detailed map of the RACOM EDACS systems over their 6-state coverage region.

The site I am hearing is apparently referred to as "Thurman", which is approximately 9 miles northeast of my previously-reported monitoring location.

I am sure that the site is probably built upon the tall river bluffs just to the east of Thurman, which would make it very strong at my monitoring point.

According to the RACOM map, it looks like some additional roadtrips are in order to add more sites to the RR database!

Have a GREAT afternoon, everyone!

N0ZJT

Database Admin
The Thurman site has been added to the database. Let me know what other sites you find down in that area.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Howdy, "egrams"!

Thanks for adding the Thurman site - today's "EDACS Roadtrip" has netted several additional sites from the RACOM system map.

Shall I submit those via the "Submit info" link?

BTW - How do you determine the first two digits of the System ID? For example, the Thurman site is "1411", but how did you determine the "14" part? My BCD396T tells me the "11" part, but I don't know how you determine the first two digits!

Thanks

N0ZJT

Database Admin
Yes please submit them using the submit changes button.
All I need is the system id. The database administrators will figure out the beginning two numbers. Those frist two numbers are there to keep the systems separate since RACOM reuses system id's.

Pro92

Racom Question?

realgeo said:
Hello, KC0LOD.

Tonight, I have been listeing to my "mystery" EDACS system and a very common talkgroup on the system is "02-111".

Conversations on this TG seem to be field personnel communicating with "Raytown" and "Raytown Base".

I believe I heard mention of "Gas meter" and "Carter Lake", which seem to indicate a utility/service company operating in the Council Bluffs area.

Raytown, to me, indicates Raytown, MO, which is near Kansas City.

Does this evoke any additional ideas?
I know in Norfolk System the gas companies Aqulia & Norfolk gas company is correct, but as far a 2111 & 01 is no good. & 516 is not correct for PD according to my neighbor who works for the Department. TG515 is good i been listing to the ever since i got my PRO-92 back in the early '90s.
Does anyone know when the Fire-Rescue will join Norfolk's system?
Thanks!
Rob.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Pro92 said:
Does anyone know when the Fire-Rescue will join Norfolk's system?
Thanks!
Rob.

Most likely not for a long time if ever. They're communications system works and it's paid for, so there will not be a huge push to implement them into the Norfolk system.

Status
Not open for further replies.