Radio recommendations for SDPD and RCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I was down in San Diego RCS North System and was monitoring with a BCD996P2 with the new latest firmware updated and did not have any trouble with LSM Simulcast issues. Clear as a whistle

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Current RCS is not LSM, but NextGen will be. Try the SD City 700MHz system, it is LSM Phase I

Paul

allend

Premium Subscriber
I will be in downtown San Diego tomorrow and will try the 700mhz system and see how it works. I will listen to the happy go luck sanitation department. I know my SDS-200 works pretty good.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The SD City 700 chokes my 996XT's, and even chokes my TRX. WS1098, no issues :)

Paul

SDBud

I appreciate the advice. Not interested in a handheld, but will start looking for the first two models you mentioned. Will I be missing out on anything in this area by not getting the latest and greatest SDS200? It's pretty expensive, and if a $400 scanner will give me the same local choices, that's just fine. I didn't realize that FreeScan was still under development - thanks for the mention.

The 200 does LOTS of stuff other radios don't, but nothing you need for the City or RCS. You WILL NEED a P2 capable radio for the upgraded RCS starting (likely) in Sept. this year, thus the 996P2, or any newer model from Uniden, or several of the GRE/Whistler models.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The City 700 and NextGen are LSM systems, so if you plan to be monitoring while mobile, or end up being in a LSM "dead zone", you may need an SDS. As I have said before, my 996XT's simply cannot lock the control channel in Webster Mt Hope area AT ALL, but at my home, they receive about the same decode quality as the current RCS. My TRX's decode with extreme errors on the 700 system, but my old WS1098 receives the 700 and NextGen just fine...stationary location.

Of note, on my SDS200, I am seeing around -80 to -90dbm signal strength on the city 700 system, receiving from the base of Cowles, with actual line of sight visual to the towers out my window. The SD 800 system, the current RCS, and the NextGen South sites, all clock in at -50dbm, so quite a difference in signal strength. Makes me wonder if there is even a 700 simulcast transmitter on Cowles, or if I am receiving a Soledad simulcast signal instead.

Paul

mike619

I am in El Cajon and where I am I get the San Diego 700 system decoding just fine and the RCS digital talkgroups and the NRSW/DOD 380 trunked MT Soledad site come in well also and I am using a BCD396XT so since that decodes it well would a BCD325P2 as well?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
They will be doing some coverage testing the coming week on the NextGen...if you get reliable 396XT decode on the Phase I testing then you should be good to go with a 352.

Paul

mike619

They will be doing some coverage testing the coming week on the NextGen...if you get reliable 396XT decode on the Phase I testing then you should be good to go with a 352.

Paul
Thanks I like the 325 due to the fact I am used to quick keys and the freescan and whatnot thanks for the help.

billr9

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to set up my BCD396XT for the San Diego 700 system. I'm getting strong signal strengths for the ID scans/Search scans as well as during the reception of conversations. However the conversations are clipped/distorted. I'm located in Point Loma at the top of a hill. Anyone have a fix that has worked with their BCD396XT?

Thanks!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to set up my BCD396XT for the San Diego 700 system. I'm getting strong signal strengths for the ID scans/Search scans as well as during the reception of conversations. However the conversations are clipped/distorted. I'm located in Point Loma at the top of a hill. Anyone have a fix that has worked with their BCD396XT?

Thanks!

You can try messing with the P25 decode setting, or maybe the ATT, but the XT's really don't decode well on the 700 system. Strong signal clipping and distortion is a clear sign of LSM.

Paul

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I have that distinctive feeling there are going to be lots of disappointed folks when the new system kicks in. The dongle bit won't cut it-sorry the cheapest way usually is not the best. One has to admit this hobby is not cheap. You might swing it with an HP2 better than the others(996P2). With a 536 just maybe. Then again we won't really know as Anderegg has said.

billr9

Premium Subscriber
I have that distinctive feeling there are going to be lots of disappointed folks when the new system kicks in. The dongle bit won't cut it-sorry the cheapest way usually is not the best. One has to admit this hobby is not cheap. You might swing it with an HP2 better than the others(996P2). With a 536 just maybe. Then again we won't really know as Anderegg has said.

I tested the Uniden BCD325P2 thinking a newer scanner would work better. Still have issues with clipped/distorted conversations. Anyone using the SDS100?

W6KRU

I've been using an SDS100 for about a month. It works well on RCS at home and mobile. It is awesome on Pendleton's P2 system which was terrible on my other scanners. City of SD 700 system sounds good even in Oside? I'm going to try it on SDs 800 system tomorrow while I'm in Mission bay area. I'm betting it will sound great as even my other scanners worked well on SD 800.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The 352P2 is based on the 996P2 which was based on the 996XT which was based on the 996T...back in 2005...so while the physical design is new, the digital decoding is pretty aged. The SDS100 and 200 handle digital ultra clean and clear. My SDS200 is not able to receive the RCS North, cannot lock the CC, even though my old Whistler WS1065's and WS1098's can, as well as an old 996XT I have laying around. Basically, the SDS's have issues with range and sensitivity...only a problem if your listening to more distant systems/sites.

Paul

I tested the Uniden BCD325P2 thinking a newer scanner would work better. Still have issues with clipped/distorted conversations. Anyone using the SDS100?

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Just had a bad experience. At least reception-wise. My SDS200 is deaf on the south side CC's however my 996XT received no prob. Like WTF. No luck changing filter settings either.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Just had a bad experience. At least reception-wise. My SDS200 is deaf on the south side CC's however my 996XT received no prob. Like WTF. No luck changing filter settings either.

Yeah, really...I bought mine for testing and now need to sell it, along with my useless (for LSM) new TRX-2 text unit.

Paul

mike619

Any plans on testing out a BCD325P2? it seems like there really isn't a winner yet unless SDS100 maybe at the moment also in my experiences the scanners do well in different areas of the county and parts of cities if not in a dead spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.