Radio Shack Pro-164 Firmware

jgriffter

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I recently picked up an RS Pro-164 scanner and have been playing with it. I did notice that the firmware is V1.02 which is the oldest version according to the RR wiki. I did a pretty extensive search for newer firmware with no results - not too surprising given the age of the radio. Does anyone have a later firmware version for the Pro-164 that they would share with me? The later ones (1.10 for example) would be great since it would address some of the rebanding but any version would be great.

My radio is a Boot 1.0 version.

I know there are limitations with this radio (my main scanner is the SDS100) but i was hoping to use the Pro-164 for some analogue monitoring. Appreciate anyone that might be able to help with firmware.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is version 1.10. Check to use the right one. There are versions for Boot 1.00 and Boot 1.01

Verifying the firmware version Pro-164 Screen​

You can verify the version of firmware currently active in the Pro-164 by pressing the 3 key during the “Welcome” screen.

Firmware upgrades can be installed by downloading and running an upgrade programs.

Notes: Turn the scanner off, Press and Hold the PGM button while turning the scanner on.

You should see a screen with the top line saying either:

Boot Ver:F1.00 or Boot Ver:F1.01

For F1.00, use the 20-163_164_v106_BOOT100.EXE File
For F1.01, use the 20-163_164_v106_BOOT101.EXE File

Radio Shack Pro-164 PWR ON & Press PRG Key mode

Attachments

• PRO-163_164_v1.10.zip
    608.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

jgriffter

Premium Subscriber
Tvenger

Thank you! I will give this a try. I had found a few GRE firmware files but read that they were not compatible with the RS models. I really appreciate it!

jgriffter

Premium Subscriber
Will do. I bought a cable for the update but it does not work - scanner does not recognize it (com ports are set correctly). Old RS firmware documentation notes a 20-047 cable. The one I bought was listed as a 20-546 cable clone (with adapter). Computer sees it as a Prolific USB to serial but no luck with the scanner. Are there two cables for this scanner - one for firmware and a different one for programming?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Download and install ARC500 for the free trial period and go to the Scanner tab. There is a USB cable driver installer which will probably work with your cable. You don't need the mono adapter for the PRO-164.