Radio shack pro 668 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasby

Does anybody remember a few years ago, when GRE would release PSR-500/600 updates and the same update for the PRO-106/197 (same radio) wouldn't come out until months later?

That happened because GRE was contractually prohibited from releasing updates for RadioShack-branded radios unless those updates had been approved by RadioShack.

I'd give odds that the same situation exists today with the Whistler-produced, RadioShack-branded scanners.

Folks, this is called a clue.

DJ11DLN

No whistlers for me guess i will hand uniden more business!!! Wendy whistle if you look at this forum take note..
Just FYI, Radio Shack has contracted with Uniden in the past to build scanners and other products under the RS brand. I'm listening to the local Skywarn group on one of them right now, a Pro-2023. And to make this Whistler's fault, as has been noted elsewhere, is just wrong. RS is the one who needs to make it happen. Yes, Whistler built the radios for RS, under contract, and yes, the updates would originate with Whistler...but Whistler doesn't do stuff for free, no more than Uniden does. What makes you think that Whistler is responsible for radios contract-built for RS anyway? If Uniden had built these radios and RS wasn't paying for certain updates or there was no provision for such in the contract, what makes you think that Uniden would step up and hand out the updates for a radio they built but which isn't technically one of their products anyway?:roll:

NC1

...but Whistler doesn't do stuff for free

Not to nit-pick, but

How much did Wendy get paid for the update on the Whistler units?
That's right, no additional cost to the owners and they got it for free, or did I miss something and everyone who purchased one cut a check for the update?

I know Whistler made the extra $$ by selling them under their own brand at retail, but they also made money on the models that were sold through RS. They did not make the deal with RS for a big fat $0 to sit on their profit statement.

They don't want to do it, and my prediction is it is going to hurt them in the end.

InlandAZ

Not to nit-pick, but

How much did Wendy get paid for the update on the Whistler units?
That's right, no additional cost to the owners and they got it for free, or did I miss something and everyone who purchased one cut a check for the update?

I know Whistler made the extra $$ by selling them under their own brand at retail, but they also made money on the models that were sold through RS. They did not make the deal with RS for a big fat $0 to sit on their profit statement.

They don't want to do it, and my prediction is it is going to hurt them in the end.

I tend to agree with you, but only time will tell. I've been a dedicated GRE (design) guy for years because I was able to get a district manager out of a meeting to explain an issue I had with one of their scanners. When he asked what I thought he should do, I stated "buy it back, if you stand by them" followed by "I'm not saying I won't ever purchase another scanner (and boy was that ever the truth) - He agreed, and took the scanner back (over 2 years old) for a full refund.

If the units are that similar, it can't be that much work to support them.

Point is: Customer service pays off in the long run, don't anger your existing consumer base.

dkf435

How many people are being told that the PRO668 is just like the Whistler model, they have similar pricing and features. Now months later when updates come out you get told you will not be getting one?? Throw both Whistler and Radio Shack under the bus and let them figure out how to get customers back, because this one just pulled them bothg out of the selection for the next round of purchasing. Until now my mix of radios is slightly weighted on the GRE side(Whistler has yet to come out with a new design) will be swinging over to Uniden for more and maybe get the AOR.

David

trp2525

Radio Shack Corporate working on PRO-668 DMR upgrade

I recently reached out directly to the Radio Shack Corporate/Executive team to make sure they were aware of the lack of the DMR upgrade for our beloved PRO-668 scanners. In my communication I referred to the various postings here at RR where PRO-668 owners were disappointed that they have not received the DMR upgrade while their "brother" Whistler WS1080 has. I also stressed that not delivering the upgrade could drive some future customers away from Radio Shack when considering their future scanner and/or scanner accessories purchase.

To my surprise I received an email reply directly from the CEO of Radio Shack. He thanked me for contacting him and his executive team and stated in his reply that "We learned about this issue and we know we need to have it addressed." He further stated that they are "working with Whistler to resolve this problem."

I firmly believe that Radio Shack is committed to provide the DMR upgrade for their PRO-668 scanner owners. The fact that the CEO replied back to me personally from his iPhone shows me that they are taking this matter seriously and are taking the necessary steps to resolve it. Of course the time factor for a resolution is unknown at this time.

FWIW I get the impression from the email that I received that the executive team is doing their very best under their current financial situation to bring Radio Shack back from their bankruptcy. At the very least I am quite impressed with the response that I received to my email inquiry. At this time I'm willing to cut them some slack and see what develops.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Like DonS stated the RS brand updates have always lagged behind GRE/WHISTLER and it has to go through RS per the contracts in the past and that should be not different now. Radio Shack is selling new PRO668's that have been built after the restructure of SPRINT/RADIO SHACK and that makes this in the best interest of RADIO SHACK to fix this problem.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I really don't get how someone buys a radio which as A, B, C features on it and is supposed to get updates as needed to work on those features yet now is complaining up one side and down the other because they are not getting updates to something they didn't purchase.

Sorry but I just don't get it. It was designed and sold to do certain things and if you have brain one you knew what those things were before purchasing it. You should expect updates to further facilitate those things if necessary but anything beyond is a bonus, an uncalled for bonus at that.

Some purchased it new but many purchased it at rock bottom prices not long ago and knew or should have known that support was likely gone for those radios. It was said here a million and one times as an example. RS was going out of business and no support would be forthcoming for their scanners. That there has been some has been a nice gift and while I hope that continues I bought mine thinking no support would be there at all.

DMR is a nice addition and if an update to the 668 comes that is great but no one in their right mind should expect it. Yet seeing so many doing so is beyond belief.

The radio works great for what it was supposed to be, be thankful for that and move on. Other models have DMR and I for one am going to purchase a TRX unit for the DMR and already have it on my 436.

I'm certainly not going to look at Whistler less favorably for not upgrading a scanner that is not theirs and was never supposed to do DMR which I knew when I bought it.

By some people's definition apparently I should demand Whistler upgrade my RS 2020 too

minasha

Premium Subscriber
IMHO:
Just look at the pro-651 it took quite some time for radio shack to release the firmware update but they did release it, so maybe the same will be for the DMR upgrade.

DJ11DLN

I really don't get how someone buys a radio which as A, B, C features on it and is supposed to get updates as needed to work on those features yet now is complaining up one side and down the other because they are not getting updates to something they didn't purchase.

Sorry but I just don't get it. It was designed and sold to do certain things and if you have brain one you knew what those things were before purchasing it. You should expect updates to further facilitate those things if necessary but anything beyond is a bonus, an uncalled for bonus at that.

Some purchased it new but many purchased it at rock bottom prices not long ago and knew or should have known that support was likely gone for those radios. It was said here a million and one times as an example. RS was going out of business and no support would be forthcoming for their scanners. That there has been some has been a nice gift and while I hope that continues I bought mine thinking no support would be there at all.

DMR is a nice addition and if an update to the 668 comes that is great but no one in their right mind should expect it. Yet seeing so many doing so is beyond belief.

The radio works great for what it was supposed to be, be thankful for that and move on. Other models have DMR and I for one am going to purchase a TRX unit for the DMR and already have it on my 436.

I'm certainly not going to look at Whistler less favorably for not upgrading a scanner that is not theirs and was never supposed to do DMR which I knew when I bought it.

By some people's definition apparently I should demand Whistler upgrade my RS 2020 too
It sure is nice to see that someone else here understands the big picture. Too bad so many others are stuck in "gimme-gimme" mode.:roll:

dkf435

Between this issue and the 30 day warranty stamped on the receipts, why would anybody buy a thing from Radio Shack?

Next time I see someone looking at the scanners at Radio Shack I guess I should tell them not to spend the money at Radio Shack as the same amount of money will buy the Whistler version that has support for the new firmware.

Would like to know how much Whistler is making from Radio Shack for the scanners with no support that the sales people at Radio Shack say that is like the Whistler one with just the Radio Shack name on it.

David

Last edited:

cobraDIHO

Welcome to the current generation. :)

Ah, the tried and true method of finger-pointing at the "current generation" for their perceived entitlement mentality. That's what your forefathers said about your generation (and their forefathers, and their forefathers... etc.). You get the idea. ;)

But to get back on topic, I'm betting that RS will put out the update in the next several months as multiple, trustworthy sources are indicating they will.

I think Whistler is mad I Radio Shack for filing bankruptcy because they did not paid for something and they are afraid the new company will not pay them for the firmware upgrades. I work as an Electronic Technician and have worked in engineering environments understand how easy it would be for whistler the manufacturer to make the small changes that would take for the WS1080 firmware to make it work with the PRO 668 Scanner. I noticed that Ham Radio Outlet is selling the WS1080 for the same price Radio Shack is selling PRO 668 for. It is my opinion that Whistler is trying to take Radio Shack business away from them. I could be wrong, but that is the way I see it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Is that why Whistler is still building Radio Shack scanners for Radio Shack to sell today?
They sold all the PRO668's before Sprint Bought Radio Shack Now Radio Shack is selling new PRO668's.
Firmware wase released for the PRO651 and PRO563 scanners AFTER THE SALE TO SPRINT.

Please the PRO 668 firmware should have been out by now. The last update was a year ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.