Radio Shack Pro2096 receives analog but no Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

That never crossed my mind. but one would think if that was indeed the fact it would make all RX obsolete (Wouldn't RX anything) but I'll look into that, I've tried everything else LOL!

THANKS!

No - some frequencies may be capacitively coupled through the gap (if there is one). That's one reason I'm asking about the analog frequencies that work.

illinois_skywarn_spotter

Feed Provider
No - some frequencies may be capacitively coupled through the gap (if there is one). That's one reason I'm asking about the analog frequencies that work.

Only Analog in the 800MHz spectrum comes from the local Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (Motorola) System which is Analog & Digital capable and I hear them with no problem.

The other Analog is from the conventional VHF frequencies 150ish range (137-174 band) and some of them comes from stations 20 miles away and at times 30 miles away from here and hear them well also. when the band is open even farther.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Marshall-T336, CC,s 853.3375, 853.9125......Martinsville-T354, CC,s 851.850, 852.400.....Cant find Paris.....No CC heard on these , no hear anything.....

Voyager

OK, so you are hearing some 800 MHz analog, but not hearing 800 MHz digital. Only explanation I can think of is that the analog is stronger. Either that, or the TUNE test frequency you tried was not active or changed frequency.

Might be worth it to test another 800 MHz P25 signal with the TUNE test, as if the receiver is not picking up digital, it should not be picking up analog either.

illinois_skywarn_spotter

Feed Provider
Marshall-T336, CC,s 853.3375, 853.9125......Martinsville-T354, CC,s 851.850, 852.400.....Cant find Paris.....No CC heard on these , no hear anything.....

2 (2) 008 (8) Paris Edgar 852.32500c 853.37500a 853.95000a

What do ya mean ".No CC heard on these , no hear anything"? are you trying to RX them? If so are you close enough to RX the? or are you asking me?

illinois_skywarn_spotter

Feed Provider
OK, so you are hearing some 800 MHz analog, but not hearing 800 MHz digital. Only explanation I can think of is that the analog is stronger. Either that, or the TUNE test frequency you tried was not active or changed frequency.

Might be worth it to test another 800 MHz P25 signal with the TUNE test, as if the receiver is not picking up digital, it should not be picking up analog either.

Yes to 800 MHz Analog
No, I am hearing 800 Digital from the local towers here in my county.

Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (Motorola) Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink
Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (P-25) Project 25 Phase I

Just not the Starcom21 system 15 miles West of me. 2 sites in Clark Co IL. and one in Edgar Co. IL.

Voyager

Then it is either a sensitivity issue, an antenna connector issue, or you simply are out of range of the Starcom21 tower.

BUT, if another scanner heard it and yours does not, that eliminates the last possibility.

We are getting the cause narrowed down, though.

illinois_skywarn_spotter

Feed Provider
Well i opened up the radio. The antenna connector seemed to be tight (Does not rule out a bad solder joint) My soldering station is down at the moment. I did see some kind of a adjustment pod in the area of the antenna jack. Could that be an adjustment for the RX sensitivity?? over on the other side of the antenna jack I seen a VR1, 2 & 3 i know thats used for aligning frequencies. So whats the pod by the antenna jack?

illinois_skywarn_spotter

Feed Provider
Well came to the conclusion my scanner is broke ( LOL! ) A friend of mine that works at Commercial Radio Inc. here in town is gonna check it out tomorrow and repair it and also gonna check my programing and the rebanding settings for me and correct it if needed. SOOOOOO hopefully i'll be able to stop pulling my hair out cause its starting to get tender up there, HA HA HA!! Will update when the radio gets back home. AGAIN THX for all the help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just a point here - rebanding changes can't be applied on the 96 or 2096 via the keyboard. You must use either ARC96 or Win96 to apply the necessary changes. Both procedures are documented in the wiki

Mike

Voyager

Actually, the P25 system CAN be applied via the keyboard since it only involves frequency changes. The Motorola rebanding is what requires the SW in 99% of the cases. (the other 1% are flukes that don't require the new tables).

illinois_skywarn_spotter

Feed Provider
OK, Freshly back from the shop. Radio checked out fine with no problems whatsoever. Its on frequency the band plan ( rebinning ) is good to go. He connected it to the antenna there and was RXing Digital sites 40 miles away off of my scanner. He gave me advice and I followed them. Which was use different coax, Was using RG-8 now using RG6 also was told to get a signal amp. A friend of mine gave me his. the RX has improved BUT still no Starcom21. Sooooooo I think the antenna needs to go higher. I asked him why my friends scanner was able to RX it and he said my friends scanner probably has a hotter RX in his radio. As soon as I get a bigger pole or tower its going up higher.

VASCAR2

Thanks a lot for the update, good to hear it is not your radio. I know from personal experience the higher frequencies have much more signal strength loss through the cable than the VHF Hi/Lo. From working patrol using the SC21 system there were plenty of coverage issues even using a 25 Watt Motorola mobile. Motorola claims 95% coverage but they did a lot of testing in Southern Illinois when the foliage was not at it's peak. A lot of the 5% of the state where there was no coverage was not out in the middle of some bean field either. I've also seen where I've been in fringe signal areas where one radio will receive dispatch loud and clear and another radio dispatch will not even break the squelch.

Voyager

I know from personal experience the higher frequencies have much more signal strength loss through the cable than the VHF Hi/Lo.

That's a fact of physics. The higher the frequency, the greater the loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.