• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radioddity Radioddity DB25 D - issues.

K6MBZ

My experience is that when the radio powers OFF suddenly. it is due to insufficient current/power from your supply. Check that the 12 volt supply can truly deliver the "surge current" in the beginning instant of transmitting. In my Ford F250, some of the 12 volt (cigarette lighter) adapters can deliver this needed burst of current and the radio works great, while others are seemingly "current limited" and shut the radio down just as you have described. I hope this helps... The reason that UHF might be working is that your radio might very well be set to lo pwer for those channels or that the radio simply goes to a lower "hi power" setting on UHF as this is quite common.
You are right on the money on all points. My power supply was the issue. It said it was rated for 12 amps but it clearly wasn’t delivering. I changed to an Alinco DM-30T and the radio transmits great now on all bands and power levels. Thanks for your help!

w7bas

I have an odd DB-25D issue. I have setup several zones and put the channels from each zone into scan lists. The scan starts and then randomly stops. Sometimes its 10 sec after it starts, other times as much a several minutes. I can't figure out why. I have tried TO, CO and Search scan modes, all with the same results. I have auto analog aprs configured and by chance I disconnected the GPS antenna (ie. stopping auto aprs gps location reporting) and it seems to have resolved the scan stopping issue. Any ideas if an aprs setting may affect scanning? Any help appreciated. Firmware is updated to the latest version, and the radio works great otherwise. Very happy with it so far.

Thanks,

Bruce W7BAS

N4RTD

Attention all who have been complaining about the code plug editor of the DB-25-D check out Codeplug Editor by David MM7DBT this guy has come to the rescue with a good solid editor, I have used it and it was a great improvement.
I agree, it works great. I had been using the RT73 codeplug editor of his prior to this. Are you using the most recent firmware that was released?

73 de Russ N4RTD

Mofoya

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere... I found a firmware bug that I can easily recreate and renders a channel useless with a single button press!

In my example, I have an analog repeater channel programmed with CTCSS tone enabled on both Tx and Rx. The tone is 103.5. If you press the Tone select button (the one immediately right of the Volume button) and do nothing else, your Tx and Rx tone will now be 62.5!

Ok, so I can just not press the Tone select button... Except that it's right by the volume button that you for some reason have to push to change the volume! My radio is dash-mounted, so seeing the buttons on top isn't happening. I have to feel for the far right button and move 2 to the left to find the volume button. I can change channels on the Mic anyway; the knob should default to volume!

Anyway, the CTCSS tone changing to 62.5 is more than a poor design choice. That's a real problem that should be addressed.

jwcrabtree

I have not had the issue reported by Mofoya but another one I reported deals with the RX tones. If you assign one to an analog frequency and speak for more than 15 seconds, the radio does not have audio upon release of the PTT for a period of time. The length of transmission seems to play into this (speak 20 seconds, it takes about 5 seconds before audio is heard even with the receive light lit green. Speak 1 minute, no audio for 30+ seconds and 2 minutes, wait 45 seconds or more). Remove the RX tone and the issue goes away. I confirmed this issue is across all 3 versions (Radioddity, Kydera and Retevis) on the previous or current firmware version and Radioddity has confirmed it as well. They alerted the manufacturer (Kydera) but with China in lockdown, who knows how long it will take to get fixed.
The only other issue I have is if I am connected to a hotspot and select a channel and don't transmit for a bit, when I try to I get No Contact and have to select the contact again so I can transmit. Not easy to do when driving...
Kudos to David (MM7DBT) for his CPS software-leaps and bounds above the factory CPS!! My only wishes are more detailed info on creating a code plug with it like importing format for the file and the ability to have more than 50 channels in a zone. I would like to create a CP for my entire state but we have close to 1000 repeaters and breaking them down into more than 6 zones is difficult.
Better yet, someone get Open GD77 ported to this thing-talk about a fantastic radio!!!

rafletch007

I have gotten analog voice to work and it is better than expected. I have gotten digital programmed in but can’t seem to hear any audio. I also can’t seem to get the APRS set right. I parked in a buddy’s driveway so my radio could be sure to be close to an igate. Nothing shows up on aprs.fi.

I started speaking with Michael from radioddity so I am optimistic he can help me but I thought I would throw this out here as well.

I don’t see a lot of concerns from folks with the APRS system. Is that working well for others?

I know my menu has made a few jumps that were unexpected but still cataloging those. I’ll post those and submit to radioddity when I get them cataloged and can give proper descriptions. Thanks to anyone who has info on my troubles with this radio. Very hopeful for it as it’s a great small profile with a lot of features fir the price.
I just joined this group and saw your post about no DMR audio. I recently experienced the same thing with my recently purchased DB25-D and discovered that, unlike ANY of my other DMR radios, the DB25-D requires a Receive Group List be assigned to the channel definition and that list MUST contain the desired TG in addition to having it specified under "Contact" in the channel definition. Very bizarre, but if you do that, you'll get your audio.

Alex11951

This thread is intended as a meeting point for those having issues with the new (From Radioddity) DB25-D DMR ultra compact mobile radio.

Unit appear to be a slightly updated Retevis RT-73 - apparently without the hardware receive/transmit interrupt issues reported on the RT73.

I have found the hardware to work perfectly after a week of use in my car. Only major hardware complaint is the need to press a 'Volume' button before turning the dial to adjust volume. Close to impossible to do safely while driving.

Also, small size and placement of dial on the left side of the unit make your hand cover the display while turning the dial - at least when using the right hand in a left side drivers vehicle.

Programming software has a serious bug, occasionally deleting/moving channels around - probably when you add a new zone. Do back-up the channels, zones, groups to a separate file (by hitting save after editing) - before you start working on another item - like switching from channels to zones.

Once learned, it worked fine, had never had any software crashes or connection issues to radio.

Range is excellent, can connect to repeaters not in line of sight and 20 km+ away - while parked in a city with lots of buildings between my vehicle and the repeater.

Audio is fine, especially on DMR and strong analog signals.

FM radio is useful, but inability to store channels is an annoyance.

Several people report crashes and lack of radio connection between software and radio, hope we can help each other resolve this.

new post!!!!!
Every time i attach the dongle to the Radio and try to read it. it says failed to read. The dongle is working but will not read the Radio? Anyone else have this problem??

Engine79-7

Feed Provider
new post!!!!!
Every time i attach the dongle to the Radio and try to read it. it says failed to read. The dongle is working but will not read the Radio? Anyone else have this problem??
I did. Order a new cable. I used my Kenwood cable and it worked.

wb2bwu

I hear that new firmware is available for this radio from Raddiodity. Has anyone tried the new firmware and CPS?

Daps

I hear that new firmware is available for this radio from Raddiodity. Has anyone tried the new firmware and CPS?
I have updated and I can't really tell any difference in the CPS, I haven't tested to see if they fixed it from just changing frequencies and stuff. The lack of being able to change the channel sequence is a pain.

The Firmware did add the ability to switch to single channel mode via a programmable key. That was a wish list of mine. Glad it was added instead of having to dig through radio menus.

Too bad they can't fix the GPS locking satellites. Takes forever to get a green lock if I get one at all.
I've done the APRS TX and showed up on aprs.fi One thing that's annoying is I have APRS tone off and even though the radio can't receive messages and decode them...It sure receives that tone noise and that radio even shows the receiving screen. That needs to be muted. I wonder if I can put a PL Tone on the RX and that prevent me from hearing it. It would be nice to be able to get messages on it though.

rdlinn

Premium Subscriber
I have searched the world over for an answer to this without much luck. I just got a Radioddity db25 d, and for the life of me I can't get it to communicate with the software. I've tried DRS cps v3.3 and bought the DB 25 programmer from RTSystems. The com port reads the cable because it changes every time I switch ports but I keep getting "data mistake" message and "no response" message respectively. I'm not ignorant to this as I have programmed several Anytones, Retevis, Baofengs etc. Surely there is a simple fix for this, please help?!

rdlinn

Premium Subscriber
I have searched the world over for an answer to this without much luck. I just got a Radioddity db25 d, and for the life of me I can't get it to communicate with the software. I've tried DRS cps v3.3 and bought the DB 25 programmer from RTSystems. The com port reads the cable because it changes every time I switch ports but I keep getting "data mistake" message and "no response" message respectively. I'm not ignorant to this as I have programmed several Anytones, Retevis, Baofengs etc. Surely there is a simple fix for this, please help?!
Bad USB cable right out of the box... hopefully not a "sign"

kd2ugs

I am ASSUMING the problem you are having is with write. You probably have "bad" values in your data. Take a look at what I wrote on the Retevis RT73 (same radio) over here: RT73 HowTo: DMR Ham Radio notes and CPS Initial setup and configuration.. The radio does have bugs the killer one for me was the advertised DTMF does not work (and will never work as it's a hardware problem). There IS a third-party programming option that is the best one that I've found so do yourself a favor and use this one try Codeplug Editor by David MM7DBT. You should ALSO do more research when buying a radio - I don't think this one (with its myriad brand name changes) has a very good reputation.. On a side note my license is KD2WLL - if anyone knows how to get this site/forum to use my REAL license drop me a note (you can read my blog about tech to general upgrades FCC quirks and KEEPING your vanity license if you want to know why its KD2WLL and NOT kd2ugs)

W9LW

Premium Subscriber
... unlike ANY of my other DMR radios, the DB25-D requires a Receive Group List be assigned to the channel definition and that list MUST contain the desired TG in addition to having it specified under "Contact" in the channel definition.
Radioddity resolved this issue with the July 2023 version of the DB25-D firmware. Upgrade your firmware and receive groups will no longer be necessary.

pozharnik

Premium Subscriber
I have DMR working perfectly. Though - I did have some odd issues initially, setting the timeslot. At one time I felt it was transmitting on both timeslots, but I managed in the end by turning an odd 'auto' parameter on/off, setting the time slot again.

The radio even receives a channel that I was unable to program into my TYT UV-380 - possibly due to promiscious mode - even though I had both timeslot, talkgroup and color code for this channel (a read-only channel I monitor)

I feel once programmed, it is an excellent radio, CPS just need a lot of work. For your DMR issue, it might be the frequent issue across chinese handsets, that you MUST have a DMR monitor/listen group attached to the channel. Double check the group is listed for the channel and the group contains the channel - two places.

I also have all channels in scan groups
I know this thread is rather old, and this post is from 4 years ago, however I'm running into the issue of my DB25D occasionally opening up a talkgroup on both time slots of a repeater. @OldRabbit , if possible can you enlighten me on the "auto" parameter that was causing you problems? Or does anyone else have any ideas? I'm stumped.

KQ4LOI

Is there a way to send a message or SMS via APRS It can be helpful when trying to spot yourself for a POTA/