RAFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightningx54

Feed Provider/Amateur Radio Operator
Feed Provider
Anyone else have RAFS in their scanner? What's it used for? I'm hearing in digital noise on RAFS east..

Anyone else have RAFS in their scanner? What's it used for?..

Simply put - Regional Access Frequencies (RAFS) allows communications with other Police Agencies who use RAFS.

Example - Car Chase that leads PD into another town - allows cars to talk to each other on the designated common RAFS frequency.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
For north central Connecticut (basically greater Hartford), Hotline, RAFS and over the line from MA, WMLEC - is what you want to listen to for law enforcement cross border stuff. The hotline is also used for some fire mutual aid purposes (Red Plan, etc).

cg

Premium Subscriber
The only P25 I see licensed is WMLEC in Northern MA. but I did not do a huge radius. I have never heard anything digital but I use the PL for RAFS. My UHF PS searches are not that often so it is easy to miss

chris

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Noise you are prob hearing is MDC1200 radio ID that some radios have on, reguardless if its used or not at the console level

lightningx54

Feed Provider
Noise you are prob hearing is MDC1200 radio ID that some radios have on, reguardless if its used or not at the console level

No, I know what MDC-1200. I am a Motorola guru and Firefighter. I only use Motorola Equipment. When I listen I mostly hear clear transmissions but some times i hear almost like bursts of trunking noise or P25.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Holy thread resurrection Batman

cg

Premium Subscriber
Never heard any such noise on it. I suppose if someone had secure capable analog radios they could program a channel for secure RAFS but I have never noticed it.
There might be another local user but with PL you wouldn't hear them.

chris

ecps92

Adjacent channel bleed over ? +/- 12.5 Khz ?

Never heard any such noise on it. I suppose if someone had secure capable analog radios they could program a channel for secure RAFS but I have never noticed it.
There might be another local user but with PL you wouldn't hear them.

chris

PJH

Premium Subscriber
That's what I am guessing. I've never heard anything as described on the base radios. I'm guessing intermod on his scanner or something similar.

There is a possibility of someone linked over to rafs and and tone noise making it across but I highly doubt it. Also I don't think it was mentioned if it was rafs east or rafs west.

xplorer417

hi all not sure where u from but a town In Hampshire county uses rafs freq here it is
460.17500 RM 173.8 PL Amherst PD 2 Police Secondary FMN Law Tac not sure if they have that capable plus the same town has Vernon's pd ch 2 460.3250

lightningx54

Feed Provider
At work now. Just read your replys. I'll check east or west when I get home and reply back. Not a problem just kind of weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.